U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 05-06-2019, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
7,066 posts, read 2,465,819 times
Reputation: 10978

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
The Sanders faction doesn't want the help of people like Buffett.
There is no Sanders faction, there is only Sanders... who is going to do everything hmself, as he's always done, since with all his experience he's never figured out how to work with others.

Any supporter who looks at his Senate record and comes away with the idea that this is a man who can get anything done - anything at all - is absolutely blind to reality.

Sanders, AOC, Buttigieg... having fabulous ideas and suggestions is only one small part of it. A politician, especially the country's lead politician, must have the political savvy and consensus-building strength to actually make ideas work. Otherwise, they're a floundering placeholder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 05-06-2019, 05:18 PM
 
Location: Oregon, formerly Texas
5,346 posts, read 3,672,702 times
Reputation: 9055
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
There is no Sanders faction, there is only Sanders... who is going to do everything hmself, as he's always done, since with all his experience he's never figured out how to work with others.

Any supporter who looks at his Senate record and comes away with the idea that this is a man who can get anything done - anything at all - is absolutely blind to reality.

Sanders, AOC, Buttigieg... having fabulous ideas and suggestions is only one small part of it. A politician, especially the country's lead politician, must have the political savvy and consensus-building strength to actually make ideas work. Otherwise, they're a floundering placeholder.
I think his point was that you compromise yourself to get things done for the sake of it. Honestly I would never have believed he could even do half as well as he's done. Left-liberals before him like Bill Bradley went out with much more of a wimper.

What I think Bernie tapped into was the Occupy Wall Street energy that never truly died - it just became less intense and distributed. It was very much against "the Billionaire class." That's why I don't think Buffett speaks for those folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2019, 05:27 PM
 
17,908 posts, read 10,182,547 times
Reputation: 13063
Warren and his buddies don't have to concern themselves with stuff like this:

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/world...SIJ?li=AAggv0m
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2019, 05:35 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
7,066 posts, read 2,465,819 times
Reputation: 10978
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I think his point was that you compromise yourself to get things done for the sake of it. Honestly I would never have believed he could even do half as well as he's done. Left-liberals before him like Bill Bradley went out with much more of a wimper.
I'm not quite following, but politics in this country is done by consensus. One wild-eyed (-haired?) visionary is not enough, nor going to get anything useful done, no matter how much you might admire or agree with his ideas. But the crowd looking for change, any change (and god knows we can't fault them) have lost sight of this simple, pragmatic fact. Whoop-te-do oratory and no clue how to get anything accomplished is exactly how we got in the present mess... and there would be nothing gained from having the mess tinted blue instead of red.

Quote:
What I think Bernie tapped into was the Occupy Wall Street energy that never truly died - it just became less intense and distributed.
OWS is the mob version of what I said above. They seized an infinitely important and influential moment and zeitgeist... and then sat around in the mud devising ultra-egalitarian crowd response signals. No, no, we can't have leeeeeeaaderrrs... those are BAD. Hoffman, Rubin and Dellinger must be spinning in their graves.

Quote:
It was very much against "the Billionaire class." That's why I don't think Buffett speaks for those folks.
Billionaires are not the enemy. A badly corroded form of capitalism that so easily creates billionaires paired with bottom-class billions is the enemy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2019, 07:57 PM
Status: "If u invent a negative trait " (set 8 days ago)
 
54 posts, read 14,244 times
Reputation: 49
People think providing others with the charity aka love enough to offer a basic level of healthcare is Socialism. And a small amt of food. There will always be folks who look able bodied but deal with invisible injuries, mental or physical health

Aside from those two, I'd say get a job if you want beyond that. Anyone with half a brain would choose a job. Want more than shelter, food and medical care? Go to College, work 2 jobs at once or move up in your current profession.

Do not allow folks to keep getting knocked up. After 2 kids, the third is on you or taken away to go to a home which can provide for them. After the 3rd unwanted child, make them be required to be on birth control....a shot in the arm every 3 months to qualify for benefits.

