U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2019, 09:45 PM

15 posts, read 1,177 times

Advertisements

Are contracts for everything really needed in todays world?

To me it seems like your lock in a given rate while other competition are having better deals. Now you cant jump ship without paying a break up fee. So why have them? Do you thing it will force competition on regular basic now? Even if your the only player in town, they still lock you in one, so kinda defeats the purpose.
Some of examples.
Remove Renter contracts other then damages
Power if you have alternatives such as oncore ( texas has like 4+)<-- They lock you in for cheap rates only to suck you dry at the end of the deal.
Cable/internet if they share the same lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2019, 04:12 AM

2,485 posts, read 1,585,922 times
User name checks out for getting out of messy situations without a contract.

Old 03-18-2019, 06:22 AM

12,566 posts, read 9,641,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m4c6yv3r View Post
Are contracts for everything really needed in todays world?

To me it seems like your lock in a given rate while other competition are having better deals. Now you cant jump ship without paying a break up fee. So why have them? Do you thing it will force competition on regular basic now? Even if your the only player in town, they still lock you in one, so kinda defeats the purpose.
Some of examples.
Remove Renter contracts other then damages
Power if you have alternatives such as oncore ( texas has like 4+)<-- They lock you in for cheap rates only to suck you dry at the end of the deal.
Cable/internet if they share the same lines.
In many cases, most of the contract language is there to keep everything precisely spelled out, because vague agreements are often problematic to enforce in court. That said, much of the decline of the traditional “gentlemen’s agreement” is a part of a larger trend of large, impersonal corporations replacing smaller family-run businesses. When people don’t know each other, gentlemen’s agreements don’t work well.

That said, as a youth rights supporter, I definitely wish that services were easier to get without contracts, since current law essentially makes it impossible for anyone under 18 to get anything done ( except by bumming off others and cash under the table).

Old 03-18-2019, 11:11 AM

2,360 posts, read 1,147,029 times
I see cell phone company does if they are finance your phones. But no other reason for anything unless something tangle to the person. Do contract for damages but not one to "force someone to stick it out".

Old 03-18-2019, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
In many cases, most of the contract language is there to keep everything precisely spelled out, because vague agreements are often problematic to enforce in court. That said, much of the decline of the traditional “gentlemen’s agreement” is a part of a larger trend of large, impersonal corporations replacing smaller family-run businesses. When people don’t know each other, gentlemen’s agreements don’t work well.

That said, as a youth rights supporter, I definitely wish that services were easier to get without contracts, since current law essentially makes it impossible for anyone under 18 to get anything done ( except by bumming off others and cash under the table).
Some things you can write up a contract to prevent damage or other means. But say you was a landlord and i was a renter and im paying you 600$ a month rent. Now im stuck on your 6 month lease, meanwhile, another house just open up for 400$ a month. I cant jump ship to get that cheaper rent. To me, if you took away those type of contracts, then it would allow better price competition.

Old 03-18-2019, 11:55 AM

2,485 posts, read 1,585,922 times
Quote:
Some things you can write up a contract to prevent damage or other means. But say you was a landlord and i was a renter and im paying you 600$ a month rent. Now im stuck on your 6 month lease, meanwhile, another house just open up for 400$ a month. I cant jump ship to get that cheaper rent. To me, if you took away those type of contracts, then it would allow better price competition.
And what happens when you’re happy paying $600 rent and the company renting it to you could rent it out for $800? They could “jump ship” on you too.

Leases protect both sides from short term fluctuations.

Old 03-18-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
And what happens when you’re happy paying $600 rent and the company renting it to you could rent it out for $800? They could “jump ship” on you too.

Leases protect both sides from short term fluctuations.
Sorry you lost me when they can jump ship? If i rent from the cheaper place and they want to keep me, then they would leave rent as is. Most LL don't want empty houses correct? But their is no price competition with leases or contracts. You will say their is base on demand and what your willing to pay for it, so beat that dead horse with a real answer. If you remove the contracts or leases, what is the draw back? ( still have one in place for damages, that's a given)

Old 03-18-2019, 12:20 PM

1,447 posts, read 1,011,118 times
Quote:
Sorry you lost me when they can jump ship? If i rent from the cheaper place and they want to keep me, then they would leave rent as is. Most LL don't want empty houses correct? But their is no price competition with leases or contracts. You will say their is base on demand and what your willing to pay for it, so beat that dead horse with a real answer. If you remove the contracts or leases, what is the draw back? ( still have one in place for damages, that's a given)
I'm a landlord and I'm trying to see how that would work from my perspective. Are you saying that if you find a cheaper equivalent apartment, I should immediately drop the rent to match or you can walk?

Old 03-18-2019, 12:36 PM

1,065 posts, read 461,089 times
Quote:
the point is, if fair value rent on the place goes up to $800, what's stopping the landlord from raising the rent on you and if you don't pay it, kick you out and get someone else in there?

Old 03-18-2019, 12:40 PM

7,790 posts, read 5,741,359 times
Contracts protect both sides. Even contracts that are in favor of one party. For example, a residential lease may not have terms that are great for tenants. But it does protect the tenant from the LL taking the rent up mid-lease.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or