Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2019, 04:12 AM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formerly Known As Twenty View Post
I stopped shopping at Victoria's Secret once the company began using barely pubescent models, marketing towards tweens and teenaged girls instead adult women, and devoting more floor space toward their PINK line. Few of the bras fit me well, either, although I used to love their Body by Victoria and Intimissi lines as they were great for the smaller-breasted woman.

The quality of the garments isn't as high as it once was, either. The fabric from which the new cotton panties are made isn't nearly as high quality as those of some panties that I purchased nearly a decade ago.

I now spring for Natori and La Perla lingerie as it's so much nicer, if far spendier if not being sold at clearance prices.
A few years ago I went nuts buying their bra in just about every color and a few different prints. I had a lot of coupons and rewards that made them about $20 each from $50 something. I'm glad I did too because right after that they changed the bra; the colors are boring, the material is cheap. Same with their panties. They used to be a good quality cotton, now there is barely any cotton. My daughter likes the lace waist band; I looked before, they don't have it any more at VS, they have one at Pink that doesn't look cotton. Guess we have to find a new place for panties.

VS got way too big, started charging excessive prices. My daughter loves the pink line for hoodies but you can't buy one for under $60+. It's ridiculous.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 04:25 AM

31,340 posts, read 14,265,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I am not quite sure why all this news gets hyped all the time. You snooze you lose.

Sorry to be so direct but these businesses need to learn that technology, innovation and marketing are now the cornerstones of today's business. It is not something to think about at the end of the year. You need a small group of people within these company's that work to see the changing trends and make adjustments.

JC Penney introduced appliances in their line up a few years back........who did not see that mistake that coming.

All those board members sitting around the room at Blockbuster. You can't tell me that not one of those guys or gals was not thinking that this new service called Netflix was a game changer?

Garman and Tom Tom, guess what, your sales are down because of smart phones not because you did anything wrong......if they did not see it coming it is their mistake.

Sony point and shoot cameras, same thing....cell phones have replaced the need to carry a camera.

Today to succeed in business you have to look to the future for the payout, not today.

We Baby Boomers are fading away and so is the demand for Harley Davidsons, American Beer and our penchant brand loyalty. We are the children of parents who shopped at Sears for everything from tough skin jeans to diehard battery's. Now the shift is to online sales.

Last month there was great discussion on Apple phone sales as they were down. Well when the smoke cleared the current market is saturated with android and Apple phones and unless there is some sort of technology that will blow us away sales are going to stabilize.

The ability to mine social data successfully to spot trends is most likely the greatest tool to future business models and their ability to stay relevant.

As far as Tesla goes, they took nearly a half a million deposits on vehicles they had not figured out to manufacture with a profit. Years ago they sold swamp land in Florida as retirement communities
Great post. Look at Sears as a prime example of snoozing and losing. Sears were the kings for many years. If they convert their catalog to the internet, they are Amazon before Amazon. But the empty suits that sit around in meetings all day long never figured it out. And now look at them.

Old 03-04-2019, 05:21 AM

22,146 posts, read 33,537,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Amazon doesn't sell anything, so that's not even possible.

What Amazon does, is provide a platform for Millions of other businesses to market, advertise and sell their products.

Why should I go out of my way to the nearest PetsMart and pay $46 for a box of Greenies for my dog, when I can sit in the comfort of my own home and buy Greenies from another company who sells them for $27?

I'm not buying them from Amazon, I'm buying them through Amazon.

Apparently you don't understand the difference.

Amazon doesn't make Greenies, it's an entirely different company that makes Greenies, and they sell them to wholesalers and retailers who advertise on Amazon, and the wholesalers and retailers sell them at vastly different prices, as you would expect given the tremendous difference in Cost-of-Living in the US.

If PetsMart can't sell Greenies for $27, that's not my problem, that's PetsMart's problem.

I'm normally attired in blue jeans and buffaloes, but when my water buffaloes blew out, that was a problem, because there isn't anyplace within 400 miles of Cincinnati that sells water buffaloes.

But, thanks to Amazon, I found a small business in New Jersey that sells water buffaloes handmade in India.

So, I win, Amazon wins, and that small business wins, since they got a sale they wouldn't normally get, because New Jersey is a cesspool and I would never go there unless I was shipping or picking up a car at Bayonne or flying out of Newark.

