U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 09:15 AM
 
18,422 posts, read 13,170,477 times
Reputation: 13773

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Right but it's not just them.

Something is wrong with the system when you have 4.0 STEM grads having to charge fields because they struggled to find work. At least 3-4 out of
10 in my field majored Finance, Applied Math/Statistics, Engineering etc.

If things were so great and opportunity was so abundant in these so called "in demand" fields that number would be closer to 1 out of 10.
You can’t get a stem degree and then get a job anywhere you want. You do need to be where the jobs are. If folks with 4.0 Stem degrees can’t find jobs they need to move and/or brush up their interview skills
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old Yesterday, 09:30 AM
 
7,679 posts, read 7,080,996 times
Reputation: 5954
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
Right but it's not just them.

Something is wrong with the system when you have 4.0 STEM grads having to charge fields because they struggled to find work. At least 3-4 out of
10 in my field majored Finance, Applied Math/Statistics, Engineering etc.

If things were so great and opportunity was so abundant in these so called "in demand" fields that number would be closer to 1 out of 10.
It depends to a large extent on the university where one receives his diploma. Some bachelor degrees in science, such as chemistry and mathematics, lead to low pay technician or research assistant jobs, and continuing education towards a Master's and a PhD is required to get into full-time research and teaching jobs. If you graduated in math, you may need to find work in computer science or information technology while continuing your education in those fields.

There is also massive grade inflation when the average freshman is getting into college with a high school GPA of 4.0 at many schools.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:19 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia/South Jersey area
2,727 posts, read 1,302,662 times
Reputation: 9475
You mean the US is on the brink AGAIN!!
That's the 3rd time this year.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 10:23 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia/South Jersey area
2,727 posts, read 1,302,662 times
Reputation: 9475
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
It depends to a large extent on the university where one receives his diploma. Some bachelor degrees in science, such as chemistry and mathematics, lead to low pay technician or research assistant jobs, and continuing education towards a Master's and a PhD is required to get into full-time research and teaching jobs. If you graduated in math, you may need to find work in computer science or information technology while continuing your education in those fields.

There is also massive grade inflation when the average freshman is getting into college with a high school GPA of 4.0 at many schools.
Wait, why are technician jobs " low " paying?? I work for a large chemical company out of Delaware, our lab technicians start at 66k, 401k with dollar for dollar match up to the first 6%, vacay and sick time. Most of the techs I know are hovering around 70-75k??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:17 PM
 
140 posts, read 82,544 times
Reputation: 280
Wow, well reading through threads like this bring on an instant sense of depression and show me how easy it is for 2 people to live in alternate realities because of corrupt search engines. Im 31, live at home, I make about 36k a year as a chemistry teacher in the deep south. My 20s was very different and I didnt live at home for most of it, it consisted of the pursuit of higher education, failing, picking myself up again and going forward. I will have about 20k saved after this year and 40k saved after next year, that is 40k saved after 2 years of working a very low paying job as a teacher because I live with my parents. I can tolerate them if it allows me to save 40k and move on to the next phase of my life. Interestingly most women my age I know aren't doing any better financially, but choose to spend all their money on fancy apartments and other overpriced crap, most of them are living paycheck to paycheck and have Zero savings in the bank, you know why? Because broke young women can still find partners if they are relatively attractive, no need to sacrifice( live with parents) ,save, or be financially responsible. Young women know this and a lot of them cling to the notion that prince charming with the 6 figure salary is gonna swoop in eventually and save them from financial ruin before they get 35. That's not happening and thus egg freezing is becoming a common thing. The whole " Millennials are soft" crap is so overblown, people my age faced the worst job market since the great depression, and what the **** is a participation trophy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 12:26 PM
 
7,679 posts, read 7,080,996 times
Reputation: 5954
Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
Wait, why are technician jobs " low " paying?? I work for a large chemical company out of Delaware, our lab technicians start at 66k, 401k with dollar for dollar match up to the first 6%, vacay and sick time. Most of the techs I know are hovering around 70-75k??
There are a lot of techs making around 40-50K to start. The average at Dupont is 45K.

https://www.indeed.com/salaries/Labo...ries-at-Dupont
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:04 PM
 
13,138 posts, read 6,908,151 times
Reputation: 24187
Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
It depends to a large extent on the university where one receives his diploma. Some bachelor degrees in science, such as chemistry and mathematics, lead to low pay technician or research assistant jobs, and continuing education towards a Master's and a PhD is required to get into full-time research and teaching jobs. If you graduated in math, you may need to find work in computer science or information technology while continuing your education in those fields.

There is also massive grade inflation when the average freshman is getting into college with a high school GPA of 4.0 at many schools.
This was the point I was going to make. A STEM degree from a 3rd tier state school with a lousy GPA isnít going to open many doors. When Iíve done campus recruiting at schools like that, maybe 10% of the candidates were worth bringing in for an interview. I was at metro Boston tech startups where we had no shot at top grads from the top schools. We had to kiss a lot of frogs looking for the occasional strong candidate. There seems to be a sense of entitlement that some random college degree means corner office and big salary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Prepperland
13,601 posts, read 9,660,392 times
Reputation: 9578
The instant that socialism is abolished and the glorious collective state reduces back to its original delegation of power, there will be a HUGE labor shortage that will not end for decades.
WHY?
All those expatriate companies will rush back to the USA when there are ZERO taxes on labor and industry (and zero administrative costs). Without socialism, there's no benefit to hiring under the table.
No matter how cheap foreign labor is, tax exempt labor is an even greater draw... especially when you save on transportation costs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Caribou, Me.
5,198 posts, read 3,767,162 times
Reputation: 3657
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lowexpectations View Post
Jotucker is that you?


I’m thinking this may be a bit over an overreaction on your part on the efforts of business trying to improve diversity
Businesses USED to be about making money. Now it's all-SJW, all the time. (And this was set in motion 100 years ago, by the Marxists in Russia and Germany......they knew they would have to "rot America from within" if they were going to prevail. They've been very successful at this.)

There will be no "revolt"----90% of these sad-sack younger males are just pure sheeple now. This is such a huge cultural change. The last couple of generations are completely stupefied.....their brainwashing happened young and it stuck. They are sheep. They will meekly accept whatever happens in America and they will continue to "pray daily" to the Super State......hoping that It will somehow save them from their meager existence.

Kind of sad, really.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:21 PM
 
18,422 posts, read 13,170,477 times
Reputation: 13773
Quote:
Originally Posted by maineguy8888 View Post
Businesses USED to be about making money. Now it's all-SJW, all the time. (And this was set in motion 100 years ago, by the Marxists in Russia and Germany......they knew they would have to "rot America from within" if they were going to prevail. They've been very successful at this.)

There will be no "revolt"----90% of these sad-sack younger males are just pure sheeple now. This is such a huge cultural change. The last couple of generations are completely stupefied.....their brainwashing happened young and it stuck. They are sheep. They will meekly accept whatever happens in America and they will continue to "pray daily" to the Super State......hoping that It will somehow save them from their meager existence.

Kind of sad, really.

This just sounds largely like sensationalized bs. This is nothing but a bunch of your opinions strung together
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top