U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2018, 03:15 AM

8,925 posts, read 4,876,421 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatornation View Post
Blaming the lack of success on an older person keeping a job longer is weak. Its an excuse. Before you ask I'm under 30.
I kinda agree... at least in my small view of the world.

In my field (technology) where things become obsolete quickly, people in their 50s are vulnerable. I have it in mind that by the time I am 50, there will be a drastic job change.... so I best prepare for it. I simply just don't know what or how... yet... I have a few years to figure it out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2018, 03:42 AM

66,459 posts, read 67,616,280 times
as the saying goes , those that really want to succeed will find a way . the rest will find an excuse.

many who perceive things as age related may just not be a desirable worker anymore and just be performance related or work ethic related .

there was a special on pbs where they had this one sided skewed story about the retirement crisis .

they had all these unemployed older people who could not find work so they gave up and retired in poor shape .

there was not one motivated , driven person in the bunch that i would have ever considered hiring and not because of age .

Last edited by mathjak107; 12-07-2018 at 04:29 AM..

Old 12-07-2018, 06:34 AM

5,519 posts, read 1,616,466 times
in today's workplace, you're ahead of most low wage workers (< $20 and hour) if you show up for work on time and stay off your cell phone.

Old 12-07-2018, 02:25 PM

1,818 posts, read 432,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
That is my feeling as well...

Manufacturing is a full stack of employment. From the lower paying jobs all the way up to those that manage and run the business. We have a lot of services related businesses which tend to produce jobs at the higher tiers.

I was looking at the list of the US companies with the largest number of employees.

Walmart - lots of retail, stock, etc (#1 spot. Almost four times larger than #2)

Amazon - Lots of stock, shipping.
Yum China - food services. Owns over 7k restaurants nation wide
Kroger - again food. retail.. including department stores, jewelry stores, and convenience stores.
Home depot - retail, stock, etc.
Berkshire Hathaway - owns a ton of businesses which in turn hire from top to bottom.
And, no one really ever thought about it at the time, but manufacturing jobs began to require IT and infrastructure support for machines to communicate with one another during the last years of the boom.

I remember my dad was an engineer at a small mfg plant, and his neighbor had a high school education and worked for Philip Morris (tobacco company). $30+ per hour (in the 1990s!), frequent overtime paying double time, pension, and triple time on holidays. His job duties? Stand next to a machine and watch Marlboros go by. Might get a jam after loading a new roll of paper, but that's about it. Stayed until the plant shut down, then went on to open his own garage and fix cars, still does to this day.

Old 12-08-2018, 04:32 AM

5,141 posts, read 2,445,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usayit View Post
In my field (technology) where things become obsolete quickly, people in their 50s are vulnerable.
Agreed. When people 50+ get laid off in tech it can be an end-of-career notice, or at least the start of a very long frustrating job search despite low unemployment in the field. The ones who fare better are the friendly types who maintained a good social network in the business.

It was part of my motivation to retire early, I didn't want to be a 50+ software dev who needed the paycheck.

Old 12-08-2018, 07:49 AM

4,420 posts, read 4,515,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Agreed. When people 50+ get laid off in tech it can be an end-of-career notice, or at least the start of a very long frustrating job search despite low unemployment in the field. The ones who fare better are the friendly types who maintained a good social network in the business.

It was part of my motivation to retire early, I didn't want to be a 50+ software dev who needed the paycheck.
Iíve only worked in tech in one company and they did do a pretty big mass exodus a few years ago, with a lot of older workers, but what it really was was a tech stack switch and the older workers only new the legacy tech stack. So, they were essentially worthless after the legacy tech stack went down. Iím sure they were all told this was coming, but at that age many people just arenít interested in starting over, so they kind of push it off assuming it will be a long time before a company that size can actually migrate and retire a legacy stack like that.

Hell Iím seeing it where Iím at with late 20s early 30s employees. They arenít interested in learning R or Python for data analysis because they already know SPSS. The company wants to move away from paying for all the SPSS licenses and realizes R and Python are 10x more powerful and versatile, but tons of resistance to even try to learn them.

Old 12-16-2018, 07:41 PM

8,557 posts, read 7,559,641 times
The statements made by the OP are false, proven by thede charts, and how far the U-3 and especially have fallen since 2010.

https://www.economicgreenfield.com/2...tember-7-2018/

Old 12-18-2018, 11:57 AM

1,228 posts, read 304,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
as the saying goes , those that really want to succeed will find a way . the rest will find an excuse.

many who perceive things as age related may just not be a desirable worker anymore and just be performance related or work ethic related .

there was a special on pbs where they had this one sided skewed story about the retirement crisis .

they had all these unemployed older people who could not find work so they gave up and retired in poor shape .

there was not one motivated , driven person in the bunch that i would have ever considered hiring and not because of age .
Have you been un/underemployed for an extended period of time? If not, you really can't comment on how a human being will react to that situation over time. Eventually hopelessness sets in no matter how positive or motivated you are.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:01 AM

5,519 posts, read 1,616,466 times
the everybody gets a trophy generation seems frustrated, oh well, lesson learned.

Old 12-20-2018, 07:23 AM

66,459 posts, read 67,616,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Have you been un/underemployed for an extended period of time? If not, you really can't comment on how a human being will react to that situation over time. Eventually hopelessness sets in no matter how positive or motivated you are.
My early years were always under employed . But I spent a lifetime morphing in to related areas that made sure I was not under employed . I have been unemployed but never more than a week as I made sure I was always on competitors radar so I would be someone they rather have with them then against them
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics