U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 10:45 AM

4,714 posts, read 11,822,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornsnicker3 View Post
I have yet to understand how the national conversation isn't about the change in net tax burden. If you want a higher refund, just add it to your W-4. Believe me, the IRS loves holding your money (although too much and they might audit you).
Really, you can't believe it? 80% of the population is financially clueless as far as I can tell.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2019, 03:36 PM

1,774 posts, read 474,526 times
CPA finally got back to me (he is very thorough). We'd owe about 4.5k without pass through loss and owe only about $20 thanks to S-Corp. NY State we will get back $5k. W-2 total joint return around $200k. I think there may be some truth to the under-withholding problem but it's hard to tell because I always deliberately claim exempt for at least 2 paychecks so I expect to get no refund.

If you earn $75k+ in NYC and haven't gone into business for yourself, start now. Bottom line you will save on taxes and pay yourself instead of the IRS/NYS Dept of Finance. Get some side clients and incorporate yourself. And obviously get a good CPA that analyzes your bank statements. That's my best advice. I could probably make his life easier though by ensuring my biz/personal is separated 100% of the time, I'm up from 50% prior to 2016 to 75% of the time though this year

Old Today, 03:59 PM

208 posts, read 77,924 times
Just sent mine in this afternoon.

Only was a home-owner for Jan/Feb of 2018. Sold it back in my old home state.
Was on the bench without a check for about three months (Feb/Mar/Apr) in 2018.
Had to move from Aurora to Boulder (Colorado) for a new position. So my income
was about 2/3 to 3/4 of normal.

Four dependent children but I think the child credit goes *poof* when you hit ~$54,000.

Still got a refund of $11,100 (Federal) and $450 (Colorado).

I need to reduce my withholding. Just bough a condo, so my interest deduction will make
next year's refund larger (all other facets being equal). Increasing my take-home will
about cover my HOA fees.

Now I can scratch doing my taxes off my to-do list and focus on replacing all the old
stuff in the condo (35 yr old Furnace, 20 yr old Hot Water Heater, terrible Electrical
Panel - Federal Pacific - fraught with risks and hazards) and moving my few possessions
an SUV load at a time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or