U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 10:57 PM

507 posts, read 161,449 times

Advertisements

I actually think Google is responsible. I google everything then shop for the best price. The business that I own has an Amazon Store but my favorite place to buy is Ebay
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2019, 03:11 AM

5,488 posts, read 8,464,338 times
Victoria’s Secret consumers (who are mainly women, not men) are no longer buying the Victoria’s Secret message. Arie (not Amazon) is the lingerie store that has taken a lot of their market share.

Old 03-02-2019, 06:57 AM

2,728 posts, read 3,794,617 times
I am not quite sure why all this news gets hyped all the time. You snooze you lose.

Sorry to be so direct but these businesses need to learn that technology, innovation and marketing are now the cornerstones of today's business. It is not something to think about at the end of the year. You need a small group of people within these company's that work to see the changing trends and make adjustments.

JC Penney introduced appliances in their line up a few years back........who did not see that mistake that coming.

All those board members sitting around the room at Blockbuster. You can't tell me that not one of those guys or gals was not thinking that this new service called Netflix was a game changer?

Garman and Tom Tom, guess what, your sales are down because of smart phones not because you did anything wrong......if they did not see it coming it is their mistake.

Sony point and shoot cameras, same thing....cell phones have replaced the need to carry a camera.

Today to succeed in business you have to look to the future for the payout, not today.

We Baby Boomers are fading away and so is the demand for Harley Davidsons, American Beer and our penchant brand loyalty. We are the children of parents who shopped at Sears for everything from tough skin jeans to diehard battery's. Now the shift is to online sales.

Last month there was great discussion on Apple phone sales as they were down. Well when the smoke cleared the current market is saturated with android and Apple phones and unless there is some sort of technology that will blow us away sales are going to stabilize.

The ability to mine social data successfully to spot trends is most likely the greatest tool to future business models and their ability to stay relevant.

As far as Tesla goes, they took nearly a half a million deposits on vehicles they had not figured out to manufacture with a profit. Years ago they sold swamp land in Florida as retirement communities

Old 03-02-2019, 06:59 AM

278 posts, read 82,871 times
I was surprised and happy to see how Barnes and Nobel is thriving during the holidays. On the other hand, it doesn't surprise about VS. I used to be able to get quality lingerie there, but stopped going when their quality went down. I can get just as good undies at even Walmart. VS, just as JCP and Macy's don't seem to get it. Most of us don't mind paying higher prices if the quality is there. If I want cheap, I'll go to Walmarts and Targets.

I've stopped going to GAP only recently when they stopped selling my favorite type of jeans and khakis that I get every season. Instead they're replacing the classic jeans with ultra-cheap jeans that don't fit right. So bye-bye GAP, won't miss you.

Old 03-02-2019, 09:11 AM

6,324 posts, read 3,383,981 times
I can understand the closings, but my wife for one is concerned about Penney's. It's the one place in town where she can find clothes styled a bit for women like here. Most of the other stores only carry product for young, hip, trendy, bean pole shaped girls in teen to maybe just out of college. Basic jeans and tees. And some old lady clothes that your grandmother would wear to church in 1962. But nothing for a standard middle age woman who's had a couple of kids. Too old for the teens and twenty somethings and too young for grandma's flower print high necked church dress.

Old 03-02-2019, 10:22 AM

207 posts, read 61,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
VS quality has been going downhill, the VS of years ago, is not the same now. I know this through my wife who use to shop their regularly, but now says the quality is just horrible and not worth the cost at all.
Same in our family: once they switch from 100% silk to a polyester and went from classy and elegant to garish and slutty... they were not VC anymore in my mind: should have change the name to more honest Victoria’s sluts.

Old 03-02-2019, 11:35 AM

708 posts, read 131,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Last time I was in a mall, I glanced inside some of the stores. Most had only one yawning clerk and no customers at all.
I can't remember the last time I was in a mall.

Old 03-02-2019, 01:26 PM

8,200 posts, read 14,593,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tnff View Post
I can understand the closings, but my wife for one is concerned about Penney's. It's the one place in town where she can find clothes styled a bit for women like here. Most of the other stores only carry product for young, hip, trendy, bean pole shaped girls in teen to maybe just out of college. Basic jeans and tees. And some old lady clothes that your grandmother would wear to church in 1962. But nothing for a standard middle age woman who's had a couple of kids. Too old for the teens and twenty somethings and too young for grandma's flower print high necked church dress.

Tell your wife to look at FullBeauty.com -- It's where I shop - sizes from zero to 5x. The other store I frequent is Catherine's.

Although I am a great grandmother, I don't dress the part. I like quality. I used to shop at Macy's during their clearance sales but moving out of the NYC area to the south put a stop to that.

Old 03-02-2019, 02:21 PM

17,828 posts, read 22,879,848 times
you can also thank the mandatory minimum wage increases and some states its mandatory time and a half on sunday

minimum wage is not a living wage its a starting wage..
and over 70% of minimum wage earners USE to be high school kids for short term jobs ..

now the businesses are closing cutting back on full timers and cutting health insurance ..

some states are 4.00 over the federal minimum wage ...its hurting the small businesses and apparently larger ones too...and lets keep in mind....the brick and mortar stores pays state taxes on every sale....online does not (in every state)

Old 03-02-2019, 04:51 PM

296 posts, read 448,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mainebrokerman View Post
you can also thank the mandatory minimum wage increases and some states its mandatory time and a half on sunday

minimum wage is not a living wage its a starting wage..
and over 70% of minimum wage earners USE to be high school kids for short term jobs ..

now the businesses are closing cutting back on full timers and cutting health insurance ..

some states are 4.00 over the federal minimum wage ...its hurting the small businesses and apparently larger ones too...and lets keep in mind....the brick and mortar stores pays state taxes on every sale....online does not (in every state)

The malls and the types of chain stores in them were in a death spiral long before the recent minimum wage issues. They are an outdated unwanted relic of a time when people shopped for mass produced goods recreationally. You used to have to dedicate time for repeat visits to know what store had what styles and prices and then hope they had something in your size. The ability to search stores online cut down on the massive time commitment this type of shopping required. Then many of these store chains were bought via leveraged buyouts and had their assets gutted at the same time people spent less time and money on banal chain store retail. Most of the brick and mortar stores failing right now are outdated unwanted over-leveraged chain behemoths driven into the ground as every last penny is extracted from their shells.

We may have affection for memories of them, but the fact is, people don't shop that way any more. Nor is the poor quality many of the flailing chains try to foist off on the public going to fly in the age of reviews and options.

There is even a whole fandom dedicated to "dead malls" and documenting them as they go down one by one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or