U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2019, 02:47 PM

18,306 posts, read 7,084,204 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Qwan View Post
How is Walmart taking all this automation and internet innovation?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MXmS13FPOIo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRJV1SPYpIE&t=184s

quite well
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2019, 02:54 PM

18,575 posts, read 13,325,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Lol sure break the law is same as buying at Walmart. You must be a politician?

Hes plays the martyr against all his perceived injustices within a capitalist system

Old 05-11-2019, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnhw2 View Post
Lol sure break the law is same as buying at Walmart. You must be a politician?
He is hilarious.

Old 05-11-2019, 03:48 PM

6,356 posts, read 7,706,504 times
Each Walmart is certainly different in terms of ambiance. The one nearest my home was wonderful. Helpful floor staff, nice cashiers, completely tidy. The produce was surprisingly more appealing and often cheaper than in the nearby grocery stores like Lowe's Harris Teeter, Food Lion, Publix.

But then I went to a store that serves Chapel Hill, a University town, and it was decidedly less friendly with lots of missing stock and staff that watched like they were on active lookout for shoplifters. Two different vibes, maybe because of different clientele or maybe because of different management.

In general though, both were busy and definitely selling stuff that people wanted. In many areas WalMart is the only store with all the oddball products of an old fashioned Five and Dime, a tiny furniture store, a general merchantile, a garden shop, a meat and grocery store, etc. We are lucky to have them and they never seem to lack for people who want to work there.

Old 05-11-2019, 03:53 PM

6,424 posts, read 7,962,303 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
I can only conclude that 50 years ago, this crowd would have been vehemently defending Dow Chemicals, because they were so profitable and employed so many people.
Yeah they weren't as smart as you, they didn't waste them money for atmosphere or mom and pop places.Where did you get that fake science degree, you know political science.? Id move to Venezuela if I felt like you. I hear it is a great place for capital bashes. And no walmart to insult your sense of what I am not sure.

The reason you have time to debate this crap is those hard labor jobs and farming were mechanized by the fossil fuel you hate and ignore what it has done for you

Old 05-11-2019, 04:01 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQ0LIAtYJx0

Neat prototype of future for Wal Mart shopping.

Old 05-12-2019, 05:49 AM

6,617 posts, read 1,655,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
We get it. Falling Prices can do no wrong.
I suppose if you are a wealthy liberal and you source all the food you purchases and everything you buy is organic, free range and GMO free then you don't have any use for Walmart or low prices.

But poor and working class people as well as people from all income levels who want to save money. Well for all of them low prices do matter. For some it is survival.

And regarding Walmart killing competition. All big box stores have killed small business. Including all the national chains of restaurants, clothing, home improvement and stores like Walmart. We let it happen by choosing those retailers and politicians of both parties eagerly streamlined it with NAFTA and granting China full access to our market. And a decade of low interest rates and rising stock prices have fueled the available capital for expansion which has furthered the demise of small business. But none of the norm from 20 or more years ago is coming back.

Why is Walmart the biggest villain? Because they are better at it than anyone else.

And everything keeps changing. Now Amazon and to a lesser degree Walmart are taking on big box retail with online sales. Eventually the advantages of automation will make retail shopping all but obsolete. So the mom and pop stores were never going to survive long term. If not for Walmart for AI.

Last edited by Oklazona Bound; 05-12-2019 at 06:02 AM..

Old 05-12-2019, 07:33 AM

10,989 posts, read 7,462,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
I picked-up an online-order from Walmart.com inside a store. I used one of the kiosks and my order came to me very quickly, impressive.
Those automated tower kiosks are great. So much better than waiting for a person to show up and then go look for your package.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:36 AM

10,989 posts, read 7,462,546 times
I think Walmart is doing fine. I go to a local one that is really good and has a great supermarket and it's busy. I love the new self check out areas since I like to bag my fridge and freezer items as I like to put those away as soon as I get home and I can leave the non perishable things for later.

In my area i have seen some prices come down but that may be locally since I'm in south Florida and the snowbirds left.

I think they will have problems with the China tariffs since so much of what they sell if made there so they will have to raise prices or lower their profit margin on some things if people won't buy it and Trump doesn't care that his tariffs hurt farmers and consumers and it's just a tax on the working class.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:10 AM

6,101 posts, read 5,820,833 times
I'm not worried about WalMart. They own Jet.com which has some deep discounts. And the WalMart web site has prices as good as Amazon sometimes better. far better than anything you'll find in their stores.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics