U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 07:05 PM

5,269 posts, read 6,370,876 times

Advertisements

B.S. in Mathematics
M.S. in Computer Science
Successful careers as an analyst and a CEO.
Previous positions served on FED in KC.
Presidential candidate.
Talk show conservative.

So I don't get why the problem with him being on the FED board. Why they call him unqualified?

Am really seeking an informed answer from you economics folks. maybe you have a better grasp than other forums. I am serious here. What are the qualifications? and why does he not meet them?

thanks,

Last edited by theoldnorthstate; 04-11-2019 at 07:37 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:53 AM

3,487 posts, read 2,963,322 times
He has consistently shown his lack of understanding of things economic on his daily radio show. Some of his ideas are really kooky and he has a hard time expressing his ideas coherently. The point is moot however as he has withdrawn his name from consideration.

Old Yesterday, 05:55 AM

5,652 posts, read 2,711,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
B.S. in Mathematics
M.S. in Computer Science
Presidential candidate.
Talk show conservative.
There are two sides at play here. He's getting appointed by Trump as a reward for his loyalty and support, which (unfortunately) is fine it happens all the time in politics. On the other side there is an implied morality threshold that is being used to deny him the position, also something common in politics and in other professional pursuits like being a member of state bar.

I think (not sure on all) most members of fed board have academic credentials more aligned with economics than hard sciences like math. I have no idea why you think "presidential candidate" or "talk show conservative" make him qualified.

Old Yesterday, 06:55 AM

5,269 posts, read 6,370,876 times
^^^

those added were not to make him appear more qualified but to be accurate (as far as I know his resume) in order to be complete in my question.

I don't know much about him but am willing to learn from those who know more about economics than I.

So far it seems, "that's politics" is the real answer. Unless he is willing to fight to show why he is qualified and that he understands the FED, economics, etc then he may as well pull his nomination.

but thanks for the responses.

Old Yesterday, 08:49 AM

7,540 posts, read 15,824,202 times
One of my old college professors spent time on the Fed after I graduated. He had a PhD in economics from Yale, previous time as a Fed underling, and taught at the university level for 20 years. Shortly before his death, he published a book on the coming subprime mortgage crisis at a time when everyone else was in 'real estate always goes up mode'

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Gramlich

He was a guy who spent his entire adult life trying to figure out how to make the US economy and financial systems work better, and that's the kind of person we want on the Fed board, not a CEO with very limited experience in that realm.

Old Yesterday, 09:06 AM

3,487 posts, read 2,963,322 times
Remember Herman's 9-9-9 tax plan when he ran for President? 9% income tax, 9% corporate tax and 9% sales tax. That should give you some insight into his economic genius.

He said he wanted his Secret Service code name to be Cornbread. Really.

How about this classic interview with Herman.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WW_nDFKAmCo

Old Yesterday, 09:31 AM

1,173 posts, read 245,772 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theoldnorthstate View Post
B.S. in Mathematics
M.S. in Computer Science
Presidential candidate.
Talk show conservative.

So I don't get why the problem with him being on the FED board. Why they call him unqualified?

Am really seeking an informed answer from you economics folks. maybe you have a better grasp than other forums. I am serious here. What are the qualifications? and why does he not meet them?

thanks,
Don't forget Cain was Chairman of the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City Omaha Branch from 1989 to 1991.

Old Yesterday, 12:19 PM

6,020 posts, read 2,125,687 times
The primary problem here is anyone - Joe Citz or D. Trump - thinking that CEO experience is ideal for a critical regulatory position. If nothing else, the last 3 years have amply demonstrated that "run government like a business" is a stupid, self-serving and nonsensical idea.

Putting a biz guy in charge of the one agency that might be the most... critically controlling of business in general is so far beyond fox in the henhouse - or most other Trump appointees - that it's appalling. But we ran out of appal a long time ago.

Old Yesterday, 12:47 PM

7,665 posts, read 7,075,392 times
He probably won't get in since he's not a banker or economist. He served on the KC Fed to represent a segment of the business community. Placing him on the board of governors eliminates any pretense that the regulators are independent of influence.

Old Yesterday, 08:48 PM
Status: "5 breweries within 6 blocks of my house" (set 12 days ago)

13,797 posts, read 19,800,301 times
He believes in the gold standard.
Want to crater the economy? Go back to gold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or