Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2019, 11:13 PM

15,419 posts, read 9,049,675 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
And of course the Chinese economy isn’t a balloon and doesn’t have any threats that could take it down a peg? They also have a population 3 times larger.

Also, the U.S economy has stayed pretty consistent at around 20 percent of GDP since the early 1990s until today.

How do you know they rose because our system was no good? Maybe they have a decent system. Maybe our system is good enough that other systems would have failed 15 years ago? Maybe instead of trending gdp as a percentage of world gdp at 20 percent a lessor system would have faltered?

It has not stayed consistent. That number is down from 35% in 1985. Meanwhile China's percentage has gone from 2% in 1985 to 13% today.

Go ahead and cherry pick numbers all you like. But it won't change the fact that China's GDP growth rate is 2 times that of the US. Every economic forecast I have seen says that China's economy will pass the US in the near future. It's not a matter of if, but rather when.

Last edited by Cloudy Dayz; 04-10-2019 at 11:29 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2019, 12:30 AM

13,644 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Multinational corporations, national politicians, bureaucrats, the national news media, and academia for starters. Notice that in every western nation, the elites all share a similar urban, globalist mindset. Mainstream politicians everywhere promote this view - their constituents are at the end of the list in terms of who is the priority.

In the US, there are few substantive differences between Democrats and non-trumpian Republicans. In Europe, there are few differences between social Democrats and Christian Democrats. Our elections are largely charades intended to bamboozle the populace into thinking they are in control of their governments. But generally, the election results dont matter much. The governments do what they want and that usually means enacting policies that harm the average person. The priority is advocating for multinational corporations (mostly by importing cheap labor) and in weakening the dominant culture so that it can be replaced by their own transnational culture.
Unabashed "globalist" here. Odd, isn't it, how the people who champion national governments and national cultures generally only speak one language, and have only lived in one country? I'd love to see a pan-global government, and a non-democratic one. Recent experiences have given cautionary reasons for why popular suffrage is suspect and unreliable.

If there is a conspiracy to achieve the above, I'd gladly join it... even as an "outer party" member, wearing blue overalls. Unfortunately, national passions, even local passions, remain strong. Today globalization appears to be running in reverse. The sentiment is against trade, and especially against immigration. Increasingly, it is believed that the opening of markets is more detrimental than beneficial... and the most jealously guarded market is the labor-market.

The great calamity of our time is slowdown in innovation, and in productivity growth rate. But instead, the loudest and most shrill voices complain that workers aren't receiving enough of the benefits of productivity growth, and that too many of said benefits are being absorbed by "capital".

Once upon a time, it was realized that government and nexus of private enterprise ought to be run by a sort of aristocracy, if not hereditary, then meritocratic. Today, it is believed that the "common folk" somehow know best, and that "elites" are sinister, corrupt and evil. I wonder how we got here?

Old 04-11-2019, 03:19 AM

30,355 posts, read 19,128,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
I'm only 30 but is anyone else noticing massive US decline?

I feel like the number of poor or homeless is increasing, and student loan amounts are rising way over inflation. Places with jobs have unaffordable housing even for many professionals and places without jobs have half the people on disability. I'm currently making over 100k/yr and live better than many of my friends. But my standard of living is far below that of my low paid hippie parents who used to casually rent a 3 bedroom home in my area while my Dad worked a mediocre job and my mom stayed home to raise me.

Republican vs Democrat I don't think it matters. It's all smoke and mirrors to deny the actual problem. Do any of you think there are merely too many humans? Like all ecosystems when too many organisms exist and comsume the limited resources there is a crash.

Maybe a global one child policy is the way to go.
You frame decline only in the context of economic and on that score, I don't think the US is in decline. Much of the world particularly in Asia is developing faster but that is a natural consequence considering their economy versus the USA historically and their increase in wages is causing increases in some goods in the USA. Still we are thriving and my kids are thriving so that is the reason I say I don't see a decline....there has been a significant income diversion and wealth gap that needs to be addressed but I don't think we have the will or perhaps even the ability to correct.

The biggest area for me is moral, are we in moral decline and I think yes.

Also intellectually, we are declining a bit as well.

Old 04-11-2019, 03:58 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,427,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloudy Dayz View Post
It has not stayed consistent. That number is down from 35% in 1985. Meanwhile China's percentage has gone from 2% in 1985 to 13% today.

Go ahead and cherry pick numbers all you like. But it won't change the fact that China's GDP growth rate is 2 times that of the US. Every economic forecast I have seen says that China's economy will pass the US in the near future. It's not a matter of if, but rather when.
I guess I “cherry picked” after the fall of the Soviet Union when it became a unipolar world. Holding onto a quarter of the world’s GDP with 3 to 4 percent of the population isn’t so bad. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place economies still don’t add up to the U.S. that’s quite a lead in any “game”. Think of any industry...or sport...where else can you say the 1st place competitor adds up to more than 2, 3, and 4 combined? Expecially when 2 of those economies are the ww2 victory zones. Aka great allies of the U.S order.

China has what? 3 times the population with only 60% as much gdp as the U.S?

Yes, and I’m sure there are smaller soft drink companies with higher growth rates than Coca Cola. I’d still rather be Coke.

I lost some weight last year, and I project those weekly rates are going to continue until I’m washing my clothes on my abs with 5% body fat. I’m also going to maintain it.

Last edited by Thatsright19; 04-11-2019 at 04:52 AM..

Old 04-11-2019, 05:32 AM

2,013 posts, read 1,428,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
I'll take hyperbole for 800 Alex.
Pretty sure you just hit the Daily Double!

Old 04-11-2019, 05:36 AM

27,549 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Holding onto a quarter of the world’s GDP with 3 to 4 percent of the population isn’t so bad. The 2nd, 3rd, and 4th place economies still don’t add up to the U.S. that’s quite a lead in any “game”.
The New York Stock Exchange and the NASDAQ have a market capitalization of 41.7 trillion dollars.

That number is higher than the stock market capitalization of:

Tokyo
Shanghai
Hong Kong
Amsterdam
Brussels
Dublin
Lisbon
Paris
London
Milan
Shenzhen
Toronto
Mumbai
Frankfurt
Zurich
Seoul
Copenhagen
Stockholm
Helsinki
Tallinn
Riga
Vilnius
Iceland
Armenia
Sydney
Taipei
Sao Paulo
Johannesburg and
Madrid

COMBINED.

Sure, the United States is definitely experiencing a "huge" decline right now.

Old 04-11-2019, 05:39 AM

1,415 posts, read 1,093,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
Unabashed "globalist" here. Odd, isn't it, how the people who champion national governments and national cultures generally only speak one language, and have only lived in one country? I'd love to see a pan-global government, and a non-democratic one. Recent experiences have given cautionary reasons for why popular suffrage is suspect and unreliable.

If there is a conspiracy to achieve the above, I'd gladly join it... even as an "outer party" member, wearing blue overalls. Unfortunately, national passions, even local passions, remain strong. Today globalization appears to be running in reverse. The sentiment is against trade, and especially against immigration. Increasingly, it is believed that the opening of markets is more detrimental than beneficial... and the most jealously guarded market is the labor-market.

The great calamity of our time is slowdown in innovation, and in productivity growth rate. But instead, the loudest and most shrill voices complain that workers aren't receiving enough of the benefits of productivity growth, and that too many of said benefits are being absorbed by "capital".

Once upon a time, it was realized that government and nexus of private enterprise ought to be run by a sort of aristocracy, if not hereditary, then meritocratic. Today, it is believed that the "common folk" somehow know best, and that "elites" are sinister, corrupt and evil. I wonder how we got here?

For the majority of Americans, things such as furniture that they can afford are made in places like Asia. This wasn't the case 30 years ago. Globalization has caused a lot of manufacturers such as those of furniture to go out of business, or to become absorbed by a larger company that offshored manufacturing to places like Asia. Americans in higher income brackets can still afford to buy Made in America furniture, and the prices that prohibit the majority of Americans from buying their products is only because the competition has decreased amongst the American made furniture makers. That's just one example of very many.

Old 04-11-2019, 07:35 AM

5,907 posts, read 4,427,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
The New York Stock Exchange and the NASDAQ have a market capitalization of 41.7 trillion dollars.

That number is higher than the stock market capitalization of:

Tokyo
Shanghai
Hong Kong
Amsterdam
Brussels
Dublin
Lisbon
Paris
London
Milan
Shenzhen
Toronto
Mumbai
Frankfurt
Zurich
Seoul
Copenhagen
Stockholm
Helsinki
Tallinn
Riga
Vilnius
Iceland
Armenia
Sydney
Taipei
Sao Paulo
Johannesburg and
Madrid

COMBINED.

Sure, the United States is definitely experiencing a "huge" decline right now.
Meanwhile, I’m willing to bet that someone like Cloudy dayz couldn’t even name 10 Chinese cities or 10 Chinese companies without looking it up. Yet, he or she is so sure the U.S is bound to be a vassal state.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:02 AM

1,087 posts, read 781,729 times
I think the original poster is trying to say $100k earning now does not mean much today. Yes, numbers of that kind are all relative to cost of living. Now imagine trade war gone bad that affects household essentials, then the situation would be a lot worse. Per capita GDP is still high, but things are a lot fragile, or at least ending the trade war and not escalating it.

Old 04-11-2019, 08:17 AM

12,022 posts, read 11,564,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6oo9 View Post
I think the original poster is trying to say $100k earning now does not mean much today. Yes, numbers of that kind are all relative to cost of living. Now imagine trade war gone bad that affects household essentials, then the situation would be a lot worse. Per capita GDP is still high, but things are a lot fragile, or at least ending the trade war and not escalating it.
Age is also a consideration. He is not carrying over equity from a previous residence. Two incomes are required to buy homes unless there are cheap condos in your areas of interest. You're likely paying close to 1 million dollars for homes out to 30-50 miles from San Jose.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics