U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2019, 09:19 AM

28,195 posts, read 61,015,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Read my post again. The armchair economists have been saying and posting for years
that raising the minimum wage will also raise the overall unemployment rate.
I'm sure there are some people who have stated things so poorly...
but if you're gonna blame them for more than "internet overstating" you don't have much to go on.
Certainly not without quotes in context.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2019, 04:50 PM

7,984 posts, read 8,819,307 times
Quote:
Read my post again. The armchair economists have been saying and posting for years that raising the minimum wage will also raise the overall unemployment rate. The chart I posted disproves their thesis. They were just as wrong as the people who said in 2012 that California was going to be the next Greece.

If you are suggesting that California's unemployment drop was composed of increased hiring at high-paying jobs at large enough numbers to offset losses of minimum wage jobs, I'm not aware of any evidence or facts to support that.
Proofread and then repost. Your first point is logically flawed vis a vis your earlier arguments.

Regarding your second point I'd ask you to spend an hour looking over CA's employment metrics across the wages over the last few years. If you can't find high confidence data I'll send/link you some.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:05 PM

2,685 posts, read 462,020 times
Quote:
Read my post again. The armchair economists have been saying and posting for years that raising the minimum wage will also raise the overall unemployment rate. The chart I posted disproves their thesis. They were just as wrong as the people who said in 2012 that California was going to be the next Greece.

If you are suggesting that California's unemployment drop was composed of increased hiring at high-paying jobs at large enough numbers to offset losses of minimum wage jobs, I'm not aware of any evidence or facts to support that.
You can't prove your point with a chart of employment numbers. You don't know what the unemployment rate would have been with a different min. wage law.

Wage rates represent the price of labor, so min. wage laws (as generally implemented in the US) are a price control. Economists agree overwhelmingly that price controls are a bad idea:
https://www.econlib.org/library/Enc/PriceControls.html

Quote:
... economists are generally opposed to [price controls], except perhaps for very brief periods during emergencies. In a survey published in 1992, 76.3 percent of the economists surveyed agreed with the statement: A ceiling on rents reduces the quality and quantity of housing available. ... only 6.5 percent disagreed.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:09 PM

The minimum wage as generally implemented is a sham and a political scam. If done honestly, it would be implemented same as agriculture price controls, where the price is allowed to float according to the market, but if it drops below a certain minimum level, gov't makes up the difference with a subsidy paid to farmers.

Any high level politician has sufficient advice from staff who have studied econ to know this. Thus, any high-level (say US congress critters and up) who promotes the minimum wage is flat LYING TO YOU.

Old 04-30-2019, 09:12 PM

Sweden has NO minimum wage, but most workers are unionized. With a union, workers have a team of experienced negotiators to get them reasonable wages in relation to market conditions.

The US minimum wage laws are a sham and a shame.

Old Today, 04:41 AM

12,622 posts, read 9,780,389 times
The real problem is that we have a totally outdated school system that spends 12 years teaching people to be production-line factory workers, but very few skills relevant in the modern world, nor even a modern way of doing things. Then we tell them they need four more years of school to improve their skills, but it was us that forced them to waste the first 12 years. They deserve better than this because their situation is involuntary (since people under 18 do not have the legal right to choose their own schooling).

Old Today, 09:36 AM

8,439 posts, read 4,946,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncole1 View Post
The real problem is that we have a totally outdated school system that spends 12 years teaching people to be production-line factory workers, but very few skills relevant in the modern world, nor even a modern way of doing things. Then we tell them they need four more years of school to improve their skills, but it was us that forced them to waste the first 12 years. They deserve better than this because their situation is involuntary (since people under 18 do not have the legal right to choose their own schooling).
Absolutely spot on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or