U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old Yesterday, 08:56 AM
 
Location: NJ
23,677 posts, read 29,841,303 times
Reputation: 15667

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
You think so? I would disagree. But if that's the way you want to look at it - fine. Good luck.
why would you disagree?

 
Old Yesterday, 09:26 AM
 
1,887 posts, read 2,919,657 times
Reputation: 2373
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Futures are over 400 points down...

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/u-sto...004818734.html
So? What's your point? You think any single President has control over the long term control over the stock market? Maybe in the 1800's, early 1900's, but not in modern times.

Settle your ideology down a bit and try studying the stock market a little more, and CNN a little less.

SS
Attached Thumbnails
Well Trump Just opened his yap again.  Get ready for a big down day in stocks tomorrow (May 6)-market.jpg  
 
Old Yesterday, 10:09 AM
 
Location: western East Roman Empire
6,474 posts, read 10,545,496 times
Reputation: 5491
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim1921 View Post
This thread has become mostly political, which is not allowed in the overall economics section. If people wish to debate political topics, there is a separate section on CD for this purpose.

Please refer to the sticky at the top of the economics section:

Political Posts
I left this the "economics" forum several years ago because it degenerated into political theater.

I browse back in every once in a while for a few laughs and this thread caught my attention.


Markets do their job. So, again, after reaching all-time highs, profit-takers were looking for an excuse, followed by bargain hunters, happens all the time.

Mass media headliners have to do their job too, hence focusing on the attention-grabbing excuse.

People with money to allocate can decide which of the two jobs is more valuable.


After a few twists and turns, the economy on US soil would re-adjust very nicely, thank you, if it wriggles out of unnecessary entanglements with China.

Do we really need to feed soybeans to Chinese pigs in exchange for junk consumer goods? They seem cheap, but what has been the real opportunity cost over the past 20 years or so?

Personally, I don't eat pork and I have no more room in my dwelling for junk consumer goods, I've have them up to here!

Good Laugh Mun!

Last edited by bale002; Yesterday at 10:20 AM..
 
Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM
Status: "Re-edit status" (set 16 days ago)
 
Location: Was Midvalley Oregon; Now Eastside Seattle area
3,786 posts, read 1,740,282 times
Reputation: 2895
^the Seekers with "I'll Never find Another you" 1965) is a better and more appropriate song. Fond memories
 
Old Yesterday, 12:34 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
6,832 posts, read 2,384,385 times
Reputation: 10627
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShakenStirred View Post
So? What's your point? You think any single President has control over the long term control over the stock market? Maybe in the 1800's, early 1900's, but not in modern times.
Not one person here or in any other discussion I've seen has claimed the President has "control" over the markets.

But any high-profile person who oversees major financial, corporate or government action most definitely has influence over the market; 99% of them (and of past Presidents) understand this and don't spew chunks that can destabilize trading and value.

Or maybe we should listen to every tweet from a twit who apparently leads all Americans in business losses.
 
Old Yesterday, 01:51 PM
 
Location: NJ
23,677 posts, read 29,841,303 times
Reputation: 15667
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
But any high-profile person who oversees major financial, corporate or government action most definitely has influence over the market; 99% of them (and of past Presidents) understand this and don't spew chunks that can destabilize trading and value.
i dont have a problem with him using this as a negotiating tactic with china. the hit to the market isnt his problem and not a problem for most investors.

like i said before, its not his job to avoid short term hits to the market. right now, he sees his job as negotiating a trade deal with china. i dont think it matters if he says something that causes the market to drop.
 
Old Yesterday, 02:08 PM
 
1,145 posts, read 398,979 times
Reputation: 3490
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
At this point I can only hope for a bounce back like yesterday. They say that presidents don't affect the markets. This one certainly does.
OP statement that futures are down was a fact; that it was because of someones tweet was opinion.
One can opine, hypothesize or make wild ass guesses, but in complex systems like markets, one rarely, if ever, 'knows' what will happen on a given day.. or why.

Look up the logical fallacy 'post hoc, propter hoc' and see why most so-called market 'experts' can't even beat the broad market indexes.
 
Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM
 
Location: Ohio
19,365 posts, read 13,998,996 times
Reputation: 15557
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
Alan Greenspan referred to the stock market as fickle, unpredictable. He saw no earthly reason for the big crash in 1987, and he saw no earthly reason for the stock market to skyrocket during the mid to late 90's. The stock market can find the most flimsy reason for it to go up or down.
That's because of irrational exuberance and irrational panic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
China is a master of meaningless negotiation, concealment of true motives and ability to maintain an illusion of progress while giving up absolutely nothing.
That would be a most excellent characterization.

The Chinese have taken Sun Tzu to a whole new level.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
Because I don't think he knows what he's doing & the long term effects could be severe.
There are no long-term effects.

According to Media Pundits, the Trade War™ was supposed to kill jobs and cause a recession.

It's been over a year and neither happened. In fact, just the opposite. The economy continues to grow and jobs are setting records.

By CPS, there 3,633,000 jobs added in 2018 and 1,746,000 from January through the present.

By CES, there 5,160,000 jobs added in 2018 and 2,126,00 from January through the present.

Not exactly seeing signs the Trade War™ is having a negative effect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redguard57 View Post
I did not start investing until late 2017. It's flat to me.
Perhaps you've chosen the wrong stocks or the wrong funds.

After all, it is the Dow Jones Industrial Average, not the Dow Jones Individual Stock-Pick.
 
Old Yesterday, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Aurora Denveralis
6,832 posts, read 2,384,385 times
Reputation: 10627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mircea View Post
According to Media Pundits, the Trade War™ was supposed to kill jobs and cause a recession.
Most tariffs have either not yet been implemented or have not been raised to threatened levels. Let's see where we go after tariffs are actually a significant, across the board factor.

But then, DJT is absolutely convinced that China is paying us those penalties. Absolutely jaw-dropping ignorance if it came from a junior C-level at a third-rate corporation; words fail adequate description that POTUS thinks this is how it works.
 
Old Yesterday, 03:16 PM
 
2,567 posts, read 1,651,105 times
Reputation: 5559
Let’s hope Trump doesn’t put China in an “untenable position”.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Closed Thread


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. | Please obey Forum Rules | Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top