U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2019, 07:51 AM

10,998 posts, read 7,471,487 times

Advertisements

As it should be. If you earn $3 billion a year you should pay at least $1 billion in taxes not like Jeff Bezos who pays zero.

The 1% has expendable income and can afford to pay it. They don't need it for day to day expenses. Many are just hoarding money and taking it out of the economy or using it for campaign contributions to make more money that they will never spend or use or need.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 06:13 PM

4,322 posts, read 1,052,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeIsGood01 View Post
As it should be. If you earn $3 billion a year you should pay at least $1 billion in taxes not like Jeff Bezos who pays zero.

The 1% has expendable income and can afford to pay it. They don't need it for day to day expenses. Many are just hoarding money and taking it out of the economy or using it for campaign contributions to make more money that they will never spend or use or need.
No, AMAZON pays zero. You don't know what Bezos pays. And you don't have a right to STEAL someone else's money because YOU decide they have too much.

Old Yesterday, 06:17 PM

5,350 posts, read 5,030,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
And you don't have a right to STEAL someone else's money because YOU decide they have too much.
Taxes aren't theft.

Old Yesterday, 06:29 PM

4,322 posts, read 1,052,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rruff View Post
Taxes aren't theft.
At a certain point, they are.

Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM

526 posts, read 104,104 times
Quote:
Taxes aren't theft.
They are forced contributions ... not voluntary so therefore extortion is more apt.

Old Yesterday, 07:25 PM

1,545 posts, read 346,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingvanmorrison View Post
It's CRIMINAL that so many big corporations and rich people pay zero or a very small % of taxes while I am on social security and still have to pay $400 because I made an extra $3000 GROSS or so with my small business.
Corporations never, ever pay taxes. They merely collect and forward tax revenue to the various taxing authorities at the Federal, State and Local levels just as your local grocery store collects and forwards sales tax on the items you purchase. The actual burden of those income taxes falls on people:
  • Customers in the form of prices higher than they otherwise would be
  • Employees in the form of wages (and hours worked) less than they otherwise would be
  • Business owners in the form of profits lower than they otherwise would be

The mantra of "Big corporations not paying their fair share" is a shibboleth of the progressive left and proto-Stalinists intended to rile up the weak minded.

Quote:
No one living on Social Security should pay taxes. Period.
If you're referring to income taxes, I agree.

But the way you phrase that, you might just mean what you said - no taxes period. That means no property taxes, no sales taxes, no inheritance taxes, no gift taxes, no excise taxes, no gasoline taxes, no utility taxes, etc. I think that goes too far.

Quote:
... the rich should be paying at least 30% across the board, no loopholes.
First, I agree with you, so long as the definition of rich is "someone with at least $100 more than me." Are you OK with that definition?

Second, please list 5 loopholes. Just 5. These loophole comments are largely a figment of the progressive left.

Third, let's take a rich person. Let's say 100% of her investments are tied up in Tax Free Municipal Bonds - she is investing so a local municipality can build a needed school or hospital via those Tax Free Municipal Bonds. Should she pay zero income tax as promised by those Tax Free Municipal Bonds issued for the benefit of the community, or should she pay 30% as you suggest?

Fourth, Let's take that rich person who has 100% of her investments tied up in Tax Free Municipal Bonds. She has no federal income tax obligation. So, movingvanmorrison, how are you personally worse off?

Last edited by RationalExpectations; Yesterday at 08:33 PM..

Old Yesterday, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnsmith5a View Post
I want a tax cut.
And I want a pony.

Wait. No, I don't want a pony. I want a Porsche. 911 GT2 RS.
Wait. Instead I want a La Ferrari.
No. Make that a McLaren Senna GTR.

Wait. I want them all.

And a pony, too.
And a puppy.

And a tax cut.

Last edited by RationalExpectations; Yesterday at 08:34 PM..

Old Yesterday, 08:12 PM

5,350 posts, read 5,030,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taksan View Post
They are forced contributions ... not voluntary so therefore extortion is more apt.
So is every other law. Why should we be forced to obey them under threat of fines and imprisonment?

Actually they are voluntary. You can either get the law changed or move to some tax free utopia like Somalia... only there you really will be extorted like crazy.

Ponder why every other developed country has higher taxes and better public benefits than the US...

Old Yesterday, 08:22 PM

Quote:
You're facts are a bit off the mark.

Jeff Bezos has made the same $81,840 salary for two decades. He has never taken a stock award. Your "$3 Billion a year" is a canard perpetrated by the Unthinking Left on the Uneducated Left just to rile them up.

Quote:
The 1% has expendable income and can afford to pay it.
How would that make you, personally, LifeIsGood01, better off?

And, more importantly, What does "afford" have to do with anything? (or, imagine Tina Turner belting it out, "What's 'Afford' Got To Do With It, Got to Do with it...")

Quote:
They don't need it for day to day expenses.
And your point is... ?

Quote:
Many are just hoarding money and taking it out of the economy
In your world, it seems there are two possibilities:
  • Spend it
  • Hoard it, taking it out of the economy

Please note that "hoard" means "save." Money not spent is saved.

In aggregate, the total of all Savings equals the total of all Investment. S=I. So, by saving (hoarding), one person provides funds so a small business person can invest in more equipment and hire more people.

Remind me how that is bad, again?

Quote:
or using it for campaign contributions to make more money that they will never spend or use or need.
Let's look at the 20 top political campaign contributors:
  • Service Employees International Union $289,670,243 where 99.6% went to Democrats
  • Fahr LLC $238,743,185 where 100% went to Democrats
  • Las Vegas Sands $175,618,707 where 100% went to Republicans
  • Bloomberg LP $150,431,913 where 99.5% went to Democrats
  • National Education Association $143,581,158 where 97.2% went to Democrats
  • Carpenters & Joiners Union $133,440,420 where 96.2% went to Democrats
  • American Federation of Teachers Union $125,756,990 where 99.7% went to Democrats
  • American Federation of State/County/Municipal Employees $123,752,577 where 99.5% went to Democrats
  • Laborers Union $119,546,754 where 96.2% went to Democrats
  • Renaissance Technologies $115,233,054 where 58.3% went to Democrats
  • National Association of Realtors $101,696,559 where there was a 48/52 split between Democrats & Republicans
  • Soros Fund Management $92,539,113 where 98.2% went to Democrats
  • Newsweb Corp $91,236,611 where 100% went to Democrats
  • International Brotherhood of Electrical Workers $87,559,326 where 98.5% went to Democrats
  • Paloma Partners $81,591,521 where 99.8% went to Democrats
  • AT&T $80,834,628 where there was a 41/59 split between Democrats & Republicans
  • United Food & Commercial Workers Union $77,239,111 where 99.6% went to Democrats
  • Uline Inc $73,203,071 where 100% went to Republicans
  • NextGen Climate Action $71,511,181 where 100% went to Democrats
  • AFL-CIO $69,228,105 where 97.9% went to Democrats

The big organizational contributors -- mostly unions, and mostly to Democrats -- swamp individual contributors -- even the rich individual contributors.

Last edited by RationalExpectations; Yesterday at 09:26 PM..

Old Yesterday, 09:18 PM

8,069 posts, read 8,876,109 times
Quote:

Ponder why every other developed country has higher taxes and better public benefits than the US...
Where do people who lean left come up with this stuff?

OECD data for 2018 public social welfare spending as a percentage of GDP
US 18.7%
Australia 17.8%
Canada 17.3%
Netherlands 16.7%
Switzerland 16%
Iceland 16%
Ireland 14.4%
Korea 11.1%

OECD Total Social Welfare spending world rankings (public 2018 + private 2015 ((yea I know that's weird))) again in %GDP.
1. France 31.2%
2. USA 30.0%
3. Belgium 26.7%
4. Netherlands 26.3%
5. Denmark 25.4%

It's just silly to claim that the US does not provide "enough" social welfare largess. What we've done by giving away so much is create permanent and growing cadres of people who are utterly helpless.

As a friend of mine from Northern India says often. "Poor people from The US have color TVs, cars and are overwhelmingly fat (he's an MD FWIIW) poor people in India often face near-starvation conditions, many of their children with never reach their height potential and will be otherwise stunted, color TVs are rare. Most poor Americans would be dead within 2-weeks if they traded spots with an Indian of relatively similar station. While the Indians would find jobs."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or