U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2019, 06:36 PM

31 posts, read 11,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpollen View Post
It's not frugal to keep two vehicles, if you don't NEED to. It's expensive to keep a 2nd vehicle: registration, inspections, maintenance, repairs, tires, insurance.

It's frugal to have one decent vehicle that suits all or most of your needs. (You can always rent a vehicle to go on a long trip, for example.)

That 1996 Tacoma may end up costing you a fortune in repairs.

If it were me, I'd opt for a 10 year old vehicle, or newer, with as low mileage as possible, in decent condition, that looks like it was well maintained. With decent tires.

If it were me, I'd probably start w/checking out Toyota RAVs from about 2010 w/traction control. I don't know how much repairs on Toyotas cost. You need to consider that.

Since I'm female, my first consideration would be a used Honda CR-V, preferably with AWD. But warning: CR-Vs are thought of as kinda girly cars, I think. But Hondas cost a bit less than Toyotas, and are reasonable cost for repairs. And easy to get worked on at most repair shops.

A used Subaru would be best for AWD, but Subarus cost more, I think. And are pricier to have repaired than Toyotas or Hondas (I used to have a Forester). OTOH, Subarus have AWD in I think all its models, so more choices. Subaru has a crossover in between its sedans and its SUVs. Not as good on gas mileage as a Honda. Subarus, like Toyotas, have utilitarian interiors. Not great sound systems or nice upholstery. Like Toyotas. They're both owned by Fuji, I think.

Keep in mind the size of the vehicle. An Outback, one of the Subarus that have a nicer interior, is long and needs a decent sized garage. Most other Subarus are more compact sized, so easier to park, fit into garages, etc.

As far as cost goes, think beyond the sticker price. You will have registration and other costs added to that, plus sales tax. I'd shoot for spending about $10,000, plus taxes and fees.

For me, the most economical would be a CR-V. Honda excels at interiors, good sound systems. But it'd be hard to find a used one with AWD. THe type of AWD that Toyota and Honda have don't compare with the Subaru AWD. I like AWD but don't need it. You seem like you need it.

You need a solid, reliable, cost-effective vehicle to serve you for as many years as possible, w/o costing you much in maintenance and repairs, so you can build up your savings again. If that's your main goal, it'd be a Honda or Toyota, over the Subaru. If you can do w/o AWD. If you have to have AWD, that will limit your choices, but you can still find one probably. May cost you a bit more.

You can probably get more bang for your buck with a Honda. And there are dealerships and repair shops everywhere that work on Honda. Parts are easy to get. There's a reason that so many people have Hondas.

Finally, when dealing for a used car, don't forget to check out cost of insurance. Ins rates for small Hondas may be more than for a larger Toyota, simply because they are less safe. They're safe, but costs for accidents are higher, so higher ins. rates.

When negotiating, read up on how to do that for a used car. Unlike new cars, each used car is unique. Read "Honest Guide to Buying a Car." There's a chapter on used cars. Lots of information. How to Buy a New or Used Car and Get the Best Deal Every Time - RealCarTips.com near the bottom of the page. It's free to read it on the site.
Thank you. Very good advice here. Iíve kind of been looking at Honda fits. Itís also worth mentioning that I am 6í3Ē 216 pounds and have been spoiled by full-size trucks and smaller Toyota trucks in the past.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2019, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
With either vehicle, you run the risk of needing some expensive repairs - even though your trusted mechanic says the vehicle is fine today. I'm thinking of things such as the water pump, radiator, the alternator, power steering pump, starter motor, A/C compressor, and actually the transmission itself, depending on if prior owners performed proper maintenance. Your mechanic probably told you the condition of the brakes. What did he say about the Transmission fluid?

One thing you can do for about $25 (maybe its $35) is engine oil analysis. You take a small sample of the existing engine oil and send it off to a lab; they send you back a report regarding what they find. Here are some things they report:

For more than you ever wanted to know about used engine oil analysis, spend some time on https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/.

I live in snow country (we've had about 250 inches of snow so far this winter) and I understand completely the need for AWD or 4WD. Don't forget you should have snow tires as well - AWD/4WD help you "go" but do not help you "stop." You need winter/snow tires to help stop -- not only when there is snow/ice on the pavement but when the pavement is clear while the temperature is below about 30 degrees (snow tires are made from a different compound that grips better than all-season tires when it gets cold).

While I see some AWD sedans and station wagons, most everyone drives AWD/4WD crossovers, SUVs, and pickups. Ground clearance counts.

One thing to consider: hypothetically you could put a lightweight, small snow plow on it (full size plows require a 3/4 ton truck), and pick up some $$$ in the winter plowing some local driveways the morning after a big storm.
Iíve had a Jetta as a rental up here before and it was snowing nonstop. I was wishing for 4X4 or AWD and mainly just more ground clearance

Old 02-25-2019, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Well, you are on the right track. I personally couldn't recommend a purchase on a 23 year old vehicle, even a Toyota. Keep looking around, and don't limit yourself to only Toyota or Honda. There a are plenty of good vehicles in the 2006 to 2010 range which if you shop carefully, would be a better buy than the '96 Toyota. Good luck!
What do you think about the 2007 4Runner?

Old 02-25-2019, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
What kind of mpg do the vehicles get? How much do you drive in a year?
Tacoma gets around 22 combined
4runner gets around 18 combined

I drive about 15,000 a year

Old 02-25-2019, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
How long are you thinking of taking to save up the house down payment? If you are going to be keeping that car for a while I'd suggest going with a more compact car with under 100k miles for the same price. Otherwise you raise the effective cost of your mountain biking hobby to $2,000+ per year. Is it worth that much to you?
Yeah Iíve looked into that. 2013 corollas with 50,000 ish miles go for around $9000 here

Old 02-25-2019, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Loud View Post
Get the truck. It's an awesome deal. There is a reason used Tacoma's are expensive. You can't kill them. It's going to outlast your plan.

Good luck in your savings and getting the new house!
Exactly! Thatís what I am leaning towards. Put 100,000 miles and can still sell it if I want to for close to what I paid. Itís insane the resale value. And thanks

Old 02-25-2019, 09:31 PM

4,049 posts, read 2,296,766 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by damba View Post
You are young. Grab the truck for $6K and move on with your life. Later on you will chuckle when you recall this particular non-fork in the road
This.

I was going to say buy the $6k and be done with it. Run it into the ground.

But dont buy another vehicle either unless or until you have a family that the $6k wont work for.

And whi cares about picking up chicks? You want a chick that will love you for your frugalness, agrees cash flowing a reliable vehicle is the way to go, and who stretches every dollar till George Washington screams in agony.

Best to you in your decision.

Old Yesterday, 05:11 AM

12,656 posts, read 6,614,401 times
Alaska has snow plows. How often do you encounter roads where a FWD car with good snow tires and chains in the back just in case isn’t going to get you there? In most cases, the AWD and ground clearance is a convenience so you don’t have to shovel to get out of your parking spot. If you earned a lot more money, you could spend the discretionary income for the convenience. With $40k gross, you want an economical and reliable car that will run for 10 years without doing much to it.

I used to have a big commute and a vacation home at a Vermont ski resort. I had VW GTIs as my daily driver. I’m bigger than you. Skis fit inside just fine. With Nokians, they were excellent snow cars. I’m not suggesting a GTI but there are reliable compact and midsized cars where a 6’2” guy fits comfortably and skis fit in the back on the diagonal. You can always put bars on the roof and/or bolt on a receiver hitch to haul your toys around.

In 2019, you don’t need to limit yourself to just Honda and Toyota. Pretty much everyone makes a midsized sedan that will go 150,000+ miles without doing much to it. At your price point, how the car was driven and maintained matters more than make and model.

Old Yesterday, 12:09 PM

2,655 posts, read 3,186,157 times
Just get the Tacoma and be done with it. You could drive that Tacoma as long as you felt like maintaining and repairing it.

Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
This.

I was going to say buy the $6k and be done with it. Run it into the ground.

But dont buy another vehicle either unless or until you have a family that the $6k wont work for.

And whi cares about picking up chicks? You want a chick that will love you for your frugalness, agrees cash flowing a reliable vehicle is the way to go, and who stretches every dollar till George Washington screams in agony.

Best to you in your decision.

Love this ^^ actually kind of weeds out the garbage women if you ask me. If she really likes/loves you, she wonít care and will support it. I donít need no Mercedes driving, princess. But thanks for the comment!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or