U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM

18,052 posts, read 6,926,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by c charlie View Post
Interesting thread, not at all surprising in such a large company. Will save them millions in the long term (they hope)

We don't have Walmart in Oz, so I don't know anything about how they treat employees.

Some time ago, I heard, or read that ' some American companies' had removed the automated check-out machines, due to the increase in theft.

My local supermarket and Kmart use them. I hate 'em because They're so impersonal and because they cost jobs. Not very good jobs, but jobs nevertheless for unskilled workers, the most vulnerable in the work force.

I was a member of trade union all of my working life. I can't help but wonder if workers at places such as McDonald's,Walmart and Amazon would be treated better with strong trade unions

Today in Oz, trade unions are a shadow of their former selves. A good thing in areas such as Painters And Dockers (Waterfront),and the building industry, because those unions were notoriously corrupt. Not so sure about hospitality and shop workers.

The casualisation, and the zero hour contract in some industries here has been catastrophic for many unskilled workers.
What is a zero hour contract?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:09 PM

5,995 posts, read 2,118,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
What is a zero hour contract?
A contradiction in terms. Employers guarantee no hours, and employees have a right to refuse them.

It's the 21st century of men gathering at factory gates, hoping to be chosen for that day's work. Which they could of course refuse.

Old Today, 01:54 AM

5,957 posts, read 1,661,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsker 1856 View Post
Yet you attribute this immediate snapshot in history as not part of that overarching of ... well, of the entire Western world from the Industrial Revolution onward, but a sudden reaction to current policies.
Not really, companies worldwide have been installing robots and machines due to minimal wage hikes for a while now. $15 an hour wage hikes just provided an added incentive to speed up the process.

Old Today, 02:45 AM

18,052 posts, read 6,926,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocko20 View Post
Not really, companies worldwide have been installing robots and machines due to minimal wage hikes for a while now. $15 an hour wage hikes just provided an added incentive to speed up the process.

Most efficient staff they ever had.

Old Today, 03:40 AM

5,957 posts, read 1,661,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Most efficient staff they ever had.
Yup, don't have to worry about quitting, vacation days, calling in sick, or minimal wage hikes.

Old Today, 06:08 AM

1,139 posts, read 1,538,762 times
Quote:
Yup, don't have to worry about quitting, vacation days, calling in sick, or minimal wage hikes.
And you can treat the robots like dogs like many of these low wage places do with their clueless owners and managers. However, if they maintain these robots like they did their human employees, soon they will have the same results (breakdowns and errors).
Who are they going to blame then?????

Old Today, 06:14 AM

4,061 posts, read 4,493,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Where is your data on the ATM or surveillance cameras?

Tens of thousands of bank users like myself rarely step into a bank branch anymore and make contact with a live person. It's all automated now. ATM's, online banking, apps on your phone.

Let's say if that automation never occurred. Banks would have to hire thousands of more tellers and build hundreds of more branches. They would have to hire thousands of people to answer phone calls about their accounts which can now be checked by using an app.

So one could say that due to automation, less people are working now at banks.

As for Walmart, I don't believe it is political. The corporation sees a way to automate and save money on menial tasks and make their existing workforce more productive (more money for Walmart). I don't see a reason to layoff workers for this current automation, but I do see them hiring less workers over time.
I'm not sure what it's like where you live, but despite the advances in banking apps and ATMs, they continue to build more and more banks here. And like you, I haven't stepped inside a bank in a long time. I rarely need an ATM anymore. But someone must because they keep building more.

Old Today, 07:39 AM

19,289 posts, read 10,715,652 times
Quote:
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/walma...040100670.html

Welp, looks like companies rather have robots do jobs than give into $15 minimal wage hikes, as predicted.
That was going to happen anyway. They didn't just think of inventing robots last year to begin deploying them now.

Old Today, 10:25 AM

4,016 posts, read 7,599,671 times
I am so glad some people can be so gleeful at the sufferings of their fellow Americans.

Old Today, 11:50 AM

602 posts, read 563,991 times
Automation is here regardless of what people think about $15/hr minimum wage. Its just a useful scapegoat and deservedly so. Too many people don't pull their weight at $7.35/hr, what makes you think they will if you pay them almost twice as much? It becomes a cost decision at the end of the day.

Its not just your local Wal Mart or Target deploying robots, its in almost every industry now. My industry is shifting as AI is replacing a lot of operations staff.

Robots don't call in or make demands that humans do. They don't care about commute, child care costs, and other work-life balance issues. There is a cost to all these issues, and automation will mitigate a lot of this.

I predict even the personal shoppers Wal-Mart and other retailers will be replaced soon when robots can pick out the shoppers order faster and for less.

The downside is a lot of people who are unwilling to work hard will be permanently displaced as there will be room for only the best and brightest. Not willing to learn new skills or adapt is a sure recipe for irrelevance.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or