U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2019, 09:43 PM

69 posts, read 14,047 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
You're missing an important component: The supply:demand ratio of available labor hours.
Reduce the current oversupply and even the remaining dolts will be worth more $/hr.

And labor is a market factor.
One of these days the labor advocates will realize that again.
Are you saying there's an "oversupply" of labor? If so, apparently the economy is very different where you live than where I live.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2019, 04:53 AM

28,164 posts, read 60,891,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K1500 View Post
Are you saying there's an "oversupply" of labor?
At just about every level... but most acutely at the no/low skill end.
This is the root of what has distorted the MW argument.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:15 AM

98 posts, read 30,629 times
In my area, there is a lack of labor and it is reflected in the beginning wage offered at fast food places. They are all offering $10-11 per hour to start. The big question is how many of them will offer full time hours. I don't know the answer to that question, but it plays a role in living wage vs. minimum wage.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:23 PM

25,634 posts, read 28,006,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by numsgal View Post
Seattle tried the experiment of a $15/hr minimum wage. It didn't work as expected:

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...-costing-jobs/
I think the article above says it all. The critics of minimum wage laws are correct. The article was from the Seattle Times & the study cited was from the University of Washington. So no one can say it's some right wing sponsored study.

The city’s escalating minimum wage has meant a slight increase in pay among workers earning up to $19 per hour, but the hours worked in such jobs have shrunk, a study commissioned by the city found. It estimates there would be 5,000 more such jobs without the Seattle law.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
Mysticaltiger, we agree on lots of things. Apparently not this.

What i mean IS they do the jobs no one wants to do and are paid minimum wage to do them.

I have some college, i work above minimum wage, but thats ok as i am a working person with disabilities, as you know. Im limited on what i can earn, so it doesnt bother me to be above minimum. There are plenty of days i physically or mentally cannot work, and days i struggle through. I definitely need more time off than the average worker. Minimum or $350k/,yr. Im a hotel desk clerk. Usually minimum wage, but i command higher, even being disabled.

Its all relative.

But DO respect the guy who cleans the toilets you use. He'll ( or she) will be most appreciative. As you are for the clean toilet.

As far as minimum wage jobs going away, i highly doubt it.

I think you're conflating respect with the amount paid. The two are not the same thing.

Of course, minimum wage jobs won't go away. We have too many people who aren't qualified for anything else, and at least a few who don't mind working for minimum wage as they view it as a supplemental income.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
40% of babies born in the US are to unwed mothers, that's a bigger problem than the MW.
Agreed.

And that's a big reason why we have so many people who don't have good job qualifications:

...a wealth of research strongly suggests that marriage is good for children. Those who live with their biological parents do better in school and are less likely to get pregnant or arrested. They have lower rates of suicide, achieve higher levels of education and earn more as adults. Meanwhile, children who spend time in single-parent families are more likely to misbehave, get sick, drop out of high school and be unemployed.

https://www.brookings.edu/opinions/t...nmarried-moms/

Old 04-06-2019, 08:39 PM

13,615 posts, read 9,679,480 times
Any money token system not operated by the laborers and businesses that generate surplus usable goods and services, is a scam.
All government and banker controlled money systems are but schemes to incrementally cheat and rob the (m)asses.

eCONomists are apologists for these criminals.

Old 04-06-2019, 08:44 PM

956 posts, read 361,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgraphics View Post
Any money token system not operated by the laborers and businesses that generate surplus usable goods and services, is a scam.
All government and banker controlled money systems are but schemes to incrementally cheat and rob the (m)asses.

eCONomists are apologists for these criminals.

Wow!

Is this perspective a product of the modern education system?

Old 04-07-2019, 05:08 AM

28,164 posts, read 60,891,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
40% of babies born in the US are to unwed mothers, that's a bigger problem than the MW.
It's (almost exactly) the SAME problem.

Old 04-07-2019, 10:36 AM

4,036 posts, read 7,630,717 times
If the entire population is college educated, there would still be a need for people who serve food and stock supermarket shelves. Since people are educated, they would demand more money for those jobs.

Be glad that there are uneducated people who work for minimum wages. But that doesn't mean they should be paid slave wages forever. Blame taxes for high cost of living, not minimum wage earners. My state recently passed a slew of tax increases: gas tax, DMV tax, sales tax. Property tax increases are a given.

I can absorb these tax increases. But for people who make minimum wages, the tax increases take away a significant portion of their meager paycheck.

Last edited by davidt1; 04-07-2019 at 11:00 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or