U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 11:15 AM

7,294 posts, read 2,538,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
Wow, you are really into it!
Rasho and I are rarely on the same side of any argument, but I pretty much echo all he says above.

Quote:
I do Keurig for convenience, taste and consistency of product. I need a certain dose of caffeine, and their French Roast meets my standards.
Then, to be honest, good instant would be cheaper and just as good. You've been sold an expensive machine that uses expensive supplies (and contributes disproportionately to landfill waste) to produce second-rate brew. Gosh, yes, it's convenient. But so is stirring in a few spoonfuls of Folgers (a top-rated brand) or, if you insist on cachet, Starbucks instant.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 11:18 AM

1,619 posts, read 365,640 times
Even when better quality coffee finds its way into a Keurig, the technology of the Keurig isn't good for actually brewing coffee. Brewing coffee is chemical engineering, where you use a solvent (clean, good tasting water with the correct mineral TDS) and a solute (ground coffee) to make a solution (the cup of coffee you drink). There are something like 200+ identified chemicals components in the cup of coffee you drink, and the proportions of each are a function of the the correct water temperature (and mineral TDS), how finely ground the coffee beans are (a finer grind exposes more surface area and hence affects the resulting solution), how long the solvent is in contact with the solute (for brewed coffee, about 4 minutes seems ideal), turbulence/agitation (which accelerates dissolving the solute just as stirring a glass of water with a tablespoon of salt results in a faster totally dissolved result), etc, and altitude (air pressure). At 7500 feet elevation, you need to use a different coffee brewing process than at sea level. Differing beans require a different grind level and water temperature and duration of exposure to produce good coffee in the cup.

Keruig's system is designed for something other than a good cup of coffee. It is designed for convenience, and the price its customers pay is that convenience results in a brown liquid solution that bears little resemblance to something that would be generated at the World Barista Championships.

(I'm ignoring the other stuff, such as the different flavor profile you'll taste based on how quickly the roastmaster increased the temperature of the roast before & after 1st crack, and the difference in taste you can generate when using either conical or flat burrs in the grinder, or steel vs. ceramic burrs, etc).

Old 05-15-2019, 11:22 AM

Quote:
I do Keurig for convenience, taste and consistency of product. I need a certain dose of caffeine, and their French Roast meets my standards.
I'm glad it works for you. Heck, when I'm on the interstate driving 8-10 hours, at some point I'll drink whatever they call coffee wherever I can find it. Gotta stay awake, even if that coffee tastes more like cough syrup. I just add ice to get it down to a safe temperature so I can then hold my nose & shotgun the thing.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RationalExpectations View Post
I'm glad it works for you. Heck, when I'm on the interstate driving 8-10 hours, at some point I'll drink whatever they call coffee wherever I can find it. Gotta stay awake, even if that coffee tastes more like cough syrup. I just add ice to get it down to a safe temperature so I can then hold my nose & shotgun the thing.
Or you could make the mistake, late at night, of asking for regular coffee in a New England DD, and getting on the road to find you have a cup of coffee-flavored dairy product.

I drank Folger's Classic Instant for a week or so on a client site. It was... quite adequate once I learned the precise mix I liked.

Old 05-15-2019, 11:55 AM

8,819 posts, read 3,861,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Rasho and I are rarely on the same side of any argument, but I pretty much echo all he says above.

Then, to be honest, good instant would be cheaper and just as good. You've been sold an expensive machine that uses expensive supplies (and contributes disproportionately to landfill waste) to produce second-rate brew. Gosh, yes, it's convenient. But so is stirring in a few spoonfuls of Folgers (a top-rated brand) or, if you insist on cachet, Starbucks instant.

I used Folgers at my office for many years before moving on. I haven't found good instant that meets my criteria. Starbucks instant is more expensive, less convenient and not the taste I want. Even comparing Starbucks instant French Roast with Starbucks K-cup French Roast.

The Keurig might have cost $100, but many years ago. The expense for me is meager. The waste is meager. Cachet means zero to me. I experimented with many K-cup brands before reaching my current conclusion.

Few things in my life give me so much pleasure for so little money! Maybe that's a sad thing? lol

Old 05-15-2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Few things in my life give me so much pleasure for so little money! Maybe that's a sad thing? lol
Something I don't make clear often enough, when I tap-dance on consumer excess, is that I am almost never suggesting that people throw away something they own. The message to someone like you is, "Think it through before you buy another Keurig." The message to people who have a long list of things they want, like a Keurig, is "Think it through before you buy something you've been told is wonderful, or that all your friends have."

I mildly suggest you rethink your coffee needs when the K-machine dies. Nothing more.

Old 05-15-2019, 01:00 PM

8,819 posts, read 3,861,476 times
Quote:
Something I don't make clear often enough, when I tap-dance on consumer excess, is that I am almost never suggesting that people throw away something they own. The message to someone like you is, "Think it through before you buy another Keurig." The message to people who have a long list of things they want, like a Keurig, is "Think it through before you buy something you've been told is wonderful, or that all your friends have."

I mildly suggest you rethink your coffee needs when the K-machine dies. Nothing more.
The only improvement I would make is to have my next Keurig automatically fill with water.

I think that you underestimate the utility and satisfaction I receive from the Keurig. We are moved temporarily 200 miles from home for my wife's medical care. For about 4 months if all goes well. I brought some clothes, my toiletry items, cell phone, wallet, check book, laptop and Keurig!

Old 05-15-2019, 01:25 PM

Quote:
I think that you underestimate the utility and satisfaction I receive from the Keurig.
No. Certainly not the personal satisfaction. I'd argue the utility, but not to the point of saying the things are useless in all respects. I think the one place they're appropriate is company break rooms, for example.

But in the end, it's a lot of expense and waste for fairly second-rate brew. I think there are better (home/individual) choices no matter what your aim is.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:00 PM

Quote:
I think that you underestimate the utility and satisfaction I receive from the Keurig.
Quote:
I'm with Quiteude on this. (wait. did I just say that???)

Do a blind taste test. I think you'll find instant is both (a) faster and (b) better tasting.

Hoonose, you may be familiar with the story of housewives and cake mixes. The early cakemix brands (Betty Crocker, Duncan Hinds, Pillsbury, etc) tested out completely powdered cake mixes where the only thing to be added was water. Focus groups of housewives 60 years ago indicated the women didn't feel they were actually, you know, making the cake. The end result is the brands removed powdered egg and milk, and modified the instructions so the housewives had to add an egg and some milk. The end result was housewives then felt they were actually making the cake.

That psychological part may be affecting your tastebuds. By using a Keurig, you may be feeling you're actually making coffee.

Old 05-15-2019, 09:16 PM

Quote:
I think there is room in your coffee pantry for something to add along side your Keurig machine. Try this:

https://www.amazon.com/Clever-Coffee...WB8/ref=sr_1_3

It is a "Clever Coffee Dripper." You use a standard #4 cone paper filter. You take ground coffee you buy at the grocery store. You put in a couple scoops of ground coffee. You add hot water - a bit off boiling. This thing has a valve on the bottom, so your water/ground coffee mixture will stay in it and "steep" like tea. After a minute or so, stir it with a spoon. After 2 to 3 minutes, set it on a coffee cup and the valve opens to drain filtered solution into the cup, and within another 15 seconds or so you have a cup of coffee to drink.

If you want to get a bit more precise, try a recipe of 22 grams of ground coffee and 360 grams of 205 degree water. Use water you like. I happen to like Kirkland/Costco water.

During the day, make one cup using the Clever Coffee Dripper, and the rest with your K-Machine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or