U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 03:20 PM

7,651 posts, read 7,064,420 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
I'm only 30 but is anyone else noticing massive US decline?

I feel like the number of poor or homeless is increasing, and student loan amounts are rising way over inflation. Places with jobs have unaffordable housing even for many professionals and places without jobs have half the people on disability. I'm currently making over 100k/yr and live better than many of my friends. But my standard of living is far below that of my low paid hippie parents who used to casually rent a 3 bedroom home in my area while my Dad worked a mediocre job and my mom stayed home to raise me.

Republican vs Democrat I don't think it matters. It's all smoke and mirrors to deny the actual problem. Do any of you think there are merely too many humans? Like all ecosystems when too many organisms exist and comsume the limited resources there is a crash.

Maybe a global one child policy is the way to go.
Since you're only 30, there was a long period from the late 80's to the late 90's where housing inflation was relatively subdued. There were some exceptions, such as Silicon Valley where I worked and found apartment rents quadrupled in five years.

There is a lot of recent real estate inflation that goes unreported in the official government figures for shelter costs. They also don't include real estate taxes and HOA fees in the shelter costs. We pay almost twice as much now in just taxes, HOA, and insurance than it took to rent a 3-bedroom about 35 years ago.

There is also the long-term trend to outsourcing jobs so that many positions are filled by part-time workers and contractors. They are paid relatively poor fringe benefits with out-of-pocket premiums for insurance and 401k is often without match by the employer. It's been going on for 30+ years and spread to Japan, Korea, and other economies. There is a lot of insecurity unless you work in the defense sector where possessing a high-level clearance acts as a safety net.

Last edited by lchoro; Yesterday at 04:17 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 03:32 PM

6,590 posts, read 10,869,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mysticaltyger View Post
I might add that part of the reason why we seem to have more poor and homeless people is that smart, educated, people are having fewer children than the not so smart and uneducated. I definitely think they've been engineering an underclass for quite a while. Make out of wedlock child bearing socially acceptable and then subsidize the people doing it with various welfare benefits while at the same time you tell the educated people they should reduce the number of kids they have because of global overpopulation. Those are just a few of the methods used to engineer certain outcomes.
Who are "they" doing all this "engineering"??? And what possible advantage is there for "them" in subsidizing more welfare??

Paul Ehrlich's The Population Bomb book came out in 1968. Educated people read it and the uneducated didn't. The educated class reduced their family size thinking they were doing the right thing for the planet.

The ultimate result of that has been that the rich got richer and the poor got poorer because having a lot of kids is no longer advantageous since we no longer have an agrarian society.

Old Yesterday, 04:11 PM

4,975 posts, read 2,048,594 times
Are you kidding?

You realize that new jobless claims hit a 50-year low last week? Wages are tracking higher?

I've been through the Arab Oil Embargo, double-digit inflation, 21% interest rates, the Dot Com Bubble, and the Housing Market and Banking meltdowns.
I mean, hey, we'll have a recession at some point. After all, the economy is a cyclical thing. But if you're seriously thinking the US is in financial decline, you need to read some history, not to mention the financial news.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; Yesterday at 04:21 PM..

Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM

4,967 posts, read 1,847,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
Unfettered capitalism? OP lives in California. I would argue that's the opposite of unfetter capitalism.
"California Capitalism" -- highly taxed at the top end, highly regulated -- works quite well. I laugh when people say California isn't business friendly: California has the No. 1 GDP in the U.S. and No. 5 in the world. Business conditions can't be too bad in order to make California such an economic powerhouse. In fact, a lot of the problems OP is talking about -- lack of affordable housing, high COL -- are mostly symptoms of success, not economic failure.

Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM

4,924 posts, read 2,578,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post

I laugh. While it’s simplistic and premature to shout that “China is the future!”, ultimately it is reasonable to suppose, that the intellectual tradition of Western Enlightenment will flourish not in America, but somewhere in Asia.

The last laugh would be when the humans who return to the moon, would be Chinese… landing there on a Chinese rocket, that owes its origin to H.S. Tsien… the Chinese aerospace engineer educated at Caltech, taught by a person himself educated in Germany (Von Karman), expelled from America for being a “communist”.
Well, leftism is devouring the west. The Chinese were at least smart and snuffed out all the SJWs in China. So they're path to fortune has much fewer obstacles than us.

