U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2019, 01:23 PM

17,311 posts, read 18,791,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
I haven't left my house in over 5 years because I order everything off Amazon. My house, my car, my pets, and my lover all came with 2-day Prime shipping. One delivery was 15 minutes late so I called and complained to Amazon and they sent me a second lover free of charge! Is this such a bad thing if Amazon is the only business left on planet Earth? Every business still standing today could be converted to an Amazon warehouse. 2-day shipping is so #2018.

Was the first lover bad? Or just late? It’s good to know that you can handle two lovers at once. no wonder you haven’t left your house in 5 years. I wish I could get a second lover free of charge especially if delivered, but my wife would probably kill me.

Actually if you understood economics it would be a bad thing if Amazon was the only business left on the planet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2019, 01:26 PM

29,724 posts, read 18,841,699 times
Stores come and go, and I'm not sure if what we are seeing at this moment exceeds other years.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old 03-03-2019, 02:35 PM

18,812 posts, read 13,762,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
Actually if you understood economics it would be a bad thing if Amazon was the only business left on the planet.
Amazon doesn't sell anything, so that's not even possible.

What Amazon does, is provide a platform for Millions of other businesses to market, advertise and sell their products.

Why should I go out of my way to the nearest PetsMart and pay $46 for a box of Greenies for my dog, when I can sit in the comfort of my own home and buy Greenies from another company who sells them for $27?

I'm not buying them from Amazon, I'm buying them through Amazon.

Apparently you don't understand the difference.

Amazon doesn't make Greenies, it's an entirely different company that makes Greenies, and they sell them to wholesalers and retailers who advertise on Amazon, and the wholesalers and retailers sell them at vastly different prices, as you would expect given the tremendous difference in Cost-of-Living in the US.

If PetsMart can't sell Greenies for $27, that's not my problem, that's PetsMart's problem.

I'm normally attired in blue jeans and buffaloes, but when my water buffaloes blew out, that was a problem, because there isn't anyplace within 400 miles of Cincinnati that sells water buffaloes.

But, thanks to Amazon, I found a small business in New Jersey that sells water buffaloes handmade in India.

So, I win, Amazon wins, and that small business wins, since they got a sale they wouldn't normally get, because New Jersey is a cesspool and I would never go there unless I was shipping or picking up a car at Bayonne or flying out of Newark.

That's what Amazon does, provide a platform for small businesses, because the cost for a small business to maintain its own web-site is probably equal to or greater than the cost to market and advertise on Amazon.

More than that, Amazon gets a lot more traffic in one day than a small business' stand-alone web-site would get in 10 years.

Small businesses can market, advertise and sell their products globally through Amazon, instead of just in their towns. That gives them a greater potential for sales revenues.

Amazon is here to stay, and businesses either need to incorporate Amazon into their business-model or account for Amazon in their business-model, if they want to survive.

Amazon is fantastic, because it coerces competition.

I'm no longer limited to buying locally. If local retailers don't have what I want, I'll find it somewhere else on Amazon, and if local retailers don't have the price I want, I'll find it cheaper on Amazon.

If corporations can't deal with that, that's not my problem, especially since I don't give a damn if corporations exist or not, and corporations aren't necessary for a successful economy.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:23 PM

3,946 posts, read 2,950,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrician4you View Post
It would be an Amazonocracy.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:32 PM

68,172 posts, read 69,034,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Amazon has nothing to do with it. JC Penny and GAP have been on a downward trend for years and years.

I haven't been to either store in nearly two decades, and there's no reason for me to go, since there are so many alternatives.

There's not a lot of difference between GAP jeans made in Mexico, and Target, Wal-Mart, Steinmart, Marshall's and TJ Max jeans made in Mexico.

I can't speak about Victoria's Secrets, except to say that I would never shop there, since there are so many cheaper alternatives of equal or greater quality.

Tesla speaks for itself. It's a poor product that is over-priced, and the Chinese will probably blow Tesla out of the water anyway.
Victoria secrets by us lies .... the sign in the window said ALL OUR BRAís HALF OFF..

So I went inside and everyone was fully clothed

Old 03-03-2019, 05:34 PM

33,293 posts, read 40,769,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Victoria secrets by us lies .... the sign in the window said ALL OUR BRA’s HALF OFF..

So I went inside and everyone was fully clothed
Bada boom.

Old 03-03-2019, 05:52 PM

7,461 posts, read 15,697,175 times
For good quality basics at a reasonable price, I've had good luck with Uniqlo in recent years. It's a Japanese chain (fortunately what they sell here are American sizes) that seems to be a Gap peer but uses better fabrics and has a Toyota-like approach to quality control. They sell both online- measurements given for the product are generally quite accurate- and in a handful of stores in larger cities at this point.

I lobe the cotton they use- it typically starts out very soft and does well in repeated washings- and their down jackets are very good for the price you pay ,especially when they're on one of their regular sales.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:14 PM

2,067 posts, read 753,572 times
"What Amazon does, is provide a platform for Millions of other businesses to market, advertise and sell their products."

that would make Amazon the New Mall.

Old 03-03-2019, 08:20 PM

281 posts, read 83,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Amazon doesn't sell anything, so that's not even possible.

I'm no longer limited to buying locally. If local retailers don't have what I want, I'll find it somewhere else on Amazon, and if local retailers don't have the price I want, I'll find it cheaper on Amazon.

If corporations can't deal with that, that's not my problem, especially since I don't give a damn if corporations exist or not, and corporations aren't necessary for a successful economy.
I'm not sure if you're being facetious or actually expressing your actual opinions, lol

I'm now opting to shop at specific store sites instead of from amazon sellers. The reason is due to my last numerous shipments were items of such poor quality. Then it took me half a day to find out where some of the Amazon "sellers" were and yep, CHINA. Then you ask them for a refund, and suddenly nobody there speaks English and your out $$.

Today if I want anything, I order online to the specific store known to turn out guaranteed quality over poisoned dirt cheap imitation products from China and all the other "similar" countries where cleanliness and quality means nothing.

Amazon is losing control over this platform and that will be its downfall - soon I hope. NO MORE FOR ME, THANKS.

Last edited by settled00; 03-03-2019 at 08:29 PM..

Old Yesterday, 01:31 AM

4,480 posts, read 2,045,238 times
Iíll be underbanked for the rest of my life so I canít shop online. When stores close it is terrifying for me. Plus, it seems like every time a retail center tanks; it takes the neighborhood down with it.

It looks like decay & it looks like it did when the real estate market crashed.

I envy people who can just pick out a size & have something fit. Thatís never been me. My weight will go up & back down by 60lbs in just a few months & Iím 5í10Ē; plenty of things will be my size ... yet not fit. Online shopping would be a nightmare, in the event I could even do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or