U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 04:19 PM

1,852 posts, read 490,718 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Just for kicks I looked up the current rental price of my old apartment, 15 years ago in Naples, Fl.
In 03' I paid $680, same place in 2019 is $1,320.
Considering wages haven't doubled, it's of little wonder why our younger generation is remaining home.
That is insane. Naples FL to my knowledge has 0 jobs. The nerve....

Then again, supply and demand I guess there are plenty of well off retirees to fill the gap...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM

259 posts, read 75,689 times
Compare wages to housing costs. That's the #1 reason. The two started growing further apart on the graph decades ago, and now the gap is very wide. The older more established people don't feel that pressure as much, and like to point fingers at the younger generation. Don't forget who's paying your social security money, because we probably won't see any of it when we retire.

Old Yesterday, 08:01 PM

9,900 posts, read 11,899,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
The fed is raising rates all while ignoring clear signs WE ARE NOT HOME FREE....But we are actually HOME BOUND AND UNABLE TO MOVE FREELY....
Rates are still HISTORICALLY LOW! My first mortgage in 1996 was 8%. My parents talked of 12% loans in the early 80's.

Here is a history:
Mortgage Rates History

Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM

9,900 posts, read 11,899,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhorse78 View Post
Are you joking? Where is your hard proof that those companies are still dominated by white workers? The tech industries are dominated by Indians and Eastern Asians. Uber, I have seen mostly Hispanics, Indians, Arabs and Blacks driving. Disney has fired all of their American workers that are not "performers", (most of these people are white) and replaced them with cheaper H1-Visa holders, and the majority of them are Hispanic. I live in Florida, where the grocery store chain, Publix, is quietly firing all of their white American workers and hiring immigrant workers in their place (mostly Haitians) Hell, on my local news station, I haven't seen one new white male reporter or weather person being hired, mostly it's been women in skimpy clothing, or non white males. The white men who are still on the air were hired before diversity became a thing. Heck, I haven't seen any new white males on the school boards in Florida or in teaching positions. But yet, I bet you it's mostly white males who are footing the bills for these public schools.
NBA is dominated by African Americans but you don't see a bunch of 5'7 white guys picketing!

Publix firing white guys? Got a link for that?

White male teachers have always been a minority. My mom taught in a Catholic school for 30 years, can't remember a single male teacher (even gym).

Old Yesterday, 08:20 PM

5,232 posts, read 3,770,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
This is one of the most ridiculous things I've heard of.

I'm 32. The only way I was able to reach the middle class was by moving, twice, to other states and grabbing more skills along the way, before I moved back to my home state. Had I stayed here, I'd be the low end labor pool, despite having a fairly solid degree and in-field internships.
In other words, you were like many, many other people throughout history. (My great-grandparents had to move 4,000 miles to "get a good job".......... And they never went back.

Old Yesterday, 08:23 PM

5,232 posts, read 3,770,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Just for kicks I looked up the current rental price of my old apartment, 15 years ago in Naples, Fl.
In 03' I paid $680, same place in 2019 is $1,320.
Considering wages haven't doubled, it's of little wonder why our younger generation is remaining home.
lol.......Naples has become one of the places where the "Beautiful People" live. Of COURSE rents are way up there. There are 100 other cities in Florida with cheaper rent. And 10,000 in America...........

Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM

1,129 posts, read 985,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by City Guy997S View Post
NBA is dominated by African Americans but you don't see a bunch of 5'7 white guys picketing!

Publix firing white guys? Got a link for that?

White male teachers have always been a minority. My mom taught in a Catholic school for 30 years, can't remember a single male teacher (even gym).
I don't remember any male teachers. The only male staff members I remember was the principal and the custodian.

Old Today, 06:24 AM

3,676 posts, read 2,611,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BJW50 View Post
I don't remember any male teachers. The only male staff members I remember was the principal and the custodian.
This is amazing to me, I had male teachers, my kids had male teachers, my grandkids have male teachers now, many of my guy friends are teachers. Many also are coaches.

Old Today, 06:30 AM

1,119 posts, read 551,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
lol.......Naples has become one of the places where the "Beautiful People" live. Of COURSE rents are way up there. There are 100 other cities in Florida with cheaper rent. And 10,000 in America...........

Well of course there are, if places like Clewiston appeal to you.
But in Ft. Myers, another one I rented is up 80%.
Same story here in Illinois.

Old Today, 06:34 AM

22,711 posts, read 16,813,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
In other words, you were like many, many other people throughout history. (My great-grandparents had to move 4,000 miles to "get a good job".......... And they never went back.
I'm not saying that it's right or wrong.

What I am saying is that, even my neck of the woods of Appalachia, it was fairly easy for a man until the 1980s or so to obtain a job that was working to middle class, without much in the way of skills or education beyond high school and OTJ.

Today, employers want people pre-trained and want them to work for next to nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics