Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2019, 03:08 PM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
But they certainly work though.

I heard that Trump works up to 19 hours a day. I'm not arguing about this. It's just what I read.

Why would a person work so many hours when they could just relax on the beach for the rest of their lives? It's an interesting philosophical question.
Oh my gosh - LOTS of people prefer to work rather than kick off their shoes. I sure don't want to relax on the beach after I retire from my job...I want to be productive. I'd love working with Habitat for example.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2019, 03:12 PM

27,543 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
Oh my gosh - LOTS of people prefer to work rather than kick off their shoes. I sure don't want to relax on the beach after I retire from my job...I want to be productive. I'd love working with Habitat for example.
But being a politician, let alone a President, is intense and grueling work. There is very little fun about that line of work. It is merciless.

And yet, we have senior citizens who continue to do that until very late in life. I find that fascinating.

Old 05-04-2019, 03:19 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,751,934 times
Quote:
And yet, we have senior citizens who continue to do that until very late in life. I find that fascinating.
Not to derail the main point, but this "unfathomable" drive to work and contribute and create is completely ignored when talking about any economic option that might let people survive without a supporting job. But of course everyone who gets a free ride will just slack off and sit on a couch or beach or barstool.

Often repeated by people who have parents and grandparents who dropped dead "doing something" with no real financial return. Funny, that is.

Old 05-04-2019, 03:35 PM

37,590 posts, read 45,950,883 times
Quote:
But being a politician, let alone a President, is intense and grueling work. There is very little fun about that line of work. It is merciless.

You really think politicians are not there because they love the job?? Really?? It is not fun to you...and "fun" is probably not the right word...but I assure you they are there because they get the utmost satisfaction from it. Call it a power trip, ego trip...whatever.

Old 05-04-2019, 03:42 PM

28,660 posts, read 18,764,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I disagree. They are being paid for their own labor. I have a good friend that is an ER doctor...she certainly does not set her own prices, LOL. And she needs every cent - 3 kids in boarding school and one in college. Doctors are absolutely working class.
A doctor may choose to work in those circumstances, but that is not the common "lot" of someone in the professional class. Someone in the "working class" cannot go into a private practice and set his own hours and prices.

Old 05-04-2019, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
The key distinction about most doctors, lawyers, engineers, scientists, writers and so forth, is that their labor is both intellectual and creative. That is, they solve problems in a meaningful and insightful way. They make diagnoses, offer legal arguments, derive and solve equations, write new literature. To be sure, some doctors effective do nursing, and some lawyers effectively just perform administrative services. Setting broken bones or filing delaying-motions are probably not higher-end intellectual functions. But many doctors do research in cancer-treatment, and many lawyers write groundbreaking opinions on constitutional law. Many engineers conduct research on new measurement-techniques, new chemical reactions or materials-processing or machine-learning.

The sort of work that advances the human species as a whole, that ennobles us as a pertly inquisitive and contemplative lot - that, while still being "work", is hardly indicative of being working-class. Phrased alternatively, to be a professional, in the truest sense, means a systematic and forceful way to taking one's mind where other minds haven't yet been... which is the very antithesis of "working class".
Okay.

Old 05-04-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
But they certainly work though.

I heard that Trump works up to 19 hours a day. I'm not arguing about this. It's just what I read.

Why would a person work so many hours day at 70+ years of age when they could just relax on the beach for the rest of their lives without a care in the world? It's an interesting philosophical question.
Because there is a specific ethic called in the West the "Protestant work ethic" (which does appear in other regions of the world as well--strongly in Confucianism) in which usefulness is a good thing per se, and that indolence is a bad thing. This isn't natural, but it's commonly taught.

Old 05-04-2019, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
Because there is a specific ethic called in the West the "Protestant work ethic" (which does appear in other regions of the world as well--strongly in Confucianism) in which usefulness is a good thing per se, and that indolence is a bad thing. This isn't natural, but it's commonly taught.
Who says it's not natural? Are you saying that with an infinite supply of nuts and berries, early man would have invented the couch and stopped?

Old 05-04-2019, 04:53 PM

13,641 posts, read 9,698,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Who says it's not natural? Are you saying that with an infinite supply of nuts and berries, early man would have invented the couch and stopped?
With a limitless supply of nuts and berries, early man would never have descended from the trees.

Old 05-04-2019, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
With a limitless supply of nuts and berries, early man would never have descended from the trees.
I disagree entirely about human nature. But then, I don't attend the 1st Church of Econ Calvinism.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics