U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-05-2019, 05:25 PM
 
6,586 posts, read 3,711,088 times
Reputation: 14087

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Home Town Buffet, where they have to reinforce the floors before the restaurant can open.
I'd be happy if they occasionally mopped them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-06-2019, 05:53 AM
Status: "Defunct account" (set 5 days ago)
 
70 posts, read 12,690 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by numsgal View Post
I agree with him that our social safety net gets bogged down by politics and government. I would like to see us have a better safety net like Sweden or Denmark. Unfortunately, we don't have the homogenous, small population those countries have, so it is more complicated and costly here. Just think of how much money could be saved on driver's license applications if they were in one language instead of the 16 or so they currently offer. There could be a lot of costs saved just by having a single language.
It’s possible. Be alright with personal income tax rates of up to 61%. Mind you, the corporate tax rate is 22%. These are Swedish tax rates - not sure about Denmark. So no complaining about high taxes and corporations “not paying their fair share”.

Also, they have a shrinking population and know they have a major problem ahead of them in funding the social benefits system. There are few children being born, so few future taxpayers with pockets to pick.

Sweden’s economy maxed out in the 1960s. There are good aspects of their society, but it’s not all roses as this country’s progressives make it out to be. I’ve read several surveys about why Danes are among the happiest in the world. The primary reason is lower expectations. They simply aren’t raised with the same expectations for life that many are in this country. Again, pluses and minuses I imagine.

Or we could create a sovereign wealth fund like Norway. It’s kind of like Alaska’s but much, much larger. But progressives won’t like that because like oil and stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2019, 06:23 AM
Status: "Any Russian written here is for the benefit of trolls" (set 10 days ago)
 
Location: Proxima Centauri
4,642 posts, read 1,910,884 times
Reputation: 5071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Wanting the excesses of capitalism to be reined in is not a march to socialism.

Regretfully the wealthy and their mindless minions in the working class have successfully redefined socialism to mean anything that the right deems costly to business. The mindless minions that I speak of are often retired union members who are wrapped in the flag, and voting for the right not knowing that they are shooting at their own feet.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2019, 06:35 AM
Status: "Defunct account" (set 5 days ago)
 
70 posts, read 12,690 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Regretfully the wealthy and their mindless minions in the working class have successfully redefined socialism to mean anything that the right deems costly to business. The mindless minions that I speak of are often retired union members who are wrapped in the flag, and voting for the right not knowing that they are shooting at their own feet.
And what have you done to rise above the unwashed prole masses?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2019, 07:31 AM
 
Location: SoCal
12,509 posts, read 5,979,304 times
Reputation: 9007
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Americans couldn't give you an accurate definition of socialism to save their lives. They think Europe is socialist, LOL!

Most of the "socialists" in American politics are calling for things that used to exist in America's own past, such as tuition-free college. State universities used to be paid for by the states, wow what a concept!
You made that statement as if you are above most Americans, you know better then them. Maybe itís time to be less self-absorbed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2019, 07:56 AM
 
Location: Oregon, formerly Texas
5,346 posts, read 3,672,702 times
Reputation: 9055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Zoidberg View Post
It’s possible. Be alright with personal income tax rates of up to 61%. Mind you, the corporate tax rate is 22%. These are Swedish tax rates - not sure about Denmark. So no complaining about high taxes and corporations “not paying their fair share”.

Also, they have a shrinking population and know they have a major problem ahead of them in funding the social benefits system. There are few children being born, so few future taxpayers with pockets to pick.

Sweden’s economy maxed out in the 1960s. There are good aspects of their society, but it’s not all roses as this country’s progressives make it out to be. I’ve read several surveys about why Danes are among the happiest in the world. The primary reason is lower expectations. They simply aren’t raised with the same expectations for life that many are in this country. Again, pluses and minuses I imagine.

Or we could create a sovereign wealth fund like Norway. It’s kind of like Alaska’s but much, much larger. But progressives won’t like that because like oil and stuff.
Sweden has done pretty much everything they can to incentivize childbirth. They have very generous paid family leave for both men and women, subsidized day care, great schools, they give families a generous tax credit when they have a kid. There's not much more they can do at the governmental level to make having children easier.

The truth is, the more a society educates its women, the fewer children they will have. Educated women have fewer children. This usually accompanies prosperity and civil rights. If you've got women going to college and working, they can't really start having kids until ~30, which means you've lost more than half of their child-bearing years. To add to that, in a rich country, kids are luxury, not a necessity.

Demographers have tracked this trend back to the middle ages. Rich countries have to wrap their heads around that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2019, 08:02 AM
Status: "Defunct account" (set 5 days ago)
 
70 posts, read 12,690 times
Reputation: 101
That’s all fine and well. Doesn’t change the reality that they will not be able to fund the social benefits of the older generation with the taxes of the smaller generation following them. Same problem that our SS system faces, arguably worse.

Can’t have it both ways - generous social benefits with no taxpayers to fund it. I’m all for the no kids part. I don’t want to pay 50+% in income taxes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2019, 08:04 AM
 
Location: Oregon, formerly Texas
5,346 posts, read 3,672,702 times
Reputation: 9055
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
You made that statement as if you are above most Americans, you know better then them. Maybe itís time to be less self-absorbed.
No, we know that Americans can't define it:

https://news.gallup.com/opinion/poll...ans-today.aspx
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2019, 08:05 AM
 
Location: Oregon, formerly Texas
5,346 posts, read 3,672,702 times
Reputation: 9055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Zoidberg View Post
That’s all fine and well. Doesn’t change the reality that they will not be able to fund the social benefits of the older generation with the taxes of the smaller generation following them. Same problem that our SS system faces, arguably worse.

Can’t have it both ways - generous social benefits with no taxpayers to fund it. I’m all for the no kids part. I don’t want to pay 50+% in income taxes.
Then what happens to the old people?

What happened to my great-grandfather before social security - my grandfather and grandmother put him in a corner of a room separated with a curtain for some privacy, brought him his meals, and let him waste away until he died. He was one of the lucky ones whose family at least had a house big enough for that & could afford the food.

Last edited by redguard57; 05-06-2019 at 08:18 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2019, 09:05 AM
 
3,569 posts, read 3,018,077 times
Reputation: 7336
The proposed budget suggests that we are marching away from anything remotely socialist.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top