Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 03:29 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,094,225 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Are you a day trader or something?

(Hint: You shouldn't be.)
No, I am not a day trader, but why do you ask?

Old 05-07-2019, 03:35 PM

27,227 posts, read 28,302,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
No, I am not a day trader, but why do you ask?
Because there is absolutely no reason to be concerned with short-term movements in the stock market.
They are meaningless.

You shouldn't even be looking at it.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Because there is absolutely no reason to be concerned with short-term movements in the stock market.
They are meaningless.

You shouldn't even be looking at it.
You think so? I would disagree. But if that's the way you want to look at it - fine. Good luck.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:36 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,778,542 times
But you have no idea that this is a short term move. The markets are forward looking and they don't like what the president is proposing.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:42 PM

10,004 posts, read 11,067,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
You think so? I would disagree. But if that's the way you want to look at it - fine. Good luck.
Why would you care if you dont day trade? Its not making sense. You even SAID you take advantage of dips..

Old 05-07-2019, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jp03 View Post
Why would you care if you dont day trade? Its not making sense. You even SAID you take advantage of dips..
I'm sorry if you only seeing black and white, but there are shades of gray and the effects of huge market ups and downs can go beyond day trading or long term investing.

Not making sense to you does not mean that it doesn't make sense.

Personally, being in withdrawal mode, I would prefer a smooth market without long downturns that are caused for irrational reasons.

Old 05-07-2019, 03:53 PM

6,584 posts, read 5,829,589 times
Today's correction may portend steeper drops later this week. Certainly, the China trade war is affecting the markets. The President's threats to impose more tariffs has had a depressing effect on the bull market initially, then as manufacturers accelerate their relocation of plants from China to SE Asia or back to the U.S., the economy simply absorbs the impact and resumes growth.

The tariff situation is baked in to the markets at this point. Would we have more buoyant markets if the trade war ended? Probably, because markets don't like uncertainty. But in a way, they are not really facing that much uncertainty right now. We are pretty certain what the President wants to do and is doing, and we are pretty certain how the Chinese are responding. Not much mystery there.

Manufacturers' reports in the last month or so are suggesting increases in raw materials supplies, slow-down in manufacturing driven largely by lack of qualified employees and by seasonal factors. Several indices in the stock markets suggest that only a few very large companies like Apple are driving the bull market, while there is a broad array of smaller companies that are treading water right now.

I would not be surprised if we slip into recession in the next 6-8 months, perhaps sooner. The Chinese no doubt are watching carefully; if they can resist coming to an agreement on trade and protectionism, they can deny the U.S. president a victory, maintain fear and uncertainty in the markets, maybe even push the U.S. into recession, and weaken his prospects for reelection.

The flip side of this is that it also weakens the Chinese markets. Of course, they don't have to worry about elections. But long term, they have to maintain high economic growth, or their large populace becomes unruly. I've been there, and there is a seething anger beneath the surface that stays repressed so long as times are good. If too many factories close and relocate to Vietnam, Malaysia, or Mexico, and if "Buy American" becomes more than a fringe notion, China's going to be in big trouble.

And here's another vote to keep politics out of an economics topic. Of course when the title is "well trump just opened his yap", you can expect a few Trump bashers to come out of the woodwork. All this talk about flat markets makes no sense to me; my retirement accounts are way up since the 2016 election and continue to do well.

Old 05-07-2019, 04:00 PM

1,064 posts, read 612,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
But you have no idea that this is a short term move. The markets are forward looking and they don't like what the president is proposing.
There have always been things that have caused stock price movements. Based on history, it only impacts you if you are a short term trader of stock. Stock prices have not only recovered; but have continued to grow in the long term. If you are not a day trader, ignore the noise. It is a waste of time.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:58 PM

7,822 posts, read 11,709,763 times
Futures are green for tomorrow, so at the moment we should assume today is just a garden variety pull back.

Old 05-08-2019, 09:50 AM

7,822 posts, read 11,709,763 times
I support Trump in this regard.. it was the Chinese that backtracked on everything. I think it's high time we did something about the rampant theft of our assets. Looks like the Chinese don't understand diplomacy and only a harsh response will do the trick. Sending the entire draft full of deletions to agreed upon terms is an outrage.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/05/08/chin...l-sources.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics