U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 12:52 AM

6,582 posts, read 3,705,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
This is not a service for those who can simply take it all out of the mailbox and take a minute to screen it yourself. What if you live in a motorhome and are never in one state for more than a few months, or you're an OTR trucker or airline pilot, or you travel 80% of the time for business, or you're on a 90 day work assignment out of the country, or any other situation where you cannot easily physically access your mailbox? Not every service is relevant or desirable for every user. That doesn't mean the service doesn't have it's place. There are 3rd parties already providing this service and they are thriving.

Funny you should ask; I was a person who travelled for business and was usually home only on weekends - my approach would have been no different for that decade or so; nothing in my mailbox was so urgent it couldn't wait until I returned home. My family friend who was a career airline pilot had a schedule that had him home every few days at least and a couple of guys I know who drive long distance moving vans are rarely gone for more than a week. That leaves us with RVers who seem to have had methods that work for themselves figured out for years.

That leaves a very small minority who would be interested in such a service even if the OP is. I also find it hard to believe the USPS would be interested in embracing a business model which would cost them a large share of their bulk mail revenue.

Last edited by kokonutty; 05-05-2019 at 01:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 07:08 AM

25,544 posts, read 32,542,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceangaia View Post
A lot of people don't have the option to "do you" and mooch off other people.
I would not call this mooching. I would happily do this for a friend or family member, and have done so many times. Of course if you don't have any, then this would work for you.

Old 05-05-2019, 04:37 PM

16,194 posts, read 16,270,403 times
I have the informed-delivery and it is pretty great. Would love to go fully paperless.

Old 05-06-2019, 06:16 PM

5,204 posts, read 2,146,629 times
I bill my clients by e-mail.

90% of all client payments are deposited directly into my account.

I pay my vendors by online banking.

I use the mail for three things: Thank you notes, condolence letters, and whatever I send to the IRS--chiefly because I always use registered mail when dealing with those guys.

Old Yesterday, 07:59 AM

10,986 posts, read 7,457,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Lots of people use Virtual Mailbox services for a monthly fee.

Why doesn't the USPS get in on this market? I think it would be very profitable.

Now that USPS offers Informed Delivery Daily Digest via email, the next step is to sell services for a Virtual Mailbox.
USPS offers Informed Delivery Daily Digest for free. It shows vie email an image of the mail you are about to receive that day as well as info if you are getting a package. I have it for my mail, and my PO box and set it up for my father to use it as his house.

I pay all my bills online and don't get them thru the mail. I haven't written a check in a long time and seldom use a stamp.

Old Today, 09:50 AM

5,204 posts, read 2,146,629 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dothetwist View Post
Lots of people use Virtual Mailbox services for a monthly fee.

Why doesn't the USPS get in on this market? I think it would be very profitable.

Now that USPS offers Informed Delivery Daily Digest via email, the next step is to sell services for a Virtual Mailbox.

I think that's called 'e-mail.'

I already get my bills through it. I get party invitations, too.

The only thing I don't get through e-mail are catalogs and client payments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or