U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 08:07 PM

6,312 posts, read 1,543,682 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwong7 View Post
Wait a minute. When you spend packages/envelopes through Fed-Ex, do you not realize that they will utilize the USPS for last leg and intermediate delivery? Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my explanation, because that was the main point in how the USPS holds the infrastructure for private carriers like Fed-Ex and UPS to be profitable. You take away USPS and Fed-Ex/UPS will no longer service a significant portion of the country and prices will rise.
You are right that Fedex and USPS work together but.

Actually you have it backwards. When you send something USPS first class package or priority mail (or overnight). Fedex handles the middle portion via air. It has actually improved delivery times because of Fedex. Fedex as of now cannot accept the package or deliver it for obvious reasons.

For example I drop a priority mail package at the post office. It goes on a fedex plane to the destination city. Then is routed to the post office in that city and is delivered by USPS.

https://about.usps.com/news/statements/022317.htm
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2019, 08:01 AM

18,281 posts, read 12,981,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post

Actually you have it backwards. When you send something USPS first class package or priority mail (or overnight). Fedex handles the middle portion via air. It has actually improved delivery times because of Fedex. Fedex as of now cannot accept the package or deliver it for obvious reasons.

For example I drop a priority mail package at the post office. It goes on a fedex plane to the destination city. Then is routed to the post office in that city and is delivered by USPS.

You two are talking about different services. FedEx/UPS/DHL all have services where they are the initial carrier and then turn the package over to the USPS for the last mile or so of delivery

Old 03-11-2019, 12:35 PM

31,346 posts, read 16,043,288 times
Quote:

In other words, FedEx does the easy bit.

Old 03-12-2019, 04:47 AM

363 posts, read 58,841 times
UPS and Fed Ex do not want to take the role of USPS. Both UPS and Fed Ex give deliveries they do not want or cannot deliver to USPS to complete the delivery.

The more rural you are the less likely you can get UPS or Fed Ex to deliver all items to a location. They don't like narrow bridges, dirt roads, trailer parks with confusion addresses, private roads ..........

Would take a constitutional amendment as well I believe.

Old Yesterday, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
You two are talking about different services. FedEx/UPS/DHL all have services where they are the initial carrier and then turn the package over to the USPS for the last mile or so of delivery
With Fedex its smart post. Which is a horrible service. I forgot about the service. I guess I was tramatized by the horribly slow shipping times. After a few attempts with it and some angry customers wondering why it was taking so long. I dropped it. For whatever reason the fedex part goes quickly then once USPS gets it they seem to sit on it for days.

Thanks for reminding me. One more bad thing about USPS and a stark contrast to Fedex.

Old Yesterday, 04:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daryl_G View Post
UPS and Fed Ex do not want to take the role of USPS. Both UPS and Fed Ex give deliveries they do not want or cannot deliver to USPS to complete the delivery.

The more rural you are the less likely you can get UPS or Fed Ex to deliver all items to a location. They don't like narrow bridges, dirt roads, trailer parks with confusion addresses, private roads ..........

Would take a constitutional amendment as well I believe.

I have shipped hundred's if not thousands of parcels via Fedex Ground / Home Delivery never had an address come back as something they would not deliver. I had it come up when years ago I shipped DHL.

Only issues I have had is if someone gives me a PO Box address which technically Fedex could deliver to but by law they cannot.

What I think is an amazing idea is the Amazon Locker. The items are delivered by Amazon Prime drivers and its secure and tracked so your package does not get lost or stolen. Amazing how many times USPS used to drop boxes in unsecured locations at my house. Can't trust them to use any kind of smarts. And its the sort of thing USPS would have never come up with. So perhaps its not Fedex or UPS that will eventually take over what the USPS does but Amazon.

Old Yesterday, 05:13 PM

18,281 posts, read 12,981,378 times
Quote:
With Fedex its smart post. Which is a horrible service. I forgot about the service. I guess I was tramatized by the horribly slow shipping times. After a few attempts with it and some angry customers wondering why it was taking so long. I dropped it. For whatever reason the fedex part goes quickly then once USPS gets it they seem to sit on it for days.

Thanks for reminding me. One more bad thing about USPS and a stark contrast to Fedex.
Do you know why fedex offers the service in the first place? Because the last mile(s) are very costly and time consuming. Hint they would not have any desire to take over the USPSís duities

Old Today, 11:29 AM

2,472 posts, read 603,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron61 View Post
Nailed it. ^^^^^^^

No way on Godís green earth that Congress is going to do anything to jeopardize a half million union jobs. It would be political suicide. In some far in the future generation they may become somewhat efficient and proficient at delivering mail, but I wonít see it in my lifetime.
Agree with the first part, but how can you get more efficient at delivering mail? It's a few days for cross-country, and even less if delivering across town.

Why do we need to speed this up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or