U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 06:14 AM

2,632 posts, read 1,919,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jiminnm View Post
The only true passive income is from FDIC-protected bank accounts and government bonds. You but or save and let it ride. Any stock investments are, by their nature, not passive. You have to pay attention to stock investments and what type of stock investments you have and need. I'm not suggesting trying to time the market or follow the hot trends, but you need to rebalance your investments from time to time and change your investment philosophy. You also need to take inflation into account as $50K when you're 70 buys a lot less that $50K when you're 35.
isn't it settled fact that you can't save your way to 2 million on a small salary (under 100k) without dipping your toes in stocks. Index fund investing is as close to passive stock investing as you're going to get. Ignoring the dips and continue investing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2019, 08:51 PM

1,098 posts, read 381,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Not sure how you arrived at those numbers that you posted above?

My last yearly salary was about $135K and my Medicare part B is $135, my United Health Care supplemental with a yearly deductible of $138 is $126 per month and my drug plan is 14.50 per month and covers two drugs taken daily with zero out of pocket costs!
FYI, I retired two years ago.
I have F supplemental with the same issuer, so maybe a different coverage?
I experienced increased Medicare deductions a couple of years after the increase in income occurred.
The differences are minimal, but wait a year or two.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:25 AM

1,098 posts, read 381,294 times
P.S.
Here is the IRMA info that alters Medicare premiums based on MAGI:

https://secure.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/lnx/0601101020

Old 04-12-2019, 06:20 AM

1,866 posts, read 501,464 times
The bottom line is don't even think of retiring in USA. It will not be a financial possibility.

Start forming relationships abroad. If you like teaching form relationships with schools in Asia teach online to both adults and kids and put at least some extra money to SS. They will never stop SS benefits no matter how insolvent it gets due to the domino effects on the economy. SS is guaranteed revenue for practically every U.S. business imaginable. If they take that away from an aging population this country would go bankrupt instantly. Teachers pensions on the other hand they may be more comfortable with letting 30,000 people go broke and destitute vs 30 million. Depends on how many retirees are in the pool and the likelihood the city/state you live in remains solvent 30-40 years from now

Old 04-12-2019, 06:28 AM

69,448 posts, read 70,016,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rickcin View Post
Not sure how you arrived at those numbers that you posted above?

My last yearly salary was about $135K and my Medicare part B is $135, my United Health Care supplemental with a yearly deductible of $138 is $126 per month and my drug plan is 14.50 per month and covers two drugs taken daily with zero out of pocket costs!
FYI, I retired two years ago.
we pay 91.09 for a high deductible f-plan , 138 for medicare and 40 for a drug plan , in new york. the best is my f-plan has silver sneakers and covers the 40 bucks i was paying for the gym ....

Old 04-12-2019, 07:35 PM

1,205 posts, read 927,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
The bottom line is don't even think of retiring in USA. It will not be a financial possibility.

Start forming relationships abroad. If you like teaching form relationships with schools in Asia teach online to both adults and kids and put at least some extra money to SS. They will never stop SS benefits no matter how insolvent it gets due to the domino effects on the economy. SS is guaranteed revenue for practically every U.S. business imaginable. If they take that away from an aging population this country would go bankrupt instantly. Teachers pensions on the other hand they may be more comfortable with letting 30,000 people go broke and destitute vs 30 million. Depends on how many retirees are in the pool and the likelihood the city/state you live in remains solvent 30-40 years from now
Can do.

This post tells me exactly what to do, now its just a matter of doing it.

Iíve been SOO lethargic lately that its hard to do the minimum at my career I have now, much less extra. My lethargy has to go beyond just tiredness, though. It stays with me regardless of how much or how little I sleep and it gets worse after any kind of physical exertion. I basically feel like a slug who can barely move, but I always manage to push through and get the minimum for my job done.

As far as what you told me to do, Iím familiar with VIP kid and could basically double my income with a little self-discipline and getting over this tiredness.

Old 04-13-2019, 02:54 AM

1,866 posts, read 501,464 times
Part of the health issue is potentially due to stress from work. Teaching in USA is a thankless job in many ways , emotionally, mentally and physically taxing.

Do you have a proper support system? Subscribe to a Blue Apron type food service if you don't have time to cook and ensure your blood markers from physical exam bloodwork are not abnormal. Start walking more when possible drop the cash for a treadmill in your home if there's space. Speaking from experience I know that not enough activity and being sedentary will literally kill you and zap all of your energy. Consider moving to a major city where less driving is required. Sometimes a change of scenery fixes multiple issues in one's life.

Old 04-13-2019, 09:23 PM

1,205 posts, read 927,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Part of the health issue is potentially due to stress from work. Teaching in USA is a thankless job in many ways , emotionally, mentally and physically taxing.

Do you have a proper support system? Subscribe to a Blue Apron type food service if you don't have time to cook and ensure your blood markers from physical exam bloodwork are not abnormal. Start walking more when possible drop the cash for a treadmill in your home if there's space. Speaking from experience I know that not enough activity and being sedentary will literally kill you and zap all of your energy. Consider moving to a major city where less driving is required. Sometimes a change of scenery fixes multiple issues in one's life.
I would probably spend the same or similar with blue apron to what I spend now on fast food. Iím pretty much always hungry and I eat obscene amounts of food in one sitting before going back home to either struggle through my work tasks or sleep.

I have a fasting lab I keep rescheduling because something keeps coming up last minute, but I will try my best to make it this time. For starters, I need to control my appetite that day and I also need to be luckier and hope another last minute emergency doesnít pop up. Besides my mother, all my friends and family are dead, so its almost just me.

The only good thing about being as tired as I stay is it probably makes me eat less because Iím often too tired to even get the food Iím always so hungry for.

Old 04-13-2019, 11:12 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
21,934 posts, read 39,131,536 times
Consider getting the diet & wellness under control and a lot of your challenges will fall into place.

International living / expenses and healthcare costs will be a benefit for LT 'semiretired' / minimal income.

Old Today, 05:19 AM

2,632 posts, read 1,919,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
One pursues a salaried job where the earnings are at or above the annual SS cap for that tax-year, and aims to maintain that job for as long as possible. Also, one makes sure to have 35 creditable years, where one has SS contributions... ideally with a salary exceeding the respective SS cap every year.

This is unfortunately contrary to the very core of FIRE philosophy. It is the antithesis of saving aggressively and taking a maximally early exit from the rat-race. Alternative perceptions abound.
hmm I still have a few years to go before fulfilling the 35 years, but generating around 8k/year in reinvested div income. Expecting 2 small pensions, so I think i'll be ok. Not rolling in the dough. My wife says we'll earn more in retirement than we do currently while working but I'm not sure if that's true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or