Bust up those Mormons in UTAH and force the Dads to get a job 50 hrs a week. Geeze Louise, arrest the suckers first and stop that incestuous perverted child molesting gang member Cultists. After they do time, assist them with a job and counseling with support groups so they understand the seriousness of their crimes. Offer them a place to live until they get on their own two feet. Eventually it will save the taxpayers $ not allowing this dysfunction to repeat itself in Jesus' name. Such a sick religion
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2019, 09:25 PM
 
Location: Saint Paul
884 posts, read 377,317 times
Reputation: 1059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonyafd View Post
Regretfully the wealthy and their mindless minions in the working class have successfully redefined socialism to mean anything that the right deems costly to business. The mindless minions that I speak of are often retired union members who are wrapped in the flag, and voting for the right not knowing that they are shooting at their own feet.
Socialism is about political control, not tax rates or welfare.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-06-2019, 11:41 PM
 
Location: Studio City, CA 91604
2,617 posts, read 2,878,902 times
Reputation: 4534
Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Americans couldn't give you an accurate definition of socialism to save their lives. They think Europe is socialist, LOL!

Most of the "socialists" in American politics are calling for things that used to exist in America's own past, such as tuition-free college. State universities used to be paid for by the states, wow what a concept!
Yep!

It's funny, I remember when the Tea Party was a "thing" and I was reading articles about it. I came across a picture of one of the members holding up a sign that said, "keep the government's hands off my Social security!". In the article, she was quoted bemoaning "socialism".

It donned on me, at that point, just how stupid some people in the U.S. really are.

Here in "socialist" California we've got state-funded Occupational Centers all over which help low-income people learn vocational trades. These are *in addition* to what is offered at the community colleges too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2019, 12:01 AM
 
Location: Studio City, CA 91604
2,617 posts, read 2,878,902 times
Reputation: 4534
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Zoidberg View Post
I’ve read several surveys about why Danes are among the happiest in the world. The primary reason is lower expectations.
There's a saying in Denmark, "few have too much, fewer have too little"

The primary reason that Danes are rated as happier people is because they are not addicted to materialism the way Americans are. Rather, Danes place value on the overall well-being of their entire nation. They pay taxes to keep everyone healthy and employed. Denmark also has one of the lowest corruption indexes on the planet...coincidence? Nope!

In the U.S., we've been taught to "look out for Number One" since the day we're born.

What this thinking has resulted in is rabid materialism, a "show off" culture, massive credit card debt, women marrying for money, chronic unhappiness, ubiquitous drug abuse, broken families and marriages, cheating and corruption at all levels, stepping on someone else's neck to get ahead, high suicide rates, overdoses, etc.

This is the broken form of capitalism that right-wing Republicans go ApeSh** over when someone dare's to criticize it.

Last edited by kttam186290; 05-07-2019 at 12:15 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2019, 05:59 AM
Status: "Defunct account" (set 5 days ago)
 
70 posts, read 12,690 times
Reputation: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by kttam186290 View Post
There's a saying in Denmark, "few have too much, fewer have too little"

The primary reason that Danes are rated as happier people is because they are not addicted to materialism the way Americans are. Rather, Danes place value on the overall well-being of their entire nation. They pay taxes to keep everyone healthy and employed. Denmark also has one of the lowest corruption indexes on the planet...coincidence? Nope!

In the U.S., we've been taught to "look out for Number One" since the day we're born.

What this thinking has resulted in is rabid materialism, a "show off" culture, massive credit card debt, women marrying for money, chronic unhappiness, ubiquitous drug abuse, broken families and marriages, cheating and corruption at all levels, stepping on someone else's neck to get ahead, high suicide rates, overdoses, etc.

This is the broken form of capitalism that right-wing Republicans go ApeSh** over when someone dare's to criticize it.
Could be true, but it wasn't in the survey I read. Its a few years old now - wish I could find a link. I guess it falls in line with less materialism, but it wasn't a political statement that you try to fashion it into.

Also, I hardly think Democrats are immune to the problems you listed nor have I ever heard a Republican get excited about suicide rates.

Sounds like you need to see the world through a less partisan lens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 05-07-2019, 07:00 AM
 
4,683 posts, read 2,562,416 times
Reputation: 8536
Is this thread implying that Buffett is a socialist? Really....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top