That's what Amazon does, provide a platform for small businesses, because the cost for a small business to maintain its own web-site is probably equal to or greater than the cost to market and advertise on Amazon.

More than that, Amazon gets a lot more traffic in one day than a small business' stand-alone web-site would get in 10 years.

Small businesses can market, advertise and sell their products globally through Amazon, instead of just in their towns. That gives them a greater potential for sales revenues.

Amazon is here to stay, and businesses either need to incorporate Amazon into their business-model or account for Amazon in their business-model, if they want to survive.

Amazon is fantastic, because it coerces competition.

I'm no longer limited to buying locally. If local retailers don't have what I want, I'll find it somewhere else on Amazon, and if local retailers don't have the price I want, I'll find it cheaper on Amazon.

If corporations can't deal with that, that's not my problem, especially since I don't give a damn if corporations exist or not, and corporations aren't necessary for a successful economy.
Apparently you not understand what the poster meant by Amazon being the only place to shop through. At the face value it means every sale goes through Amazon. If Amazon was the only outlet to sell goods it would be a bad thing. That was what my response was meant to convey. The poster said it wouldn’t be a bad thing if Amazon was the only place left. Which by default meant you could only shop through Amazon they can dictate what price goods are sold for or price fix their charges so they can make as much as they want.
Your post is under the premise you could go shop elsewhere through different wholesalers or vendors. If they all had to sell their wares through one outlet THAT would be a bad thing.

Right now I can shop Amazon. I look at their prices, and o shop around through OTHER websites. In some cases I can get better prices from others. For example had to buy new batteries for my truck. Amazon price $235 free shipping. Rockauto $152 $22 shipping. Rock auto wins. I reported the price difference to Amazon. A few weeks later their buy it price was $154. If I would of waited I would of saved $42 bucks. At the time I needed the batteries

That is why you don’t want only one place to buy everything through.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:28 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,027,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Ain't Amazon great!

It's not Amazon's fault. If blame HAS to be assigned, blame the internet. Times have changed. If it was profitable for a store to stay open, it would do so. But if you're not getting the foot traffic, because PEOPLE would rather shop online...then that's how it goes.

When's the last time you heard a blacksmith complain about not making enough horseshoes
these days, since everyone is driving those newfangled cars?

Times change.

Old 03-04-2019, 09:49 AM

2,278 posts, read 3,078,730 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
It's not Amazon's fault. If blame HAS to be assigned, blame the internet. Times have changed. If it was profitable for a store to stay open, it would do so. But if you're not getting the foot traffic, because PEOPLE would rather shop online...then that's how it goes.

When's the last time you heard a blacksmith complain about not making enough horseshoes
these days, since everyone is driving those newfangled cars?

Times change.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GtDvmV4zr-Q

Old 03-04-2019, 10:10 AM

10,068 posts, read 7,239,454 times
Trends change. Fashions change, behavior changes. The current top dogs will eventually give way too.

Malls were a thing from the 60s to the early 2000s. Their day is done, but retail still exists. It's just different, and no it is not all online by a long shot.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:40 AM

17,581 posts, read 13,355,792 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BugsyPal View Post
JCPenney, Gap, and Victoria's Secret all announce store closures. Telsa announced it will be closing some shop locations as well.

https://www.businessinsider.com/jcpe...losures-2019-2
When lazya$$ people can sit in their recliners and order everything, who needs brick and mortar stores?

Food to your door instead of walking the aisles, hell, why is the avg American so fat?

Old 03-04-2019, 10:44 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,580 posts, read 81,186,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1003 View Post
When lazya$$ people can sit in their recliners and order everything, who needs brick and mortar stores?

Food to your door instead of walking the aisles, hell, why is the avg American so fat?
Well now you are suggesting that we contribute more to change by driving to stores for everything? One Fedex truck delivering hundreds of Amazon packages is much better for the environment than hundreds of people driving to their nearest mall.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:46 AM

48,526 posts, read 34,851,331 times
Quote:

If someone considers grocery shopping exercise..... that is a bigger problem.

Seriously, I order tons of stuff from Amazon, not driving around looking for stuff, and I'm in the gym almost daily.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 03-04-2019, 10:55 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,431,507 times
Quote:

Do you still washboard your clothes for the extra calorie burning?

Or maybe by efficiently ordering everything and not wasting my time on errands, I now have time to exercise?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics