U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 10:00 PM

16,779 posts, read 3,710,924 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc1538 View Post
Hang in there man.

Something that fits your needs may come your way eventually. From your post I've seen, you seem to be pretty well grounded, and you don't have the 'woe is me' attitude toward life. You probably would be better served getting out of your town though, unless your health issue is part of the reason you've stayed around. I'm just saying this based on previous post I've seen of yours around city-data.
Thanks dc1538.I really appreciate it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2019, 10:25 PM

223 posts, read 25,305 times
Fascinating, especially how some one managed to make it about race. I'd really like to see stats backing up the claim about white males and jobs. But of course, that's the US, where according to some posters , EVERYTHING is about race

Adult children staying with parents longer is also a trend here in Oz. I suspect it can be because they know when they're on a good thing; a lot cheaper than renting . Perhaps also due to the price of housing. My city is one of the cheaper mainland cities. The median price for a new house is $415k .Even if prepared to live in a cheaper area, a house will still be around $380. That's about the average in my so-called 'dormitory suburb.

How much will a single bloke have saved? $50k? $100k? He's still going to be looking at FROM $250k to closer to $400 for a mortgage . How will he/she service that mortgage?

It is the norm here at the moment for first home buyers to have a large mortgage, and wait a few years for capital gains, and then trading up. The goal is not to pay off a house, but to gain equity.

I bought my first house in 1976, age 29. (I had been living in shared houses, and flats since 1971.) The mortgage was from a building society . 10% deposit. It was they who decided how much I could borrow. The amount was based on repayments not exceeding 25% of my pre tax income. --This was only the first or second year lending institutions would even give single men a mortgage.

WhenI left home in 1971, my father was deeply hurt. I was expected to live at home until I was married.--that was at age 31.. What goes 'round--------

Old 04-13-2019, 10:35 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
21,900 posts, read 39,085,367 times
Quote:
I'm a black male in my early 30's. I actually don't disagree with much of what you said ...
On the flip side, culturally, American Black people have a tendency to kick their kids out the house to soon, but they typical don't have the same wealth and safety nets to land on as their white counterparts. From my observations it seems that white kids get 'assistance' from their parents well into adulthood even if they are on their own. All of this is a whole different topic as far as the OP in concerned and could be its own thread in another forum of the site.

Also, with the rising cost of living, is it really bad for men to stay at home longer, if they are using it to springboard their life, such as buying a home, saving for rainy days, retirement and/or kids. Women don't get the same stigma for staying at home.
Actually, I know more males staying home longer than females (I find females more supported by parent and privileged jobs. (just my observation). But stuff like 1/4 the auto insurance rates make it easier for females to set out on their own + Males are somewhat expected to be sustainably independent. (forever once gone from home). easier for females to migrate back. (for various reasons.)

I found it very helpful to equip my male kids for independence early (age 12-14). They covered all their expenses by age 16 (including cars / fuel and insurance), by age 17 - 18, they were GONE (for good). +/-
They were prepared and covered their own expenses, including housing and college. Working multiple jobs, as I always have done. (not that that is much fun... but has been necessary)

Not perfect, but they WERE prepared well in advance and I appreciate they were able to rise to the challenge. Males really need aspirational challenges a bit beyond reach. I purposed to keep their hands and minds busy as soon as they were capable. They never had time to back slide into rebellion. (so far so good (ages 34 and 36)). I feel volunteer working with homeless, rehab males during their youth left quite an impression of where life (friends / circumstances) can take them the wrong way.

I lament that during the 2007 - 2008 meltdown, George Bush did not re-institute a similar program to CCC / purposed vocation training and tangible contribution to the nation. I really think we are doing a disservice to males (and willing females) and our country by not tangibly engaging creative minds and resourceful labor to substantial purpose, while allowing the wisdom and skillset of the elder generations evaporate. Many countries strategically direct their youth / edu / military / vocational and community service. We (USA) are too free (?) to do that. (Consequentially causing a (co-) 'dependent' generation.)

Old Yesterday, 04:16 AM

13,132 posts, read 6,908,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
There is a cultural war being waged against men (especially straight white men) in our society. If you are a young straight white male you will find it exceedingly difficult to get gainfully employed in the foreseeable future. Lots of quotas and agendas out there that will pass you over. Keep in mind a lot of the crazed SJW authoritarian types are in charge of hiring and hiring decisions. Most of these individual despise masculine straight males.
Itís a war against people who got Cís in High School.

There is an enormous economic penalty for not having 21st century job skills. The vast majority of that group living at home spent their youth underachieving in school.

Old Yesterday, 04:54 AM

3,377 posts, read 5,052,417 times
Quote:
You probably won't find a concrete percentage but many jobs on the lower rung, require you to have an 'open' schedule nowadays and change your shift weekly. So while not explicitly telling you, you can't have a second job, they make it difficult in practice. If you don't like it, they'll find someone who will.
Yes, this is a problem with many jobs today. Even many minimum wage jobs requires workers to be available for any shift during the hours they are open. I noticed that many employers started this practice after the 2008 recession as a work around plan to the ACA. Many employers gave workers a max of 29 hours per week to avoid having to provide benefits.

We thought it was important for our teens to have a part-time job while in high school to get a total education yet the options were very limited. Many employers would not hire them for limited hours after school and on weekends despite needing workers.

The part-time problem is a problem at all ages. I have been looking for a part-time position in the mornings that works with my other work which is primarily afternoons and weekends. I checked in to working at local hotels and am looking for an early shift 5 am to 1 pm or 6 am to 2 pm, during the week. Many of the hotels cannot find people to work yet will not hire you, even part-time unless you are available for any shift.

Old Yesterday, 04:59 AM

1,820 posts, read 487,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffD View Post
Itís a war against people who got Cís in High School.

There is an enormous economic penalty for not having 21st century job skills. The vast majority of that group living at home spent their youth underachieving in school.
Right but it's not just them.

Something is wrong with the system when you have 4.0 STEM grads having to charge fields because they struggled to find work. At least 3-4 out of
10 in my field majored Finance, Applied Math/Statistics, Engineering etc.

If things were so great and opportunity was so abundant in these so called "in demand" fields that number would be closer to 1 out of 10.

Old Yesterday, 05:52 AM

3,587 posts, read 1,505,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post

Something is wrong with the system when you have 4.0 STEM grads having to charge fields because they struggled to find work. At least 3-4 out of

If things were so great and opportunity was so abundant in these so called "in demand" fields that number would be closer to 1 out of 10.
Are they looking where the jobs are or where they live now? The reality is that even if you have an in-demand skill, it might not be where you are now. Most of the people I know with in-demand skills ended up having to move (pretty far) to use those skills effectively. Plus, it is not just about having the best grades in school, it is also about marketing yourself in the resume and job interview. If people simply canít market themselves in an interview/skills test, that is something they need to work on.

Old Yesterday, 07:05 AM

18,422 posts, read 13,170,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nirvana07 View Post
Most professional jobs need you to take permission from the company before you can work anywhere else.
The reason stated in the job offer documents is generally "to avoid conflict of interest".
Thatís not what was being stated or what I asked.

Old Yesterday, 07:33 AM

22,683 posts, read 16,803,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamenAddict View Post
Are they looking where the jobs are or where they live now? The reality is that even if you have an in-demand skill, it might not be where you are now. Most of the people I know with in-demand skills ended up having to move (pretty far) to use those skills effectively. Plus, it is not just about having the best grades in school, it is also about marketing yourself in the resume and job interview. If people simply canít market themselves in an interview/skills test, that is something they need to work on.
Most of my friends were CS grads here in east TN. Very few got good jobs out of college without having to move first. Most of those who have moved never came back. All the IT departments of the big companies here are full of older workers.

Old Yesterday, 07:40 AM

22,683 posts, read 16,803,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post

So much of this is location dependent. Opportunities are hard to come by in my part of TN. Places like Nashville and Raleigh are different math.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics