U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2019, 07:48 PM

2,063 posts, read 754,628 times

Advertisements

Urban areas heavily subsidize rural areas when it comes to mail delivery. For simple reasons of economies of scale, it is far more efficient to send mail to and from metropolitan areas than to and from various rural locations. Yet a first class stamp costs the same whether you're in Chicago or San Francisco on one hand, or rural North Dakota or the Alaskan bush on the other hand.

Privatize, and it's those more remote places - ironically, the same ones that swear up and down that "government is the problem!" - that will end up disproportionately paying for the supposed 'panacea' of the free market.

On a side note, the demise of the USPS has been 'imminent' now for decades. Funny how that works!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 01:24 AM

8,811 posts, read 7,783,644 times
There many small town areas, the USPS is the only way, to receive packages, etc. Every state has enough of them, congress would never approve such thing, as congressmen and senators want to stay in office.

We have Internet, and all our monthly bills are auto-pay. However we had a plumber last week, and he sent us a bill by mail, and we sent him a check by mail. There will always be a need for the USPS.

There are parts of the country where there is no Internet, or phone service, so those areas need the USPS.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:01 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,696 posts, read 32,781,502 times
FedEx is using robots to deliver packages. I think we're not many years away from seeing the first robot mail delivery. That'll help cut costs to run the USPS.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:39 AM

2,773 posts, read 3,811,253 times
I am 59 and at the tail end of the Baby Boomers so I won't see it but I believe even with Goverment resistance they will figure out a way for the USPS to become close to profitable. It is going to be awhile.

Every day the public is being nudged just a little more towards paperless billing, at resturants, banks, utilities and so many other institutions. We get asked more and more at the register if we want the receipt sent to email or phone.

Every new subdivision in our area is putting in cluster mail boxes. All of this has got to be slowly changing the amount of mail and the way the USPS does business.

As far as FEDEX they need to step up their game as the amount of grey Amazon vans I see daily in our area has dramatically increased since last year when you were lucky to see one.

There is a gentleman in a very large subdivision in our area and not quite sure how he gets his packages whether they are delivered to him or he picks them up but he cruises the neighborhood in a golf cart with a trailer delivering packages every day.

All these things add up and they will provide change but it is going to come very slowly.

It's not a conspiracy but we belong to a credit union and if you go online to review a past statement it automatically sets you up for electronic monthly statements if you do not visit another link to reactivate back to receiving by mail. Lowes did the same thing, trial electronic billing along with receiving in the mail. After six months it automatically switched to paperless unless you opted out.

We are switching to online bill paying and electronic monthly statements but slowly.

I think once we Baby Boomers are flushed through the Millenials and Gen Xer's will complete the circle for a somewhat paperless society and mail delivery will have decreased considerably.

I still can't believe that years ago the postmen had to deliver Sears catalogs.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:08 AM

524 posts, read 278,752 times
It'll never be replaced, seems absurd to think so. There should always be a way to send mail, and privatization is not the answer.

But honestly, USPS could trim their costs tremendously by cutting delivery days in half. Monday-Wednesday-Friday would be fine. Who really needs mail every day? There is nothing that comes in my mailbox that couldn't wait one more day.

I believe this is Congress' fault. USPS has proposed changes, but Congress needs to approve it and so far has refused to do so. Not sure why.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:27 AM

31,346 posts, read 16,043,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Urban areas heavily subsidize rural areas when it comes to mail delivery.
When it comes to infrastructure overall, actually.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:41 AM

2,773 posts, read 3,811,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MattMN View Post
It'll never be replaced, seems absurd to think so. There should always be a way to send mail, and privatization is not the answer.

But honestly, USPS could trim their costs tremendously by cutting delivery days in half. Monday-Wednesday-Friday would be fine. Who really needs mail every day? There is nothing that comes in my mailbox that couldn't wait one more day.

I believe this is Congress' fault. USPS has proposed changes, but Congress needs to approve it and so far has refused to do so. Not sure why.

I wonder how much of an uproar it would create if they did away Saturday delivery except for package delivery? As a non commercial identity I really do not ever need weekend delivery............just how much mail would pile up for Monday?

As mentioned with todays electronic age, mail delivery has to be down volume wise.

Old 03-08-2019, 01:29 PM

448 posts, read 106,169 times
I hope they stay. They know how to locate addresses. The for profit companies have dropped off crap at my door, that I delivered, that was no where near its expected destination. The for profit delivery companies in my area hire idiots with no directional or driving skills.
If USPS disappears I would never order anything online.

Old 03-08-2019, 03:18 PM

6,217 posts, read 3,386,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBtwinz View Post
I wonder how much of an uproar it would create if they did away Saturday delivery except for package delivery? As a non commercial identity I really do not ever need weekend delivery............just how much mail would pile up for Monday?

As mentioned with todays electronic age, mail delivery has to be down volume wise.
Actually today with automated processing of mail the extra put in on Monday would insure every city carrier would go into overtime hours to deliver it. Back when routes were hand processed the load could be spread over the rest of the week.

I always thought that I would see the odd and even delivery of mail with Sundays off. Now between those 500,000 strong working labor union members and parcels taking carriers to every street everyday I doubt if even Saturdays would be cut.

Old 03-08-2019, 05:08 PM

18,900 posts, read 13,792,893 times
Quote:
Urban areas heavily subsidize rural areas when it comes to mail delivery. For simple reasons of economies of scale, it is far more efficient to send mail to and from metropolitan areas than to and from various rural locations. Yet a first class stamp costs the same whether you're in Chicago or San Francisco on one hand, or rural North Dakota or the Alaskan bush on the other hand.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
When it comes to infrastructure overall, actually.
No, not really. It's not making a lot of sense to purchase or rent land, then build a post office and staff it, plus support it, for 80 homes.

Rural Free Deliver is labor intensive, too. You need 6-20 letter carriers to do the same job one urban carrier can do. RFD carriers are basically post-office-in-a-truck. You can do just about anything, because they sell stamps and postal money orders. You can ship packages, because they have the scales in their truck, plus the books with all the zip code listings to tell you when it might arrive.

Quote:
On a side note, the demise of the USPS has been 'imminent' now for decades. Funny how that works!
Yeah, I noticed that, too. USPS isn't going anywhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The US has a remarkably high number of people not using banks.
That's because they owe money to banks.

The overdrew their accounts using an ATM or writing bad checks, and they'll have to wait 7 and half years before they can open an account again.

A lot banks now require a minimum credit score of 600, because history shows that people with less than 600 always end up over drawing their accounts and never pay the money they owe back to the bank.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or