U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 09:38 PM

4,440 posts, read 3,009,705 times

Advertisements

I have walmart stock. I don't generally shop there though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 07:05 AM

3,771 posts, read 2,663,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
There are multiple levels of consumer tracking. The one most relevant as an example here is anonymous shopper tracking, where individuals are followed by (fairly crude, at the moment) AI using the scads of cameras found in most big stores these days, and then tagged when they check out. It's nice when they can put an identity on an individual with this system, but just tracking the movements and then the purchases of Shopper X-3241 generates useful data.
This has absolutely nothing to do with tracking my spending choices personally as a club card would.

I'm sure it helps in store design, product placements and efficiency, which are all great ways to help the customer.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:13 AM

3,771 posts, read 2,663,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Lots of great prices, shampoo, toothpaste, paper products, soft drinks, etc. Why pay more? It serves no useful purpose to anyone to pay more, for the same products.

A retailer's job is to minimize the cost passed to the consumer after buying the product, as a retailer is just a middleman.

WM rocks at cutting costs.

I and 150 million weekly USA shoppers at WM approve.
I agree with you. And our Walmarts have fresher produce and eggs than all the surrounding grocery stores. Why would anyone pay higher prices for staler foods, same exact brands? Makes no sense to me.

Much of the Hate Walmart propaganda is driven by unions who want dues from all the WM employees.

Old 05-15-2019, 07:54 AM

6,435 posts, read 7,974,774 times
WalMart stores in my area are all fine, not dismal or any of the adjectives used to described by some which are true I am sure. It is not fancy, it is low price, it is not like robbing my neighbor as one claimed. It is convenient and low prices and stocks the foods I like.

There 5 Super Walmarts within 5 miles of my house. I wake up early and can shop at 4am when I want to at these big stores. For convenience there is a WalMart neighborhood market half a mile from my house for things needs quickly or easy to drop by when I am out. There are three Sans Club stores within 4.5 miles of my house, I find their products great value but not a place I can find any where near everything I want. But their prices beat the Super Walmarts on a per oz or sheet of paper stand point. The price of gasoline and cash back on their credit card makes it a go to place one a week or so at least.

Within less than 5 miles, I have Market Street, Whole Foods, Kroger, Aldi, Sprouts, Trader Joe's, Tom Thumb, Central Markets so my options are huge. We are Costco members too, there are two stores of theirs in my city and another two less than 6 miles from my home. So I use these other stores for a few items we like better but my go to store is WalMart options

In my area WalMart has lead the charge on ordering online and pick up at the store shopping option. Others have added this feature following WalMarts lead. The Sams Club I go to most has a covered carport full of vans each morning early picking up things for catering and restaurants and other businesses where Sam's Club shopped for them. That makes the stores successful but less crowded. I find their self checkout option super easy to use and my prefered way to check out.

There is nothing I dislike about WalMart stores.

Old 05-15-2019, 08:49 AM

7,206 posts, read 2,512,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post
This has absolutely nothing to do with tracking my spending choices personally as a club card would.
Nope, not at all.

There's another dozen practices to take care of that.

Quote:
I'm sure it helps in store design, product placements and efficiency, which are all great ways to help the customer.
There is absolutely nothing about consumer tracking that benefits consumers.

But believe as you wish.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:06 PM

36,734 posts, read 45,088,133 times
I heard today that Walmart is going after Amazon, by offering one day shipping without a membership fee like Amazon Prime. I do not shop at Walmart in person because the ambiance and customer service is lacking, but I have no problem with their products, or ordering online from them.

Old 05-15-2019, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I heard today that Walmart is going after Amazon, by offering one day shipping without a membership fee like Amazon Prime.
And Amazon is moving steadily into local sales and delivery, mostly without B&M stores. So they can do same-day/short-term delivery without the overhead of stores no one wants to go into.

I know which model I'd bet on.

Old 05-15-2019, 06:07 PM

18,357 posts, read 7,105,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karag View Post

much of the hate walmart propaganda is driven by unions who want dues from all the wm employees.
bingo

Old 05-15-2019, 09:53 PM

2,935 posts, read 739,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
bingo
No bingo.

Walmart has quite literally shut down stores that stood a very significant chance of becoming unionized. Despite select stores becoming slightly less profitable, they decide to cut off their nose to spite their face.

Revenue at each location is remarkably high, with the average store raking in 4x the tax value of the combined building and lot annually.

If they're crying about razor thin margins, maybe their model needs to evolve into a little more "big box store" (about halfway to being one of their Sam's Club stores) minus the membership fees.

Old 05-16-2019, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddm2k View Post
Walmart has quite literally shut down stores that stood a very significant chance of becoming unionized. Despite select stores becoming slightly less profitable, they decide to cut off their nose to spite their face.
The Waltons are hip-deep in noses.

That anyone can be aware of their business history and think they are wonderful because you can buy cheap razors there is... boggling. It's admitting you're fine with selling out as long as you get your cheap prizes. Enjoy your cheap, Chinese-made pottage, folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics