U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-12-2019, 05:33 PM
 
1,818 posts, read 485,148 times
Reputation: 2541

Advertisements

https://www.esquire.com/news-politic...big-banks-pay/

Katie Porter does bring up good points so far. The reality is there is no way for a single mother to be financially solvent on minimum wage with child. It is interesting though that those who talk about flyover states being more reasonable I think she mentioned the scenario is in the Midwest. And $16/hr still isn't enough even on a bare bones budget and no luxuries.

However, there is one issue people refuse to address in this country. Why did the Woman have a child to begin with without ALREADY having adequate income?

The 2008 recession hit HIGHER income families hard, those who were dually making $200k+. And there shouldn't be the expectation that these folks not have children.

But if you have zero savings, are just starting out with no support system and can only get minimum wage jobs, then no you should not be having kids! But we're too afraid to say that here in the U.S. because the Pro-Baby crowd will
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-12-2019, 05:36 PM
 
69,257 posts, read 69,867,145 times
Reputation: 46860
You canít fix poor choices and bad decisions once they get beyond a certain level ,,, the person ends up committing financial suicide
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2019, 05:42 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
6,035 posts, read 2,141,204 times
Reputation: 9419
You also can't fix problems that arise after the fact. A lot of people make perfectly wise, sensible decisions that then drag them down after job loss, long-term illness, disability etc.

But we all know that only stupid, unworthy people ever have financial problems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2019, 05:52 PM
 
459 posts, read 76,415 times
Reputation: 764
People make poor life decisions and always want to blame someone else instead of bucking up and taking personal responsibility. The perpetual victim mentality will get you nowhere in the real-world because the real-world simply doesn't care. The victim mentality is perfectly suited for the higher education system and identity politics. That's why it flourishes in these spaces.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2019, 05:59 PM
 
69,257 posts, read 69,867,145 times
Reputation: 46860
Bad decisions and poor choices are like weight loss .. the population is more obese then ever before ... most will tell you that can’t lose weight .. the reality is they just need to eat less and move more ... very few actually have physical reasons that leave them in the situation they are ... the damage for most is self inflicted over time , but they will never see it that way..

Most if not all of us go through either divorce ,illness or job loss .. but We all emerge differently and for many who don’t it is not the event but an accumulation of choices and decisions leading up to the event
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2019, 06:09 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
6,035 posts, read 2,141,204 times
Reputation: 9419
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Bad decisions and poor choices are like weight loss .. the population is more obese then ever before ... most will tell you that can’t lose weight .. the reality is they just need to eat less and move more ... very few actually have physical reasons that leave them in the situation they are ... the damage for most is self inflicted over time , but they will never see it that way..

Most if not all of us go through either divorce ,illness or job loss .. but We all emerge differently and for many who don’t it is not the event but an accumulation of choices and decisions leading up to the event
Yes, yes, it's easy to blame it all on stupidity and poor choices, which of course you (all) have never made. So everyone young and finding their place should postpone all life decisions except survival until... absolutely nothing can possibly set them back. Around 40 or so, if they're lucky. (And if they're not, it's just their fault, right?)

Got it. It does provide a nice, steady, malleable labor pool for those of you who succeeded entirely on your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2019, 06:33 PM
 
2,518 posts, read 1,617,368 times
Reputation: 5449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Yes, yes, it's easy to blame it all on stupidity and poor choices, which of course you (all) have never made. So everyone young and finding their place should postpone all life decisions except survival until... absolutely nothing can possibly set them back. Around 40 or so, if they're lucky. (And if they're not, it's just their fault, right?)

Got it. It does provide a nice, steady, malleable labor pool for those of you who succeeded entirely on your own.
Arguing in extremes again are we?

Maybe people encounter all kinds of mistakes and failures and still succeed eventually. Success in life is just like a stock market. If you make good decisions, in general the trend is upward overtime. That doesn’t mean it’s a straight line up. There are corrections. There can be outright depressing crashes. Anyone can get a bad hand that ruins their life. No one denies that. But for the VAST majority of people with a plan and positive trajectory things work out just fine. And when they don’t, they pick up and keep moving.

But sure, let’s sit around and put on a pitty party while the world moves on. My heart bleeds for your extreme examples. Yep, rice and beans until age 40.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2019, 06:39 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
6,035 posts, read 2,141,204 times
Reputation: 9419
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Arguing in extremes again are we?
I didn't start it.

And I get just a tad bit tired of the smug GotMines here casting everyone who ever stumbles in the same "too stupid to live, too unworthy to get any help" mold. I sincerely, deeply, honestly doubt their superior attitudes would hold up to a strong light.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-12-2019, 06:47 PM
 
2,518 posts, read 1,617,368 times
Reputation: 5449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I didn't start it.

And I get just a tad bit tired of the smug GotMines here casting everyone who ever stumbles in the same "too stupid to live, too unworthy to get any help" mold. I sincerely, deeply, honestly doubt their superior attitudes would hold up to a strong light.
Maybe the gotmines had more obstacles than you think. Maybe they’ve been through the mud and know what it took. Maybe they don’t like being told they’re less of a person and insensitive because they don’t feel obligated to solve everyone else’s problrms?

But yeah, let’s listen to this brilliant senator rail against people who make money. Does anyone realistically think this random sob story of a lady has put in the work in life Jamie Dimon has? Why the hell should she expect a similar outcome? If fact, maybe his work has created value for companies that allow people to have good jobs to support their families? It’s his fault she can’t get a better job and make more than $16 an hour? It must be! He’s a monster making 31 million!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old Yesterday, 03:07 AM
 
69,257 posts, read 69,867,145 times
Reputation: 46860
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Maybe the gotmines had more obstacles than you think. Maybe they’ve been through the mud and know what it took. Maybe they don’t like being told they’re less of a person and insensitive because they don’t feel obligated to solve everyone else’s problrms?

But yeah, let’s listen to this brilliant senator rail against people who make money. Does anyone realistically think this random sob story of a lady has put in the work in life Jamie Dimon has? Why the hell should she expect a similar outcome? If fact, maybe his work has created value for companies that allow people to have good jobs to support their families? It’s his fault she can’t get a better job and make more than $16 an hour? It must be! He’s a monster making 31 million!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thatsright19 View Post
Arguing in extremes again are we?

Maybe people encounter all kinds of mistakes and failures and still succeed eventually. Success in life is just like a stock market. If you make good decisions, in general the trend is upward overtime. That doesn’t mean it’s a straight line up. There are corrections. There can be outright depressing crashes. Anyone can get a bad hand that ruins their life. No one denies that. But for the VAST majority of people with a plan and positive trajectory things work out just fine. And when they don’t, they pick up and keep moving.

But sure, let’s sit around and put on a pitty party while the world moves on. My heart bleeds for your extreme examples. Yep, rice and beans until age 40.



quietude loves doing that!!!!! he likes taking situations and molding them to fit his agenda even though he knows exactly how things were meant and did not apply to everyone with no exceptions ....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top