Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2019, 10:42 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,983,513 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by galaxyhi View Post
if they really want to help, then they should push for a LIVING wage, not a minimum wage, it WILL vary by city, be it San Francisco or Podunk, Missouri, and even that will be frought will problems.
Will just cause inflationary pressure. Nothing more.

Quote:
not everyone wants to do minimum wage jobs
Not everyone wants to drive a 1988 Honda Civic to work, or take the bus, or ride a rusty bike. But people have to make tough economic decisions that will hopefully lead to better economic fruits down the road. No one is owed anything.

Quote:
And all minimum wage workers require respect...they do jobs no one else wants to do.
This is a common fallacy. Many people want to take minimum wage/part time employed jobs. College students who have a full semester load of credits actively seek part-time minimum wage jobs because they simply can't work a full-time schedule. Same with younger high school students looking for work experience. An artificially high "living wage" crowds these people out since employers will hire candidates with more experience and value than someone who is just getting their career started.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2019, 12:50 PM

30,891 posts, read 36,934,424 times
Quote:

And all minimum wage workers require respect...they do jobs no one else wants to do.
I do have to take issue with this comment. If "no one" wanted to do minimum wage jobs, they would pay better. That's just basic supply and demand economics. The problem we have in America is that we have way too many people who are only qualified for minimum wage type work. That's one of many reasons why wages have stagnated over the last 40 years.

Old 04-04-2019, 02:07 PM

37,585 posts, read 45,944,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
The problem we have in America is that we have way too many people who are only qualified for minimum wage type work. That's one of many reasons why wages have stagnated over the last 40 years.
Agreed.

Old 04-04-2019, 02:38 PM

456 posts, read 348,404 times
Seattle tried the experiment of a $15/hr minimum wage. It didn't work as expected:

https://www.seattletimes.com/busines...-costing-jobs/

Old 04-04-2019, 06:30 PM

6,503 posts, read 3,430,438 times
Frog-in-pan.

If minimum wage received COLA in lock-step with the increases applied to SS benefits, this wouldn't be such a big deal. Not saying it's occurred the same each and every year, but something a little more regular than quite literally an act of congress each and every time the rate is revisited, and it wouldn't be such a shock.

Minimum wage in a city where a 2 bedroom single-family home is $1.5M is a moot point. It will never be high enough for someone to even be a roommate. McDonald's in CA pays $12/hr starting. Minimum wage is $10.00. I'm sure McDonald's doesn't pay a worker with no experience above minimum in some lower cost-of-living states. Milk can be had in NC for $1.79 a gallon. Milk in CA was $5.99 in any store I went into.

There are precious few "types" who thrive in areas like NYC or the Bay Area:

1. Long-time residents, protected by Prop 13 (west coast) or in the case of NY has a paid-off home to offset the property taxes equivalent to a lifetime mortgage.

2. Highly specialized career new resident, upper management, law, medical doctor, or engineer. In the highest-cost areas, it can take two of these salaries to afford a 3 bedroom detached house.

3. Generational wealth

The ones who barely scrape by are in-and-out. That stint at Google or Apple for a few years, then off to Seattle or Denver for a "break". But these areas are now almost as bad as the Bay Area.

You have to get ahead of the curve to really dig in and get a foothold in a city before you're priced out. Balance that with the fact it still has to have good job prospects. Think Raleigh, Greenville, Atlanta metro... I'm on the fence about Dallas.

Old 04-05-2019, 12:38 AM

6,768 posts, read 5,480,671 times
To those who DON'T think minimum wage worker's deserve respect...at least one of you mentioned college students working through college...dont you think college students deserve respect?
Or is it only the full degreed ones who deserve respect?

To another...if you dont think they deserve respect...remember that the next sit down trip to a filthy public restroom. Because those who work hard against people who pee and poop anywhere, or who stop up toilets, keep it nice and clean for you.

But, hey if you want dirty public toilets, then we can just do away with minimum wage janitors.

Also, y'all with your high 6 figure incomes who get respect...respect is earned, if you dont want to be respected, fine. But you need to respect the minimum wage earner as much as you expect them to respect you.

And lastky for a bible thumping response.... Jesus said " as you have done to these, the least of my brothers, so have you done unto me ". So if you are Christian and want to s**t on Christ , fine with me then

ALL workers, regardless of job deserve respect....especially if they do the jobs no one wants to do!

Old 04-05-2019, 12:47 AM

6,768 posts, read 5,480,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I do have to take issue with this comment. If "no one" wanted to do minimum wage jobs, they would pay better. That's just basic supply and demand economics. The problem we have in America is that we have way too many people who are only qualified for minimum wage type work. That's one of many reasons why wages have stagnated over the last 40 years.
Mysticaltiger, we agree on lots of things. Apparently not this.

What i mean IS they do the jobs no one wants to do and are paid minimum wage to do them.

I have some college, i work above minimum wage, but thats ok as i am a working person with disabilities, as you know. Im limited on what i can earn, so it doesnt bother me to be above minimum. There are plenty of days i physically or mentally cannot work, and days i struggle through. I definitely need more time off than the average worker. Minimum or $350k/,yr. Im a hotel desk clerk. Usually minimum wage, but i command higher, even being disabled.

Its all relative.

But DO respect the guy who cleans the toilets you use. He'll ( or she) will be most appreciative. As you are for the clean toilet.

As far as minimum wage jobs going away, i highly doubt it.

Old 04-05-2019, 05:35 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,911,742 times
Quote:
...they do the jobs no one wants to do and are paid minimum wage to do them.
You seem to suggest that the MW workers PREFER not doing something that pays better.

Quote:
As far as minimum wage jobs going away, i highly doubt it.
Every single one? Of course not.

Old 04-05-2019, 06:12 AM

69 posts, read 50,574 times
This is an example of why the minimum wage debate is kind of irrelevant.

Target has raised "their" minimum wage - again - in order to get the workers they need. $13 per hour, to start.

Stop washing dishes or changing bed pans for $9 per hour, and go to work for $13.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-t...-idUSKCN1RG1F9

Old 04-05-2019, 06:21 AM

20,090 posts, read 8,995,406 times
40% of babies born in the US are to unwed mothers, that's a bigger problem than the MW.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics