U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2019, 04:47 AM

28,502 posts, read 62,182,463 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
There are people here who would put Socrates, Thomas Aquinas,
and Thomas Jefferson out on the street because they didn't learn a specific job skill.
Is that really your take from the comments?
Do try harder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2019, 06:07 PM

5,456 posts, read 3,762,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Is that really your take from the comments?
Do try harder.
There's an awful lot of disdain for humanistic education. TBH it was in a another thread.

They were all philosophers. What value did they add to society? Not much, because studying what they wrote would be a one-way ticket to poverty according to people here.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:20 PM

8,639 posts, read 3,045,045 times
Quote:
There's an awful lot of disdain for humanistic education.
We're on the same page, here. It's not that STEM education is "bad," it's that it shouldn't be clogging up universities when the only goal is a job ticket. Better to move it to faster-moving, more-current trade schools that don't waste all that time on irrelevant things like language skills, civics, history, and anything not STEM-job-related. Most STEM students just take the "Shakespeare for bozos" level classes anyway.

Let universities go back to educating people who actually want to be, you know, educated - and don't really care what tech job drones think of their education.

Old 06-26-2019, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
We're on the same page, here. It's not that STEM education is "bad," it's that it shouldn't be clogging up universities when the only goal is a job ticket. Better to move it to faster-moving, more-current trade schools that don't waste all that time on irrelevant things like language skills, civics, history, and anything not STEM-job-related. Most STEM students just take the "Shakespeare for bozos" level classes anyway.

Let universities go back to educating people who actually want to be, you know, educated - and don't really care what tech job drones think of their education.
I doubt even all STEM makes the cut for these people. They mostly focus on the 'T' and 'E' and less the 'S' and 'M' parts. Especially the 'S.'

Old 06-26-2019, 07:51 PM

Quote:
I doubt even all STEM makes the cut for these people. They mostly focus on the 'T' and 'E' and less the 'S' and 'M' parts. Especially the 'S.'
Again, I'd agree, but we could divert the discussion for days over such issues. Yes, "STEM" means 95% computer/network technology and hardware/software development about 90% of the time. Poor math guys, in the back of the bus as always.

Old 06-27-2019, 02:50 AM

592 posts, read 248,566 times
Quote:
There's an awful lot of disdain for humanistic education. TBH it was in a another thread.

They were all philosophers. What value did they add to society? Not much, because studying what they wrote would be a one-way ticket to poverty according to people here.
They added a lot of value. But we now have about all the philosophy we need. The issue is there are way too many that feel they will be the next great philosopher, humanist or great person that you would want to build a monument for. Many of these people want to go into these areas because they simply donít want to get a real job so they stay in school for as long as they can and usually live off others. Then they start whining about how bad the economy is because reality starts hitting them in the hind parts.

Old 06-27-2019, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post
They added a lot of value. But we now have about all the philosophy we need.
Wow. Just... wow.

I think anything I say here would just get deleted, as I seem to have moderators riding my tail right now. But substantive comments would revolve around the phrase "breathtaking ignorance."

Old 06-29-2019, 11:56 AM

3,945 posts, read 3,263,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlmostSeniorinNJ View Post
They added a lot of value. But we now have about all the philosophy we need. The issue is there are way too many that feel they will be the next great philosopher, humanist or great person that you would want to build a monument for. Many of these people want to go into these areas because they simply donít want to get a real job so they stay in school for as long as they can and usually live off others. Then they start whining about how bad the economy is because reality starts hitting them in the hind parts.
I'd think that the in vogue direction taken by most of our youth mimics that of Steve Jobs, and not the path taken by great thinkers. Your take on philosophy seems to have been hatched in that anti intellectual space inhabited by some of our most unscrupulous money driven individuals and corporate entities. Critical thinking skills seem to be integral to an understanding of aggregate moral obligation, and philosophy addresses the notions of analytical thought as it applies to our relations with others, something we find to be missing in much of American business..

Society needs people who demonstrate a good balance between technical skill and all that emanates from a moral consciousness. I can't fault someone who doesn't feel a pressing need for that "real job," and I don't feel any threat from that view, but, creating a moral path to walk requires more than most technical institutions can offer. The world has plenty of skilled technicians, but the rise of societal incivility calls for a more thoughtful approach to determining what constitutes social value..

Old 06-30-2019, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jertheber View Post
I'd think that the in vogue direction taken by most of our youth mimics that of Steve Jobs, and not the path taken by great thinkers. Your take on philosophy seems to have been hatched in that anti intellectual space inhabited by some of our most unscrupulous money driven individuals and corporate entities. Critical thinking skills seem to be integral to an understanding of aggregate moral obligation, and philosophy addresses the notions of analytical thought as it applies to our relations with others, something we find to be missing in much of American business..

Society needs people who demonstrate a good balance between technical skill and all that emanates from a moral consciousness. I can't fault someone who doesn't feel a pressing need for that "real job," and I don't feel any threat from that view, but, creating a moral path to walk requires more than most technical institutions can offer. The world has plenty of skilled technicians, but the rise of societal incivility calls for a more thoughtful approach to determining what constitutes social value..

YES! This idea that most college students want to become the next Foucault or Saul Bellow or something is just silly. For most of them, their heroes are indeed people like Zuckerberg.

Old 07-05-2019, 06:41 PM

8,787 posts, read 7,707,284 times
Lying leftist main stream media.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or