Old Yesterday, 05:01 PM

4,924 posts, read 2,578,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
"California Capitalism" -- highly taxed at the top end, highly regulated -- works quite well
What's the poverty rate?

Old Yesterday, 05:25 PM

758 posts, read 1,393,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
That “The West is in decline” has been a shrill outcry since at least 1914. All that changes with successive generations is dismay that the prior generation fouled it up so badly, failing to take action and instead bickering over picayune things. Or maybe, that means that nothing whatsoever has changed?

This is nothing new. It’s been the case since Herbert Spencer and the “Social Darwinists” of the late 19th century… or even Cotton Mather and the late-period Puritans of the 18th century. There is something in the Calvinist Anglo-American West, that insists on equating success with money… more vehemently, almost more scientifically, than anything in say Catholicism or Eastern Orthodoxy or Islam.
I agree with most of this post. I'm only 40, but I can remember people crying about the sky falling for at least 25 years. Even in my short life, I see the pattern with every new president. OP, pay attention over the course of the next 10 years and you will hear the exact same complaints, gripes, and fears as you hear every year.

Better yet, read some history and you'll realize that every society at any point in time has had the same complaints and fears. I've read ancient Roman history where people are complaining about the same things as we do today, how the kids of today don't behave, how morals are in decline, how nobody respects authority anymore, etc. Then flash forward to the 19th century U.S. and you will read the exact same things. Read any of Hitler's speeches and you'll realize he doesn't talk about exterminating people and starting wars. He talks about the same fears every society has, there's no jobs, the country is in decline, we used to be great, other countries are outperforming us...

Sometimes these fears spur good things, such as environmental issues being addressed, and other times they are used to manipulate.

From traveling and reading about a lot of global issues, I see many countries who are tied to the U.S. economically and culturally. They sink or swim based on what the U.S. does. With the way the world markets are connected now, I don't see an easy way to dislodge the U.S. from its current position.

The other big thing you might think about is that you really can't accurately judge a historical trend while you are in the middle of it. It's only when you look back at in the big picture that you can really say something is a real trend or not. It's like someone in the 14th century reading Dante's Inferno and declaring that the Renaissance has begun.

Old Yesterday, 05:36 PM

758 posts, read 1,393,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Who are "they" doing all this "engineering"??? And what possible advantage is there for "them" in subsidizing more welfare??

Paul Ehrlich's The Population Bomb book came out in 1968. Educated people read it and the uneducated didn't. The educated class reduced their family size thinking they were doing the right thing for the planet.

The ultimate result of that has been that the rich got richer and the poor got poorer because having a lot of kids is no longer advantageous since we no longer have an agrarian society.

I think higher education and income levels generally lead to a lower birth rate regardless of anything the government is doing. People who want a career, save for retirement, and generally plan out their life will typically delay having their first child and, wanting a high-quality upbringing for their children, have less kids overall. This is not true for every individual, but it's a trend we see in many different countries in the modern world. Therefore, low-income families will generally have more kids and their population will grow faster than others.

I don't think people necessarily plan out having less kids on purpose thinking they will be richer because of it. Many of us launch ourselves into a career after college and really don't think about having a kid until we feel like we are ready for it. A lot of times, this means having the first child in our late 20s or early 30s.

Old Yesterday, 05:37 PM

5,636 posts, read 2,704,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXRunner View Post
I agree with most of this post. I'm only 40, but I can remember people crying about the sky falling for at least 25 years.
Same same. I believe it's the mindset of some people more than the state of the country, you put these folks in just about any era in history and they've be the one observing a decline and ticking off non-contextual anecdotes to support their case.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Who are "they" doing all this "engineering"???
Careful, if you poke the conspiracy theorist the thread is often bombarded with youtube videos.

Old Yesterday, 06:55 PM

29 posts, read 4,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
Same same. I believe it's the mindset of some people more than the state of the country, you put these folks in just about any era in history and they've be the one observing a decline and ticking off non-contextual anecdotes to support their case.

Careful, if you poke the conspiracy theorist the thread is often bombarded with youtube videos.
I also thought it was interesting that the conspiracy theorist decided to use Henry Ford quoting how the bankers are causing all the problems. This is the same Henry Ford who was obvious antisemite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or