Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2019, 09:53 PM

7,654 posts, read 5,114,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
You have absolutely no filter on stating whatever pops into your head as fact, regardless of whether it is easily proven false. DOJ prosecutes hundreds of white collar crime cases every month.

Curious = have you ever seen real combat? I question whether you'd like it either.

Woz is worth 100 million, he's no Jobs but it's silly to rail against the rich as being useless while pointing out Woz was the brains behind Apple.

Who invented Amazon? Facebook? Google? Microsoft? Oracle?
Considering jobs really was nothing but a hype man and an arrogant sociopath the percentage difference in there wealth is staggering.

Wasniak if he is in fact worth that much is very lucky, most inventors are stolen from and end up homeless or broke look at Tesla

And no doj does not prosecute anti trust anymore and they don’t have agents entrenched in corporations so who knows what crimes are being committed but can’t be prosecuted because it’s buried in corporate servers with no over sight.

I notice corporate apologists never ever ever like to tackle anti trust because there is no nuance they exploit, if it were to be enforced it would mean automatic bust up of companies.

Last edited by pittsflyer; 02-23-2019 at 10:03 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2019, 10:12 PM

37,464 posts, read 61,388,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Yep that’s what happens when people like taxphd remain smug and combative to the very end, they will get to see real combat and they won’t like it.
There is a good possibility that all of us will live to see a Civil War version 2 soon.

Quote:
... There “thousands of vets with guns” will have surprisingly little leverage as most vets va benifits is used as political leverage and many vets are homeless due to billionaires.
I do not see any connection between billionaires and homeless vets.

Vets are homeless often because it is hard transitioning from Active Duty to Civilian.

Quote:
... We will have nazi America because the rich want to hold on to the good life as much as possible.
I do not believe that.

If you adopt the NAZI agenda you can not blame your actions on someone else.

Are you trying to say that WWII was the fault of the Jews?

Quote:
... Much of this will be exasperated by good people not standing up to defend the wicked mega corps and billionaires. I won’t engage nor support billionaires but I would support those who are against the super rich (we are talking super rich not some guy with a few million) so long as the support looks to be overwhelming and victor assured to just pound these people into dust.
We live in a consumer culture. You 'stand up' to the corporations by how you spend your cash.

Every dollar you spend influences the economy.

If you dont like the big corporations, then you need to stop giving them your cash.

Quote:
... There will be little loss because most super rich are not the actual inventors craftsmen or laborers. They are charlirand, sociopath spin doctors good at strategy to screw people, they typically add little value.

Even Apple Steve wasniak was the real inventor, Steve Jobs was just a vile human being, there were reports he was hostile to employees and cut wasniak out of the deal. This is typical of most mega corps genisis story so if they are snuffed our its no big loss just put the actual inventors back in charge.
This is a very good example of exactly how the NAZI platform has been adapted.

Your open hatred for the wealthy, is very much like the hatred for the Jews in 1920.

Old 02-23-2019, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
There is a good possibility that all of us will live to see a Civil War version 2 soon.

I do not see any connection between billionaires and homeless vets.

Vets are homeless often because it is hard transitioning from Active Duty to Civilian.

I do not believe that.

If you adopt the NAZI agenda you can not blame your actions on someone else.

Are you trying to say that WWII was the fault of the Jews?

We live in a consumer culture. You 'stand up' to the corporations by how you spend your cash.

Every dollar you spend influences the economy.

If you dont like the big corporations, then you need to stop giving them your cash.

This is a very good example of exactly how the NAZI platform has been adapted.

Your open hatred for the wealthy, is very much like the hatred for the Jews in 1920.
Then maybe they should have thought twice about their creation of a McJob economy and how they subject their employees to aborant behavior and mass lay offs and low pay.

It is righous anger as corporate behavior is vile and aborant.

Old 02-23-2019, 11:56 PM

10,742 posts, read 5,668,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE1SG View Post
I wonder what the percentage of tax paid versus wealth would be...? The wealth gap continues to grow at an unprecedented rate. If...... (and I don't know the correct numbers) the 1% owned 70% of all wealth, yet paid only 50% of taxes, wouldn't that mean that the 99% owned 30% of all wealth, yet paid 50% of taxes?? Seems perfectly fair to me.. lol.

