U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2019, 02:21 PM

18,552 posts, read 13,303,406 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
What does rate you down mean? I sometimes tip in cash, but I rarely give any ratings, always able to get a ride.

Riders are rated by the drivers, you can be kicked out if your rating gets too low I believe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2019, 02:24 PM

19,373 posts, read 14,002,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprklcl View Post
99% of time I give the driver a tip, ...
Taxis are not tipped jobs, and I reject your premise in its entirety.

It is a commonly accepted practice to round up the fare to the next whole dollar, but that is not a tip, that is merely convenience for convenience's sake.

It is also a common practice to round up to the Bill when it's convenient.

Example: fare is $8.80 so you round up to $9.00 and all you have is a $10 Bill so you just give them the $10, because you don't have the time to waste waiting around while the driver makes change.

However, seeing how most drivers accept credit/debit cards, only the practice of rounding to the next dollar is necessary.

Having said that, I have tipped drivers in the past, but that's only because they helped me carry luggage to or from my home to the vehicle.

Old 05-05-2019, 06:56 PM

537 posts, read 180,893 times
Like hell I'd tip an Uber or Lyft driver 20%. They get $1 to $3 depending on length of trip and whether they pulled any dumb crap. If I wanted to tip some percentage, I'd take a cab.

Old 05-05-2019, 08:30 PM

5,733 posts, read 2,769,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
Taxis are not tipped jobs, and I reject your premise in its entirety.
What you mean to say here is that you don't tip taxi drivers, which is entirely different.

Tipping taxi drivers is quite common.

Old 05-06-2019, 03:07 AM

119 posts, read 37,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
What does rate you down mean? I sometimes tip in cash, but I rarely give any ratings, always able to get a ride.
Unlike traditional taxi rides, on each Lyft and Uber ride, you have to rate the driver at the end of the ride before requesting another ride, and the driver gets to rate you. Various factors the rider and driver get to rate each other on include safety, conversation/professionalism/just being nice, navigation with car cleanliness and comfort (rider on driver only). If you bad mouth the driver, even say something much offensive to the driver, you vomit or mess up his/her car (both Lyft and Uber assess a $250 clean up fee for such), you threaten the driver, you make the driver wait for you (more than 5 minutes, Uber charges wait fee, Lyft cancels ride), you optionally don't tip the driver, many driver will rate you down from 5 stars. There are clear cut factors for rating each other down, but some are subjective. 95% of drivers I rate 5-star, my rating with Uber is around 4.95, and Lyft only emails you if your rating is a perfect 5.0 which I get those emails from time to time. You can read the driver comments and complaints at https://uberpeople.net/forums/Ratings/ especially for driver stories, one recent post example https://uberpeople.net/threads/your-...engers.325884/

Old 05-06-2019, 03:16 AM

From my original post * 1 pt - Driver arrives at drop off point with no or minimal help 0 pts - Driver requires more than minimal assistance getting to *drop off* point (correction) minus 1-3 pts - If additional fare due to driver getting lost during trip or drop off

Old 05-06-2019, 07:14 AM

12,466 posts, read 5,952,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sprklcl View Post
Unlike traditional taxi rides, on each Lyft and Uber ride, you have to rate the driver at the end of the ride before requesting another ride, and the driver gets to rate you. Various factors the rider and driver get to rate each other on include safety, conversation/professionalism/just being nice, navigation with car cleanliness and comfort (rider on driver only). If you bad mouth the driver, even say something much offensive to the driver, you vomit or mess up his/her car (both Lyft and Uber assess a $250 clean up fee for such), you threaten the driver, you make the driver wait for you (more than 5 minutes, Uber charges wait fee, Lyft cancels ride), you optionally don't tip the driver, many driver will rate you down from 5 stars. There are clear cut factors for rating each other down, but some are subjective. 95% of drivers I rate 5-star, my rating with Uber is around 4.95, and Lyft only emails you if your rating is a perfect 5.0 which I get those emails from time to time. You can read the driver comments and complaints at https://uberpeople.net/forums/Ratings/ especially for driver stories, one recent post example https://uberpeople.net/threads/your-...engers.325884/
I was in Union Square SF recently and I called Uber near the BART station. Little did I know there was no parking stop there but Uber didnít tell me. 4-5 Uber cancelled it and the final guy made me walk and he had to wait, hence the waiting fee was charged. But I think itís Uberís fault. They should tell me to move to a better location.

