U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:47 PM

6,785 posts, read 2,372,854 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Nonsense, as what makes it rare is 100% fired rate.
Since they're merging operations with another paper, it's not inexplicable.

The Post fired nearly all of its staff and hired some more experienced in bloggy delivery, and then much of the remaining staff quit. Close enough to 100%, and it's not the only case.

Newspapers have become the industry of the decade to buy, gut for profit and leave for dead. Unfortunately, they are arguably more important than the average retailer or widget-maker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:48 PM

6,785 posts, read 2,372,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcfas View Post
Whatís truly concerning is the impact on our society if we lose the free press. Troubling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
I know. If we lose the very responsible press that is truly trying to be unbiased.
Quote:
Its a tiny minority in an industry now full of bias.
Great indoctrination you're showing there, Bob. Someone should give you a medal for it.

Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM

18,240 posts, read 7,050,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post

In once sense, you're absolutely correct. Newspapers' survival hinged on one thing and one thing only: Being the indispensable source of local news and information. Unfortunately, newspaper management and the newsrooms alike were slow to understand that. .
Great post. As a man raised Roman Catholic, I adored the movie Spotlight. As a Fordham University grad whose radio station and alumni are known well in news circles, I was even more enamored the Boston Globe management got it. One could easily argue a city its size would lose the Globe as it was long run (terms of staff size) w/o the decades long Spotlight Team. RCC story came into its lens over a decade past its inception.

I fully agree newspapers run in a dumb manner-ignoring the business they are, but while counter-intuitive, long-term expensive investments like the f/t SpotLight team are what can save major US papers.

NY times, pre 2000, also would allow 4-6 reporters to spend MONTHS on a single story in analogous ways to Globe's RCC story, and with equal pages devoted to it when ready.

But to fund a SpotLight, it first takes a management team with the guts and the track record to show short-term investors why their long-term success is tied directly to less steallar short-term profits.

PS: But we also must acknowledge the shameless behavior of the newsprint media in the 2016 campaign as DNC puppets are also making their bad business situation far worse. A.M. Rosenthal would have properly fired the entire times staff engaged in those horrific practices. In doing so, he would have helped the Times for generations. Unbiased is not conditional on opinions. You are either an unbiased journalist, or a trashy journalist.

Last edited by BobNJ1960; Yesterday at 08:16 PM..

Old Yesterday, 08:10 PM

5,142 posts, read 2,122,612 times
Quote:
Great post. As a man raised Roman Catholic, I adored the movie Spotlight. As a Fordham University grad whose radio station and alumni are known well in news circles, I was even more enamored the Boston Globe management got it. One could easily argue a city its size would lose the Globe as it was long run (terms of staff size) w/o the decades long Spotlight Team. RCC story came into its lens over a decade past its inception.

I fully agree newspapers run in a dumb manner-ignoring the business they are, but while counter-intuitive, long-term expensive investments like the f/t SpotLight team are what can save major US papers.

NY times, pre 2000, also would allow 4-6 reporters to spend MONTHS on a single story in analogous ways to Globe's RCC story, and with equal pages devoted to it when ready.

But to fund a SpotLight, it first takes a management team with the guts and the track record to show short-term investors why their long-term success is tied directly to less steallr short-term profits.

PS: But we also must acknowledge the shameless behavior of the newsprint media in the 2016 campaign as DNC puppets are also making their bad business situation far worse. A.M. Rosenthal would have properly fired the entire times staff engaged in those horrific practices. In doing so, he would have helped the Times for generations. Unbiased is not conditional on opinions. You are either an unbiased journalist, or a trashy journalist.

Agreed on everything you wrote. Finley Dunne wrote in 1893, “The job of the newspaper is to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.” Milquetoast editorials and reluctance to rock the boat make for dull reading. And dull reading is death to a paper.

Old Yesterday, 09:23 PM

881 posts, read 374,122 times
One consequence of the long-term trend toward single-paper monopolies in so many major cities: people who would like to receive a daily paper simply refuse to buy or read the single remaining paper.

Politico recently did a story about the Des Moines Register, where the daily circulation was once 250,000 and now is less than 60,000. As the paper became a more consistently Democratic paper, it lost readers who tended toward the right and the center. And once a reader is lost it's almost impossible to get him or her back.

Old Today, 01:17 AM

6,529 posts, read 3,688,878 times
Quote:
Nonsense, as what makes it rare is 100% fired rate.

The bought usually retain some staff. Even the NY Daily News, so putrid a business, it was last sold for $1, retained much of the staff that took them into dire financial times.
I would submit that it was not the staff that took the paper into "dire financial times" but rather management decisions intended to serve not their readers but themselves.

Old Today, 02:20 AM

3,972 posts, read 1,468,531 times
I worked at a radio station that fired every member of its staff (including me). That was also in New Orleans, but it was not an uncommon experience.

I doubt if there are a dozen cities left in the US that still have two competing newspapers.

Old Today, 04:19 AM

5,740 posts, read 3,220,555 times
“The Newhouse family has a net worth of over $12 billion, but they were not willing to use some of that fortune to save a major daily newspaper.”

I fail to see how their net worth factors into the need to bail out a failing newspaper.

Old Today, 04:25 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

16,792 posts, read 32,978,498 times
It's getting to the point where we'll have major cities in this country where there won't be a single reporter covering city council and local courts as a beat. And having government that operates in a vacuum is bad for the people who live in those cities. Voters there won't be able to make informed decisions at election time. They'll just have to rely on campaign ads.

Just because the ad market dried up doesn't mean the need for journalism dried up.

Old Today, 05:45 AM

5,039 posts, read 5,699,610 times
Great post MinivanDriver - all so true. Itís a business like any other and one thing we see in every sort of field is businesses that adapt and ones that die out. Even when you look at celebrities, which ones are able to hang around for decades and which ones become yesterdayís news and a trivia question about where are they now? Blockbuster couldnít understand Netflix and by the time they tried to respond, it was way too late and feeble beyond belief.

In a general sense I donít feel sorry for most businesses at all because I am glad whenever a lousy, old company goes belly up because a better new company fills their place. The free market is beautiful in the same way nature is beautiful, even if itís seeing a lion eating a gazelle. With journalism though, it is a tough one because if people wonít pay for great reporting, they wonít get it. A lot of newspapers are now owned by a large local businessman and they wonít report anything unfavorable to that person or his company. It creates a conflict of interest that only multiple media outlets could possibly fix.

For me and maybe many younger people, I donít like reading anything thatís not on a screen. Even books I just donít like the feel of paper and trying to hold open a book, I like to scroll a digital screen and digitally highlight key passages or make digital notes I can access later and all taking up zero physical space. Thatís how I want to consume my news, too. Not messy, inky papers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics