U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2019, 07:13 AM

29,155 posts, read 46,204,852 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post
What does this paper work entail? Proving the diagnosis, treatment, result and fees were correct?

How does one catch people who do fraud?

When Obamacare went into effect, my doctor was required to put all my medicare records on a computer. That took some time. But now, others can read my record.
No UNAUTHORIZED person can read your record
And if you aren’t defrauding anyone with illegal/spurious claims you don’t have anything to worry about
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2019, 09:10 AM

2,155 posts, read 1,437,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
But there again—you take profit out of the economy—
Consider what would happen if there were no junk food companies—no Coke, Pepsi, Frito Lay, Red Bull, etc...
These companies provide jobs, taxes, and keep some smaller towns afloat w/their production plants and warehouses/shipping operations...

I am not disagreeing with your premise—
Diet definitely has a huge impact on how healthy people are and the rise of obesity in this country and around the world as other countries are sourced out for new territory and see their citizens made new clients for these companies...

That is hardly a good reason to keep unhealthy food around in mass..so people have jobs. There are other jobs and there will be demand for other type of food. avocado toast plant. Plus it will all balance out between making less money from having less of Coke/Pepsi and health care costing less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vision33r View Post
A doctor I met from Germany says that she gets paid a comfortable salary by the hospital and a government pension so she doesn't worry much. She's already retired and said the US system sucks and the doctors here are overcharging people and they rush through everything instead of providing quality service.
Yet I have friends who are family doctors in USA complaining they don't make enough money & medical field doesn't pay enough for years spent studying. Shows the perspective American have vs. other nations.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:30 AM

697 posts, read 128,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv95 View Post
A new financial system needs to be put in place, and it may be sooner than you think. It's gonna suck but it has to be done. Heck just return to US Notes.
That's just silly.

Old 02-28-2019, 09:40 AM

697 posts, read 128,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
Just saw post on FB by Robert Reich ...
I stopped reading right there.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:42 AM

3,287 posts, read 1,489,633 times
Quote:
What does this paper work entail? Proving the diagnosis, treatment, result and fees were correct?
None of the above. Job #1 is claim denial.
The longer the insurer can put off paying, the more profit they make. it's all about the time value of money

How do I know this?
This was my wife's job when she worked the the nation's largest health insurer.
It takes like 30 seconds for a clerical person to do it. Makes lots of work for everyone else, though.

It costs everyone but the insurance company money.

Old 02-28-2019, 11:50 AM

4,813 posts, read 2,482,788 times
If people would learn to walk 40 minutes a day, and eat a salad once in a while, health care wouldn't be such a big issue in the country.

Obesity rate in the country is approaching 40%, people want to eat Cheetos everyday and wash it down with a Coke, and then want free health care on top of it subsidized by everyone else.

The poor people in this country are fat as heck. I agree the US Health Care system could use a revamp (especially in price transparency), but a lot of the problems are self inflicted.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:38 PM

25,328 posts, read 27,647,458 times
Quote:

How does one catch people who do fraud?

When Obamacare went into effect, my doctor was required to put all my medicare records on a computer. That took some time. But now, others can read my record.
I don't know the specifics, but I do know it adds to their workload and they don't feel like it's actually doing any good for the patients.

I know for my psychiatrist friend, he's told me it's really about checking off a ton of boxes. If you actually took the time to read the questions one by one, you'd never get it all done.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:39 PM

8,606 posts, read 3,722,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
Inflation of the 70s was almost entirely a monetary phenomenon.
Oil and cost push inflation had a lot to do with inflation during that time frame.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:41 PM

8,606 posts, read 3,722,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
That is hardly a good reason to keep unhealthy food around in mass..so people have jobs. There are other jobs and there will be demand for other type of food. avocado toast plant. Plus it will all balance out between making less money from having less of Coke/Pepsi and health care costing less.

Yet I have friends who are family doctors in USA complaining they don't make enough money & medical field doesn't pay enough for years spent studying. Shows the perspective American have vs. other nations.

Docs pay as well as expectations are changing. But docs pay is but a small part of our overall HC costs. Pay less for say mid levels and overall costs don't necessarily go down if the mid levels waste more HC money.

Old 02-28-2019, 01:42 PM

25,328 posts, read 27,647,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
The trust fund programs, such as Social Security and Medicare/Medicaid, currently run a surplus. The problem is that the discretionary programs, such as defense, are underfunded by income taxes which are their primary source of revenue. About 1 out of every 3 dollars to fund these programs has to be borrowed.

link

If you split off the accumulated debts ($22 trillion) from the discretionary programs as a separate program, the total amount of payments over a 75-year period, the base period used in calculating future government program costs, would be about $55 trillion using 3 percent as the interest rate.
People always bring up bloat in the military whenever I bring up heatlhcare. First. I get it. I agree. There's bloat in the military. But health care can't be made into some kind of sacred cow. You reach a point in anything where more and more spending becomes less and less effective. We reached that point with health care spending about 30 years ago. It isn't just that the bill is too expensive (which it is). It's that our whole approach to health is simply backward. We can't continue to make ourselves sick with unhealthy lifestyle habits and then fight about the bill after the fact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or