U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2019, 10:46 AM

2,581 posts, read 3,959,825 times

Advertisements

Quote:
If my parents had waited until they thought they were financially stable enough to support kids, I and my siblings wouldn't be here.

I agree, but that argument is a bit extreme. I think there's a HUGE difference between a young married couple who own a home and are several years down a career path and decide to start a family and the singles who lives at home with their parents, low level or no job, no money and no prospects and think it's perfectly ok to be pregnant. Let's face it, things are hard enough today when you ARE doing it right, never mind when you're completely unprepared for the rigors (and expenses) or parenthood and are continually shooting yourself in the foot financially with poor decision making, right? The problem is that a way too large a part of today's population doesn't seem to know the difference.

"Freedom makes a huge requirement of every human being. With freedom comes responsibility. For the person who is unwilling to grow up, the person who does not want to carry his own weight, this is a frightening prospect."

- Eleanor Roosevelt
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2019, 01:05 PM

1,486 posts, read 687,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tencent View Post
https://www.esquire.com/news-politic...big-banks-pay/

However, there is one issue people refuse to address in this country. Why did the Woman have a child to begin with without ALREADY having adequate income?
Birth control failed, kid's father died, kid's father is in prison, etc. There are any number of reasons why woman become single mothers. Sex is the third strongest natural drive after sleeping and eating. People will have sex, whether you think they should or not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
Having children and reproduction should not be a “right”. It should be something that we limit and put high thresholds for. People say how difficult it is to get into a military academy or how tireless the process is for buying a home. Well wanting to have a child should be 10X as difficult as either of those.

There should be a credit check, income verification, drug testing, psychological profiling, dna/genetic testing, iQ score, physical fitness exam, and a general health screening.

If we require tons of permits and inspections to build a home we should do the same for reproduction. We also should limit reproduction to 20% of current rates to control and limit populations. We need less people than we currently have but better people.
Try enforcing that one on most of the population, and you will end in the hospital or dead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
We must be better.. all of our problems are a function of too large a population. Just imagine a world with a population 5% of what it is today. It could be a paradise with tons of land resources and space to go around for everyone. We have developed so much technology and innovation we simply don’t need manual labor anymore. We could run 1 copper mine with 500 people to supply the global demand for that entire resource.
Are you willing to remove yourself from the population to get the world closer to that 5% number?

Old 04-15-2019, 12:31 PM

1,866 posts, read 504,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRM20 View Post
Birth control failed, kid's father died, kid's father is in prison, etc. There are any number of reasons why woman become single mothers. Sex is the third strongest natural drive after sleeping and eating. People will have sex, whether you think they should or not.

Try enforcing that one on most of the population, and you will end in the hospital or dead.

Are you willing to remove yourself from the population to get the world closer to that 5% number?
There is no need to remove anyone already here.

Nobody is saying don't have sex. The issue is inconsistent birth control. I have had sex a lot and I have no children. There have been Women who have been turned off by my responsibility. I quickly stopped dealing with them. There are Men who will also do the same and try to encourage Women to have sex unprotected for the stupidest of reasons. It is her body her choice.

Both sexes have control over fertility and I'm not talking about when the condom breaks. Even then there's plan B.

If EVERYONE used a condom EVERY time and used PLAN B every time an accident happened then the single mother rate would be 4-5% not 40% in this country. The majority of pregnancies are UNPLANNED between UNMARRIED couples.

Do you have to be married? Not really. But you should be in a committed stable relationship for at least 5 years with savings.

Old 04-15-2019, 06:14 PM

2,619 posts, read 1,837,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I didn't start it.

And I get just a tad bit tired of the smug GotMines here casting everyone who ever stumbles in the same "too stupid to live, too unworthy to get any help" mold. I sincerely, deeply, honestly doubt their superior attitudes would hold up to a strong light.
Just about everyone has "stumbled" at some point in time. It is how you deal with and react to said stumble that will determine your success or failure. I grew up in a lower middle class environment. All my friends had exactly the same opportunities as I. After high school I chose to go to college......they chose to work in the steel mills and make good money. Getting that new, fancy car was at the top of their list. When the mills closed down they were left with nothing. Now that could have moved to greener fields as I did or made an effort to improve their skill set. To a man they all chose to do........nothing. Most haven't work in nearly 40 years and that was THEIR choice! Certainly there are people who have been dealt bad cards but most people make their own luck!

Old 04-16-2019, 06:29 AM

1,414 posts, read 459,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcrazy67 View Post
Certainly there are people who have been dealt bad cards but most people make their own luck!
I agree. Poor health due to things that can't be prevented, addictive body chemistry, an abusive upbringing, trauma such as rape or losing a parent at an early age, lack of inherent abilities needed for today's jobs, a period of extended unemployment....these are beyond our control and can make it harder to get anywhere in life.

Then there are the decisions we make. When you have your first kid. How many you have. (My niece had one at age 19 with a drug-addicted Baby Daddy but with strong support from family, is now an interventional radiology tech married to an architect. It helped that she realized after the first kid that it probably wasn't a good idea to pop out another one- and didn't, till she married.) What we study in college, if we go. What we decide to do for a living.
How seriously we study. How much of your money you spend.

I started with a lot- I know it. My parents paid for my college education and I was blessed with excellent health. I took it from there.

Old Today, 11:45 AM

238 posts, read 85,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
WHY is only one parent (and the taxpayers) responsible for supporting the kids? Where is the guy (or where are the guys) who contributed the other half of the kids' chromosomes? Do they know their kids are being raised in poverty? Do they contribute to the support? Name 'em and shame 'em.

Agree 100%. A single mom making minimum wage with a child should be receiving a portion of the father's paycheck (broadly assuming the Dad didn't die, go on full disability, ...). If the Dad doesn't work, shirks his responsibility, or disappears, well, bad decision on the part of the mother. With cheap, effective birth control there's no excuse for an "accidental" pregnancy (aside from BCP failure, a tiny percent I am guessing).

Find another single mom that bartends or does other evening work, watch each other's kids, and save the cost of child care.

Old Today, 12:04 PM

69,496 posts, read 70,060,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADogNamedSam View Post
Agree 100%. A single mom making minimum wage with a child should be receiving a portion of the father's paycheck (broadly assuming the Dad didn't die, go on full disability, ...). If the Dad doesn't work, shirks his responsibility, or disappears, well, bad decision on the part of the mother. With cheap, effective birth control there's no excuse for an "accidental" pregnancy (aside from BCP failure, a tiny percent I am guessing).

Find another single mom that bartends or does other evening work, watch each other's kids, and save the cost of child care.
All good points
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or