U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM

31 posts, read 11,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Alaska has snow plows. How often do you encounter roads where a FWD car with good snow tires and chains in the back just in case isnít going to get you there? In most cases, the AWD and ground clearance is a convenience so you donít have to shovel to get out of your parking spot. If you earned a lot more money, you could spend the discretionary income for the convenience. With $40k gross, you want an economical and reliable car that will run for 10 years without doing much to it.

I used to have a big commute and a vacation home at a Vermont ski resort. I had VW GTIs as my daily driver. Iím bigger than you. Skis fit inside just fine. With Nokians, they were excellent snow cars. Iím not suggesting a GTI but there are reliable compact and midsized cars where a 6í2Ē guy fits comfortably and skis fit in the back on the diagonal. You can always put bars on the roof and/or bolt on a receiver hitch to haul your toys around.

In 2019, you donít need to limit yourself to just Honda and Toyota. Pretty much everyone makes a midsized sedan that will go 150,000+ miles without doing much to it. At your price point, how the car was driven and maintained matters more than make and model.
They do... but we have had budget cuts and they sold a lot of surplus off. Werenít getting much snow since our 2011-2012 record winter. They donít plow as often and some very common streets are pretty bad. My friends wife has a Kia Soul and is always complains about it and she even has good studded tires. Itís just the ground clearance. But you are right 40K gross doesnít earn me the right to have a super nice, costly car.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 05:15 AM

12,656 posts, read 6,614,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skisnow92 View Post
They do... but we have had budget cuts and they sold a lot of surplus off. Werenít getting much snow since our 2011-2012 record winter. They donít plow as often and some very common streets are pretty bad. My friends wife has a Kia Soul and is always complains about it and she even has good studded tires. Itís just the ground clearance. But you are right 40K gross doesnít earn me the right to have a super nice, costly car.

A Kia Soul has 6.5" of ground clearance. With studded tires, what's the problem? That will get you down an unplowed, driven-on street. It's not like it's a slammed rice rocket with summer tires. You can also buy inexpensive lift kits for a lot of the Japanese econoboxes. You can get a Civic up to about 8" with 2" strut spacers. You don't have a traction problem with FWD and good snow tires. You don't need a truck to address the ground clearance issue if the plowing is that bad. A truck doubles your operating costs. Fuel burn is more. Tires are costly.

Old Today, 09:01 AM

2,713 posts, read 1,106,093 times
Quote:
You are totally right. I’m not looking at the big picture. I’m just scared of a big snow fall and not being able to clear it with a sedan. I’ve owned trucks before and they just plow right through. But realistically that happens like, once a year. I’m very skidish about Subaru’s pre 2011. Lots of head gasket problems and timing belt issues and their CVT automatic transmissions are straight garbage. It would have to be a post 2011 manual for me to feel happy with getting a Subaru. I’ve owned two foresters in the past (2001 and 2007) and they were both very poor. The 2007 was a lemon. Ideal I’d want a AWD Toyota Matrix. There is a 2006 near me with 143,000 but he’s asking $7400 which is a bit much. But 26 city 31 HWY and AWD
If I were you, knowing that having a truck is a one-off thing that can wait until you save more money for a truck you actually like. Just buy a Toyota sedan. Camry/Corolla.
Get something like within 10 years old, they last forever. My first Camry was a 2002 and I drove the thing until 260k miles, still got decent gas mileage for the car (crap compared to today's cars of course). Was reliable, AC worked great, etc.. Nothing to be scared of buying a used car with over 100k miles if it's a Toyota. That's barely getting started - mechanically speaking if it was well maintained.

Old Today, 10:19 AM

4,784 posts, read 2,472,441 times
Quote:
Hey guys! I am kind of struggling with trying to choose a reliable vehicle. Itís got to be a Toyota or Honda. So I can get a 1996 Tacoma low miles (139,000) and 4X4 5 speed xtra cab with a 4 cylinder (very very reliable and known to last years) itís been inspected by a shop and they said itís perfect and gave me the green light. No frame rust anywhere. Itís $6000 but if you look around youíll see rusted out Tacomaís or 4runners from that era that are 270,000 miles asking the same amount. They hold their value very well cause they last. Iíve seen 400,000 to a million miles on these. The plan with the Tacoma is to run it into the ground so I can save up for a duplex or triplex or even just a single home of my own and once property is bought buy a corolla or Camry to daily drive and have the truck for truck stuff and blizzards. I need a 4x4 or AWD where I live and do multiple trips to the family cabin through brutal conditions. The other option is to buy a newer, safer, 4runner. Itís a 2007 with 121,000 miles. Itís 13,300. Iíd like that instead but moneyís tight and I feel like it would be more to maintain than the bare bones Tacoma. All though it can seat 4 and presents a better image to outsiders.

So a bit about my money.

Make about $800 a week gross
Really early in my career
Have about $17,500 cash saved up
Kind of hard to build that kind of cash up with my income.
I have a Roth IRA that I contribute to monthly for my retirement I started at 24 (26 now)

So spend 13,300 and have $4200 left
Or spend $6000 and have a stil reliable as heck but older truck and have $11,500 left over.

Let me know what your thoughts are. Iím looking for answers of people who have been through a similar fork in the road.
Get the cheapest one. Tacomas don't break with regular maintenance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or