U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2019, 03:44 PM

818 posts, read 3,032,567 times

Advertisements

https://www.deseretnews.com/article/...GH-ESTEEM.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2019, 04:24 PM

5,810 posts, read 2,039,011 times
Um... this was worth link-posting, because...?

Old 03-25-2019, 04:38 PM

818 posts, read 3,032,567 times
Did I get it in the wrong forum? I wasn't sure where to put it.

Old 03-27-2019, 06:52 PM

5,581 posts, read 2,680,667 times
Quote:
Do you want to be a ditchdigger all your life?" My son replied, "What's wrong with being a ditchdigger? It's honest work."
I can think of quite a few things wrong with being a ditch digger. It being honest work or a needed field are completely different issues than whether it's a desirable profession.

Gotta side with the principal here, that kid was being a smart mouth.

Old 03-27-2019, 09:45 PM

358 posts, read 102,313 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDayAttaTime View Post
not necessarily the wrong forum, but etiquette recommends at least summarizing why you posted a link. I can sit here an post links all day, but then that would be not so cool without at least saying why.

Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM

21 posts, read 2,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I can think of quite a few things wrong with being a ditch digger. It being honest work or a needed field are completely different issues than whether it's a desirable profession.

Gotta side with the principal here, that kid was being a smart mouth.
Principals are not paid to demean the children but serve them. No child shouldn't have been exposed to this demeaning of any person by another, especially by a role model.
Shame on you for standing up to these put downs directed towards those who work manual labor. You have a very smart mouth and hopefully a child will put you in your place.

Old Yesterday, 08:01 AM

21 posts, read 2,399 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by settled00 View Post
not necessarily the wrong forum, but etiquette recommends at least summarizing why you posted a link. I can sit here an post links all day, but then that would be not so cool without at least saying why.
She owes no one an explanation upon her personal motives for posting the link.

The heading is in the title, it summarizes the link. That's all you need. Click or pass it up

Old Yesterday, 08:14 AM

28,020 posts, read 60,478,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikoba View Post
She owes no one an explanation...
The heading is in the title, it summarizes the link. That's all you need.
You're new here. You may be new to forums generally.

It is always the speakers responsibility to make themselves understood.
Posting URL links without something stated as to why that other material might be of general interest...
or at least describing why the poster thinks it's worth investigating is a MINIMUM standard.
One brief paragraph, a sentence or two, is often enough.

Last edited by MrRational; Yesterday at 08:28 AM..

Old Today, 06:41 PM

4,178 posts, read 2,382,119 times
Regardless of how or why the OP posted this, its self evident that the linked article makes a point the OP should not have to reiterate to make.

That said, i have often said: if there were no minimum wage earners to do the job, who, yes who, would clean the wealthy's toilets? Because they surely won't.

Now, there may be wealthy who DO clean their own toilets, the Millionaire Next Door comes to mind. They are ordinary people who happen to be millionaires, and they most likely don't have a maid to clean the toilets. More power to them if they do have a maid.

The point IS, if you grab fast food, eat in a restaurant, shop in a store, get gas at a gas station, sleep in a hotel, etc etc etc, you are relying on minimum wage employees to do those jobs...all the while you probably complain about the " high prices" of the food, gas, hotel room, etc.

These jobs are just as meaningful as a job in a STEM field or coming up with new ways for minimum wage employees to do a job.

They have as much a right to dignity as a doctor or lawyer, or a pharmacist or chemist, or IT program developer.

As long as one IS an honest worker, contributes to society at some level, they should be and deserve to be valued.

And they have a right to a " living wage" in the area in which they work.

Just because you may make $125k/year doesn't mean you are valued any more than the minimum wage worker, especially if you SHOULD be paid $200k for the job you are doing. Those who make such money often forget that they may be undervalued too, that their employer is paying them the minimum they can get away with. If you are being paid said $125k and someone comes along qualified who will do the job for $100k instead, guess who gets replaced or not hired for said job???
Ditto for THE CEO who gets paid millions and millions of dollars to see you get paid the minimum they can away with.

If you are making 6 figures or close to it, dies it really matter to you if the lowly worker is paid $20k minimum or a living wage of $25k? Does that demean your six fugure status that much?

So the next time you use a CLEAN public bathroom, or order a quick meal to go ( like your Starbucks coffee and coffee cake or sandwich to go with it), remember to value those minimum wage employees who did NOT spit in your coffee or drop your sandwich on the ground. That employee may have to work a whole hour or more just to afford what you think of as chump change.

If you ARE a lower wage worker or minimum wage worker, you know this already.

And NO the student was NOT being a smart ass, he was making a valid point. The principal's response is what is suspect.
A good guidance counselor will show a student how to prepare for a job future in what interests them or is in line with their abilities, not just shove them into college to get any old job. College is not for everyone, especially those who had trouble finishing high school by barely passing.
I see SO MANY on here who are degreed in 6 figure jobs complaining about stress due to their job, can't wait for retirement, want out of the rat race or who take a pay cut to get a less stressful job. They might actually be happier digging ditches.

I forget which industrial magnate who said " the most important job in the factory is.... the guy who sweeps the floor". He realized that the peon jobs were very important to the smooth operation of the factory.

Old Today, 06:46 PM
Status: "EXONERATED! we tried to tell libs" (set 2 hours ago)

4,403 posts, read 831,852 times
I understood that it is a Dear Abby column advice story by the title so I clicked.

Keep posting OP!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or