U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 03:07 PM

12,367 posts, read 5,905,033 times

Advertisements

Bernie Sanders is a crook in my book. Never work a day in his life until he’s 39. Permanent agitator. He will me 99% people poor, we will turn into the old So item Union, he’s an admirer of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 03:14 PM

4,115 posts, read 996,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
About 75 million, but the figure is widely misrepresented. It is NOT 44% (or 47%) of all those who work or have income; it is 44% of all Americans. It includes those with no income (about 40%) and many with income too low to incur any tax liability. It includes marginal earners who get tax breaks and credits that eliminate tax liability. And it refers to federal income tax alone - not other payroll taxes and deductions, which are largely not floored or exempted for anyone, not sales taxes, not even state income taxes. NO ONE in the US pays "no taxes," and those who slide under income tax limits take disproportionate hits on the others.

Taxation of savings interest is largely trivial (especially in this long era of trivial interest rates) and has very little to do with the low rate of US savings.
I would like to see your source for this.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Australia, being among the civilized nations, has universal health care; being among the rugged individualist nations, it also has private insurance for those who want it.

It's understandable that someone from the US would be confused about that.
Australia does not have open borders.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pipsters View Post
$80k in income filing single is around $11k in federal tax or 13.8%.
There were so many mistakes in that post, I can't even spend the time to correct them. Thanks.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lekrii View Post
Your daughter paid an effective rate of 25%? that's more than double what someone of that income typically pays.

How did your daughter have an effective tax rate equal to a marginal rate? Your daughter paid 25% on income greater than $70,700 in 2012 (so she paid 25% on $9,300, before any deductions, tax credits, etc. were applied).
That poster doesn't understand the difference between the marginal rate and the effective rate. Too tired to keep explaining this to people.

Old 04-16-2019, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Last night it was pointed out he and his wife only gave a little over 3% of their income to charity. When asked as long as he feels the rich should pay their fair share has he thought about giving more than his 3plus %. he didn't answer. that was the one he said that really bothered me.
We lice on SS and a very small retirement plus a few investments We are hardly in the middle income bracket and between what to pledge to our church and how much we donate money wise to a few charities we almos give as much as he does. Shame on him!!!!!!!!

It's classic Democrat. I am going to raise taxes on the rich and buy votes from everyone else. It only works because of the higher percentages of lower income people. There are so many issues on which Democrats are hypocrites. Want open borders but don't want the illegals in THEIR neighborhoods. Have fences around their fancy estates. But the one that I don't understand why MORE people aren't outraged about is how they grow rich in public service. It's known that Nancy Pelosi traded Visa on inside info and make a fortune. Don't even get me started on the Clintons. I wonder how many Sanders supporters know that she turned $1000 into $100k with ZERO trading experience in cattle futures? THAT was the first Clinton scandal. She's been sticking it to the taxpayers ever since.

Old 04-17-2019, 11:18 PM

1,377 posts, read 305,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
It's classic Democrat. I am going to raise taxes on the rich and buy votes from everyone else. It only works because of the higher percentages of lower income people. There are so many issues on which Democrats are hypocrites. Want open borders but don't want the illegals in THEIR neighborhoods. Have fences around their fancy estates. But the one that I don't understand why MORE people aren't outraged about is how they grow rich in public service. It's known that Nancy Pelosi traded Visa on inside info and make a fortune. Don't even get me started on the Clintons. I wonder how many Sanders supporters know that she turned $1000 into $100k with ZERO trading experience in cattle futures? THAT was the first Clinton scandal. She's been sticking it to the taxpayers ever since.
Someone once said the politics is the art of taking money from the rich and votes from poor while promising to protect each from the other.

Old 04-18-2019, 12:14 AM

12,512 posts, read 8,455,070 times
If you don't know Bernie Sanders then read about his policies. It sounded more like an infomercial than true policies. Sure he promises all the stuff that everybody wants like single payer healthcare, free college education, and higher taxes for the rich.

The truth is that we are far from single payer healthcare today than 10 years ago because back then the cost of healthcare wasn't that high. It was the best time to introduce a single payer system but the Democrats completely botched it by requiring people to buy health insurance instead of the government running the healthcare. Suddenly you are forced to buy and insurance company saw this as a great opportunity to jack up the price.

Free college is another problem. A lot of poor people already go to community college for free in many states but people don't go because they want to make money and many employers don't value a community college degree so it was worthless and many folks went back to school or went on to jobs without obtaining a higher degree.

Then the taxing of the rich is another propaganda. Rich people already pay majority of the taxes, upping their taxes won't improve anything. Taxes have gone up a lot the last decade but the government always figures out how to waste more money such as the Russian collusion investigation.

Old 04-18-2019, 08:38 AM

12,367 posts, read 5,905,033 times
It’s other people money he wants to give away, not his own money. Classic.

Old 04-18-2019, 01:47 PM

2,260 posts, read 1,502,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grlzrl View Post
It's not a crime to write a book and make a lot of money but Bernie the millionaire is a hypocrite.
HE is a total shame and hypocrite. Plus, only gave 3% of his income to charity. Even if you aren't a Romney fan, he gave 29%. And he had an actual job.

Lots of fools falling for Hypocrite Bernie's drivel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or