U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2019, 08:04 AM

17,592 posts, read 9,092,656 times

Advertisements

There are 13.6 million millionnaires is the USA which is more than the next 8 countries combined.....Denmakr has 70 times less millionnaires than the USA....thread killed.

https://www.businessinsider.com/coun...4#17-denmark-2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2019, 08:56 AM

21,908 posts, read 27,678,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
USA is the easiest to become rich. If you can't make it here, you can't make it anywhere.

I agree with this. Because the USA has no barriers to entry beyond anything that a person has control over. if you have the plan and you can get it together, you are free to give it a try.

In wealthy China, you will be blocked if you aren't Chinese and a member of the right social political group.

There is lots of money to be made in South America or Russia, but the groups controlling wealth would be happy to shoot you dead if you try to push into their business.

Denmark is a really lovely country but business has to follow complicated and often unreasonable EU laws. And then your profits go into taxes instead of being able to use them to grow a business. And your customers pay much of their salary in taxes so they don't have disposable funds to spent with your company. Having government paid health care might be a slight benefit when starting a business, but it certainly isn't the end all of requirements to make a business into a success. But yes, Denmark would be a lovely place to live if you can tolerate the weather.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:36 AM

6,878 posts, read 2,004,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
Wow.....we've been listening to informed people recite a series of numbers from different sources. They don't all lead in the same direction, but unlike you, these people actually provide substantiation for their opinion.

This is the problem with debate on this forum. Some people aren't interesting in listening to facts or analyzing data.

They are simply wooden-headed. This poster has probably been told by the people around him all his life that America is "best" in all respects. Therefore, any information he receives to the contrary is simply wrong.

Arguments with some here are simply a waste of time.

Norway is the world's fifth-largest oil exporter, with annual oil revenues of around $40 billion. Only Saudi Arabia exports more oil than Norway. Norway imports more than half its food needs. Norway is ranked 119th in population, 5.2 million people, again, 5th largest oil exporting nation in the world

Ever been there, I have. Numerous times. The utopia described here is baloney, most married couples both work because its so expensive (NOK), milk is nearly $8 a gallon, so is petrol for your car. People in Norway near the border with Sweden cross the border to shop. Cost of living is 48% higher than in the United States. Like sunshine? in some areas it's dark all the time for 6 weeks.

BTW, I retired at 55 with all the wealth I'll need to last me the rest of my life. I'll bet you're in a cubicle somewhere bemoaning why life isn't fair. Grow up kid, your shtick is what's a waste of time.

Old 04-16-2019, 09:52 AM

8,906 posts, read 9,066,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skeddy View Post
Norway is the world's fifth-largest oil exporter, with annual oil revenues of around $40 billion. Only Saudi Arabia exports more oil than Norway. Norway imports more than half its food needs. Norway is ranked 119th in population, 5.2 million people, again, 5th largest oil exporting nation in the world

Ever been there, I have. Numerous times. The utopia described here is baloney, most married couples both work because its so expensive (NOK), milk is nearly $8 a gallon, so is petrol for your car. People in Norway near the border with Sweden cross the border to shop. Cost of living is 48% higher than in the United States. Like sunshine? in some areas it's dark all the time for 6 weeks.

BTW, I retired at 55 with all the wealth I'll need to last me the rest of my life. I'll bet you're in a cubicle somewhere bemoaning why life isn't fair. Grow up kid, your shtick is what's a waste of time.
I'm 59, worth about $2 million and enjoy my work as a lawyer immensely. I wasn't going to retire at age 55 from my profession because frankly I enjoyed both the income and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of my clients by solving problems for them.

Its interesting. I've noticed a pattern. If you say anything that suggests life in America isn't absolutely perfect and that it isn't "the greatest country in the world" a segment of people just come unglued. They can't handle it. You must be unhappy, on welfare, self-pitying, uneducated, or intellectually deficient. Quite the contrary, I don't fit into any of those categories. I just objectively look at my country of origin and see problems as well as opportunities.

I've traveled all over this world. America has may positive qualities as a nation, but one of our worst qualities is xenophobia. We can't make room for the fact that other nations are doing better than we are in some areas. Some here insist on rejecting data that suggests that the opportunity to grow and succeed here is not as great as in many European nations, Canada, and Australia.

Opportunity to become successful and even wealthy is greater in other countries for reasons that are well known. Obtaining higher education has become prohibitively expensive in the USA while overseas it is much cheaper for the student. The other major problem we have is the high cost of health insurance that no one really expresses any interest in doing anything about. The burden of paying for these things falls disproportionately on younger people and keeps many of them from moving ahead as quickly as they otherwise would. Of course, some won't see it and will continue to bury their heads in the sand.

Old 04-17-2019, 01:13 PM

1,233 posts, read 497,254 times
A country good for business may not be a country to get rich easily.

A place that is easy to get rich should be one where there is no or low income tax, capital gain tax, corporate tax, inheritance tax,....etc.

All those European countries take away half of your income. How can you get rich?

Old 04-17-2019, 04:14 PM

1,233 posts, read 497,254 times
Denmark's personal income tax rate is 55.8%. Its sales tax rate is 25% -- even higher than its EU neighbors.

No doubt one can live comfortably in Denmark if he has a decent job. But becoming rich is much harder.

Old 04-17-2019, 07:24 PM

5,094 posts, read 3,885,581 times
I was talking to a person from Finland. While the quality of life might exceed the us, she said that quality of life was very expensive because of the taxes. She said it was very difficult to become wealthy for most people there as compared to then United States.

Old 04-18-2019, 05:05 AM

713 posts, read 254,142 times
Perhaps the figures on median wealth per person might be relevant. Because obviously people need to build that wealth. I think at the moment Switzerland and Australia rank highly. I cannot speak for Switzerland but Australia's wealth is based heavily on property ownership as well as compulsory superannuation, or retirement funds.

Old Today, 03:00 AM

17,592 posts, read 9,092,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markg91359 View Post
I'm 59, worth about $2 million and enjoy my work as a lawyer immensely. I wasn't going to retire at age 55 from my profession because frankly I enjoyed both the income and the opportunity to make a difference in the lives of my clients by solving problems for them.

Its interesting. I've noticed a pattern. If you say anything that suggests life in America isn't absolutely perfect and that it isn't "the greatest country in the world" a segment of people just come unglued. They can't handle it. You must be unhappy, on welfare, self-pitying, uneducated, or intellectually deficient. Quite the contrary, I don't fit into any of those categories. I just objectively look at my country of origin and see problems as well as opportunities.

I've traveled all over this world. America has may positive qualities as a nation, but one of our worst qualities is xenophobia. We can't make room for the fact that other nations are doing better than we are in some areas. Some here insist on rejecting data that suggests that the opportunity to grow and succeed here is not as great as in many European nations, Canada, and Australia.

Opportunity to become successful and even wealthy is greater in other countries for reasons that are well known. Obtaining higher education has become prohibitively expensive in the USA while overseas it is much cheaper for the student. The other major problem we have is the high cost of health insurance that no one really expresses any interest in doing anything about. The burden of paying for these things falls disproportionately on younger people and keeps many of them from moving ahead as quickly as they otherwise would. Of course, some won't see it and will continue to bury their heads in the sand.
When people say something accurate is one thing, this OP posted a biased completely inaccurate and incorrect statement....people that agree with inaccurate statements, I can't agree with them.

The US has more millionnaires than the next 8 countries combined....USA can make millionnaires faster than Denmark or Norway can make people.

Criticism of US obesity and related health issues, diet and food chain, expensive health care and college education, and numbers of illegals and number of other immigrants we allow in that are high cost to the taxpayers are fair and I can't disagree with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or