Old 05-08-2019, 05:08 AM

17,810 posts, read 19,478,922 times
You don’t need to tip everyone that you use as a service.Do you tip the cashier at the supermarket or gas station? How about the usher at the movies? Your plumber or handyman? Your trash guy?

Why the f do we need to tip everyone for simply doing their job?

Old Yesterday, 04:37 PM

2,985 posts, read 4,178,612 times
I don't tip a % but will add on a couple of bucks or up to $5 for something extra like a stop at a 7-eleven.

I take a lot of very short trips, so if I see I a driver has spent a lot of time getting to me, only for fare of a few dollars, I will tip extra for that.

Old Today, 04:09 AM

Unlike other services where you may or may not tip, you are rated by stars, maximum 5 by your Uber or Lyft driver. It may not matter to you if use Lyft or Uber very infrequently. If you do use to some extent, your passenger rating determines how many drivers will accept you or not and the ease or not of getting a ride. Within 2 minutes (both Lyft and Uber allows you as a rider to cancel without penalty), I have at times rejected drivers with say a 4.6 or 4.7 rating (if below that, Lyft/Uber usually deactivates the driver from the platform). Likewise, the drivers deciding to accept your ride request can do the same to you, either past poor passenger behavior, and fairly or not, if you seldom or never tip (see uberpeople.net link above). Again, there is an extra burden of responsibility on the driver to get you to your destination safely without getting in an in accident, this may be more valued tipping wise in New York City or other congested urban or suburban traffic areas vs. you are riding in a slightly less populated area where risk of accidents is less.

Other tipping situations, I am more subjective.
1. On one occasion I tipped a commuter park and ride bus driver, though few of us got on the initial stop, that day around Christmas/holidays, I was the only person on the bus that day, and thankful over the weeks, the driver pulled up the to bus bay when arrived saving me from being out in the freezing cold for several minutes vs. waiting to last minute before departing to open the bus doors (I also learned, though a veteran and very good driver, he was not paid well by the bus contracting company). I gave him a one-time tip enclosed in a card with a note of appreciation.
2. The old postman before he retired was close to 100% perfect delivering my mail, so for years gave him a Christmas/holiday card with tip enclosed. The new mailman, not quite as good, so no tip.
3. Restaurants I usually start at 15%. If great service, more than that. If not so great, minimal tip, only a $1. Food/meal delivery, it depends on the distance the restaurant is from me. One next to my neighborhood, ok its cold outside, but the driver only has to come three blocks, so start with a 10-12% tip. For places 2-4 miles from me, start with 15%. More if great service. Once was in a hotel on business travel 7th floor with a sloooow elevator, gave delivery driver extra tip going through all that bringing food to my upper level hotel room door.
4. House cleaners, when use on occasion. If they do a decent job, I tip. Hotel maid service, $1-2 day.
5. Grocery delivery services, when use on occasion. Here locally Giant Peapod, I usually do $1 for every $20 of the order, so on a $100 order, that's $5. I may give more for exceptional service or much heavy or bulky items. Safeway drivers cannot accept tips, but they also charge higher prices.
6. Barber, generally $3 on a $17 haircut at the independent shop I use.
7. Home repair persons, only if they do an exceptional job.
8. Other workers I do not tip - cafeteria style places where food is not delivered to table, as remember at airport, place on receipt for optional tip. I opted not. I do not tip the trash guy, the hotel usher, the cashier. Some places or stores prohibit tipping.
For hotels, food delivery, Uber/Lyft/taxi, if on business travel, sometimes limited by company guidelines on business travel tipping for T&E reimbursement, but if exceptional service, I give out of my own pocket. Also tipping in general, sometimes constrained by cash on hand, usually round to nearest $1. In earlier days 2015-mid 2017, when the Uber app did not permit tipping and using them first couple of miles of my commute, gave driver dollar bills (usually), quarters, coins, and a non-commute trip where place going to had poor parking relative riding with me gave driver a couple of dollar coins (it was all had on hand at the moment).

Generally, it is lower paid workers who are tipped. Often their employer assumes that half of their income comes from tips. Not widespread, but handful of restaurants say no longer you have to tip their workers. Of course, that leads to higher prices. On the flip side, say at most restaurants, allowing you to tip if you choose gives you the flexibility for say 1/5 of the tab how much of that meal experience you choose to tip or not.

Last edited by sprklcl; Today at 04:24 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or