U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 08:25 PM

2,040 posts, read 820,817 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taiko View Post
500,000 active union member spread around every congressional district along with major shippers subcontracting their work to the USPS. Along with governments needing a way to inform people of jury service and problems with meeting tax obligations mean that a service will survive. It has already gone from a peak of around 800,000 to 500,000 employees and looking to shed more staff.
Nailed it. ^^^^^^^

No way on Godís green earth that Congress is going to do anything to jeopardize a half million union jobs. It would be political suicide. In some far in the future generation they may become somewhat efficient and proficient at delivering mail, but I wonít see it in my lifetime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2019, 08:31 PM

4,298 posts, read 2,366,918 times
More junk mail then real mail... flush the whole system I say.

Old 03-08-2019, 08:47 PM

6,314 posts, read 1,543,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
The USPS can’t be replaced without a constitutional amendment. The USPS can automate mail delivery but it’s still the USPS.

The same people who use the constitution to defend the USPS are the same ones who complain about Electoral College and how it needs to be done away with. Irony.

In my business I use USPS and Fedex daily and have so for years. Fedex does a much better job, better trained and more efficient. Unlike the USPS they rarely if every lose a package. I am fine with changing the constitution and selling off the USPS. In 2019 no need to have it as part of the gov'ment. Sell it off or merge with Fedex or UPS. We don't need daily mail delivery anymore. If something really needs to be delivered on a specific date, send it overnight.

I do agree the Democrats would fight tooth and nail any attempt to change the USPS and get rid of the bloated union jobs. Sad.

Old 03-08-2019, 09:00 PM

6,314 posts, read 1,543,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
Things would be disastrous without USPS. They create the basic infrastructure for all the other logistics/mail carriers and allow them to be profitable by focusing on higher margin and volume dense areas. Ever see a UPS or Fed-Ex truck up in the mountain towns, dessert towns, or other remote areas? They use USPS to deliver to those non-profitable areas. Furthermore, USPS creates a virtual price ceiling for mail and small packages; imagine how expensive Fed-Ex and UPS would be without them.

Finally, the USPS has its own law enforcement and works with DEA, ATF, FBI, and DOJ which are intangible for safety.
I ship a lot of Fedex and never had an address in the lower 48 where they could not deliver. As long as it is a street address and not a PO box they can do it.

Regarding the feds if there is an issue, they get involved. I remember the person using Fedex to sent bombs via Fedex. The feds and local police dealt with it. You don't need your own bloated agency standing by to get things done.

I have shipped tens of thousands of shipments via USPS and Fedex as well as UPS and DHL. I really get the impression that many of the post office defenders have little similar experience.

Old 03-08-2019, 11:27 PM

1,052 posts, read 990,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
I ship a lot of Fedex and never had an address in the lower 48 where they could not deliver. As long as it is a street address and not a PO box they can do it.

Regarding the feds if there is an issue, they get involved. I remember the person using Fedex to sent bombs via Fedex. The feds and local police dealt with it. You don't need your own bloated agency standing by to get things done.

I have shipped tens of thousands of shipments via USPS and Fedex as well as UPS and DHL. I really get the impression that many of the post office defenders have little similar experience.
Wait a minute. When you spend packages/envelopes through Fed-Ex, do you not realize that they will utilize the USPS for last leg and intermediate delivery? Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my explanation, because that was the main point in how the USPS holds the infrastructure for private carriers like Fed-Ex and UPS to be profitable. You take away USPS and Fed-Ex/UPS will no longer service a significant portion of the country and prices will rise.

Old 03-09-2019, 12:14 AM

3,293 posts, read 1,159,005 times
Oh this reminds me I need to make my comcast bill paperless.

Old 03-09-2019, 03:21 AM

8,812 posts, read 7,783,644 times
Quote:
WRONG!!!!

There is a lot of really rural areas in the country, where they have ever seen a Fedex or UPS delivery vehicle. Example Ruth CA which is 70 mles west of HIGHWAY 101, the last 40 miles is lonesome mountain driving each way with few houses. Once you get to Ruth it is real rough gravel roads to scattered ranches. Fedex will pick up your package and will transfer it the USPS for delivery at one of their sorting warehouses.

They simply cannot afford to deliver to the address. It would take 3 to 4 hour round trip with possibly delivering 6 packages along the way in that time.

Old 03-09-2019, 03:39 AM

14,649 posts, read 13,034,935 times
My experience with FedEx.....they are very good at delivering......to your neighbor's house.

Old 03-09-2019, 06:19 AM

18,281 posts, read 12,981,378 times
Quote:
The same people who use the constitution to defend the USPS are the same ones who complain about Electoral College and how it needs to be done away with. Irony.
This thread has nothing to do with the electoral college.

Quote:
In my business I use USPS and Fedex daily and have so for years. Fedex does a much better job, better trained and more efficient. Unlike the USPS they rarely if every lose a package. I am fine with changing the constitution and selling off the USPS. In 2019 no need to have it as part of the gov'ment. Sell it off or merge with Fedex or UPS. We don't need daily mail delivery anymore. If something really needs to be delivered on a specific date, send it overnight.
FedEx does a much better job at what? Not getting a letter across the country in a couple days for 0.50. Neither fedex nor UPS have any interest in taking over the usps or what they do. When people suggest this it’s a clear sign they really dont understand the businesses being discussed even if they have sent thousands of packages.

Quote:
I do agree the Democrats would fight tooth and nail any attempt to change the USPS and get rid of the bloated union jobs. Sad.
No need to make this political as it is the economics forum.

Old 03-09-2019, 11:59 AM

1,145 posts, read 301,332 times
I work in the shipping industry, USPS delivers a TON of stuff that I don't see going away any time soon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or