I'm sure the REAL numbers are no where near that.... right???
Whatever the numbers are, they are irrelevant. Why? Because we have an income tax, not a wealth tax.

Old 02-23-2019, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Well that kinda makes sense. The top 1% have 40% of the wealth and they pay 43% of the taxes.

The top 10% have 75% of the wealth.

So at first glance the tax numbers make sense.
See the post above.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pittsflyer View Post
Yep that’s what happens when people like taxphd remain smug and combative to the very end, they will get to see real combat and they won’t like it. There “thousands of vets with guns” will have surprisingly little leverage as most vets va benifits is used as political leverage and many vets are homeless due to billionaires. <<SNIP>>
All one has to do to see your champions is to go to an Antifa rally. They are your malcontent army.

I’m not concerned.

Old 02-24-2019, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaxPhd View Post
All one has to do to see your champions is to go to an Antifa rally. They are your malcontent army.

I’m not concerned.
Anything done will be done through votes of the majority. I dont really care if your worried or not.

Old 02-24-2019, 02:30 AM

11,025 posts, read 7,838,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
New projections for 2018 regarding Personal (Individual) Income Taxes
  • Top 1% will pay a total of 43% of ALL Personal Federal Income Taxes Paid
  • Top 20% will pay a total of 87% of ALL Personal Federal Income Taxes Paid
  • Bottom 60% will pay a total of 4% of ALL Personal Federal Income Taxes Paid

The share of Personal (Individual) Federal Income Taxes Paid by the Top 1% is higher than it has ever been. Period.

That kind of takes the wind out of the sails of some of the candidates for the Democratic Presidential Nomination whose platform consists of tax cuts for the middle-class.

It clearly torpedoes the political rhetoric on the extreme left who claim the wealthy get special breaks and loopholes and avoid paying taxes altogether.

ETA: I edited my original post above to make it clearer (I hope).

The bottom line: we are funding our federal government with a smaller & smaller fraction of the population.
The key question neither asked nor answered here is "what is the total income of that 1 percent?" Is it higher or lower than 43% of all individual income?

Another question that would be relevant is "what metric is used to determine or define the 'top one percent'?" If 150 million people file tax returns are there 1,500,000 in the top one percent or is it only about one million if a third of those filing have no tax obligation and therefore do not "pay" income tax?

And an interesting anecdote would be to see what individual had the highest income and paid zero taxes.

Old 02-24-2019, 04:50 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
So here’s a thought. Imagine the income of the lower 99% is equally distributed such that their entire tax burden is tiny. Even added together that total can never account for more than say 2% of all tax payments. At this extreme of course the top 1% income wise is paying 98% of all the taxes as they are the only ones with any money.

So as the inequality grows the tax disparity inevitably grows as well. It must. All an observer needs to do is extrapolate to the most extreme case to see that this will happen. When those who are currently in the top 1% have all the money they will pay all the taxes and the peons will be left to starve—or stage a revolution, something most of us don’t want

Old 02-24-2019, 06:00 AM

5,772 posts, read 3,222,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
New projections for 2018 regarding Personal (Individual) Income Taxes
  • Top 1% will pay a total of 43% of ALL Personal Federal Income Taxes Paid
  • Top 20% will pay a total of 87% of ALL Personal Federal Income Taxes Paid
  • Bottom 60% will pay a total of 4% of ALL Personal Federal Income Taxes Paid

The share of Personal (Individual) Federal Income Taxes Paid by the Top 1% is higher than it has ever been. Period.

That kind of takes the wind out of the sails of some of the candidates for the Democratic Presidential Nomination whose platform consists of tax cuts for the middle-class.

It clearly torpedoes the political rhetoric on the extreme left who claim the wealthy get special breaks and loopholes and avoid paying taxes altogether.

ETA: I edited my original post above to make it clearer (I hope).

The bottom line: we are funding our federal government with a smaller & smaller fraction of the population.

You never cited a source.
Nothing above adds up to 100%.

The quality of your report or clear lack of it, indicates that this thread should be moved to the politics and controversy forum so that those without economic training can quickly agree with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics