Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 07:26 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
I long for the return to simpler times when towns and cities weren't open 24/7, but actually closed on Sundays. (Many places on Saturday, too.)

I'd love to see people return to a bartering service so everyone could afford to get what they need. The single mother babysits for credits towards the plumber fixing her toilet, whose earning credits to "pay" for the dental work he needs done so the dentist can earn credits to "pay" for babysitting services so he can take his wife out. Every service is worth a different, but fair, amount of credit, which is stored and used for bartering. I've lived in places where people did this and it was great!

Frankly, after they invented indoor plumbing, they could have just stopped with all inventions right there! We had all we needed with that!
well I don't think we will go back to Sunday being the day places are closed. but we will get to a time when economically, things are more even handed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2008, 08:46 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,517,506 times
The middle class isn't getting pay raises to keep up with inflation. I haven't had a raise in 4 years for fear of pricing myself out of a job. CEO's walking away with multi-million dollar bonus is outrageous.

Our local news had a segment recently about living to the age of 150; that the medical profession is making it possible. Can you see all the problems this country will have if that happens?

Old 04-12-2008, 10:12 PM

2,017 posts, read 5,105,666 times
What I will never understand is how corporate executives can cut salaries and budgets and downsize and lay-off due to "budget woes" and still get their exorbitant raises and bonuses. Their bonuses alone far exceed what the average worker there makes in a year.

I hate Corporate America with a passion that burns deep within my soul and has the red-hot intensity of 2,000 burning suns.

Old 04-12-2008, 10:26 PM

6,993 posts, read 17,359,800 times
sample

short answer is, we live in America and America's motto is GET MONEY at all cost.

Old 04-13-2008, 11:35 AM

Quote:
What I will never understand is how corporate executives can cut salaries and budgets and downsize and lay-off due to "budget woes" and still get their exorbitant raises and bonuses. Their bonuses alone far exceed what the average worker there makes in a year.

I hate Corporate America with a passion that burns deep within my soul and has the red-hot intensity of 2,000 burning suns.
Actually some of those bonuses far exceed what the average worker makes in 10 years! IMHO

Old 04-13-2008, 03:16 PM

2,883 posts, read 5,888,756 times
Quote:

I think they stopped being CEO's long ago. Now they're just opportunistic theives, not much different than the guy who walks into a jewelry store and cases the joint. Stealing money in a suit seems to be alot more lucrative!

Why aren't more CEO's brought up on outright thievery charges? What else is it?

How do you walk away with $80 or $100 million when your company loses billions?

What's the difference between that and a 3rd world dictator that steals hundreds of millions from the state treasury while the population in general suffers?

Old 04-13-2008, 03:42 PM

955 posts, read 2,156,895 times
Quote:
Government misspending and corruption (and being owned by special interest groups) are HUGELY to blame for money woes. Higher taxes is the American public bailing politicians out of the messes THEY'VE made.
What is the meaning of "special interest groups"?

Big oil?

Trial Lawyers?

Insurance companies?

Teacher's unions?

Drug companies?

University grant seekers?

Old 04-13-2008, 04:52 PM

6,795 posts, read 7,285,342 times
America will not recover. When the Corporations began to implement Globalization they began to dissasemble american industries and export them to countries with cheap labor in order to maximise their own profits. They told us that a service based jobs would pay just as well as manufacturing. Of course this was a lie, but there were few out there that were speaking the truth and the ones who were were ignored (ie Ross Perot). Through inflated real estate and cheap borrowed money they were able to keep the economy booming thru the 90's and early 2000's. But it was all a pyramid scheme. There was no real wealth being created, only consumption thru debt. Now it is all falling apart. It is clear now that the Emperor has no clothes. There is no indusrial base to create wealth, there is no population of well educated people to launch us into the high tech arena. Only non growth service sector jobs in which one service is traded for another. We have allowed self serving corporations and a corupt goverment to lead us down a dead end street. In the end we will get what we deserve.

Old 04-14-2008, 06:03 AM

739 posts, read 830,049 times
Gloom, despair and agony on me. . Deep, dark depression..excessive misery, If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all. .

Jeez, I've never heard such whining in my life! Well, maybe from 3 or 4 year olds.

Old 04-14-2008, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buckhead_Broker View Post
Jeez, I've never heard such whining in my life! Well, maybe from 3 or 4 year olds.
You work for the rich, maybe you don't belong here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics