U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 05:59 AM

5,158 posts, read 2,127,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonathanLB View Post

For me and maybe many younger people, I donít like reading anything thatís not on a screen. Even books I just donít like the feel of paper and trying to hold open a book, I like to scroll a digital screen and digitally highlight key passages or make digital notes I can access later and all taking up zero physical space. Thatís how I want to consume my news, too. Not messy, inky papers.

In truth, reading a newspaper is actually better. Read your news digitally and you get what the algorithms think you should get. Read a newspaper, and you're actually forced to peruse the stories, thereby reading about things that you normally wouldn't. This is why, by the way, I think people are so politically polarized nowadays. They get their news spoon-fed to them based on what they previously read, in effect creating an echo chamber for their own political viewpoints.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 10:25 AM

613 posts, read 140,942 times
If anyone needs an example of why working hard is dumb, look no further.
Look at how your treated.

Old Yesterday, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowpacked View Post
If anyone needs an example of why working hard is dumb, look no further.
Look at how your treated.

The only thing dumb is this comment. In a changing economy, if your business is no longer viable with a bloated payroll, you either cut payroll or close down. Either way, a bunch of people lose their jobs. The only question is how many and when.

The object lesson is the exact opposite: Work your butt off by getting better at your job and developing contacts and side hustles. Just blithely going into the office every day and doing the same job without developing new skills or investing in professional development is a surefire recipe for a career on the rocks. And one other thing, if you as an employee do not feel personally responsible for contributing to the profit and loss of the company, then your days are numbered. I don't care what you do.

I mean, my wife is a CFO at a company. When she took the slot three years, it was an underperforming department that the previous CFO had basically let slide. There were senior people on the accounting staff who had been there for years and had never learned anything beyond the basics of Excel. I mean, these were people earning $100,000 a year who spent their days keying and rekeying data into spreadsheets because they had been too damned lazy to learn how to make their primary professional tool work harder. My wife isn't the kind of person who runs the equivalent of a Viking slave ship, but she does expect productivity. The term 'lethargic' was how she described people in the first three months of working there.

She laid down the law and told everyone to get skills training PDQ and ultimately canned the one guy who refused. I'm sure that guy is out there kvetching about how badly corporate America screwed him when, in truth, he was a drain on the system. Today, her department runs like a machine and the company is way more profitable than it was. Oh, and her department is way happier as well. Fatter bonus checks will do that for you.

I mean, hell, I worked in a major daily in the early 80s while in college. Even then I knew the industry was in trouble. While I feel completely sorry for the people in the newsroom who lost their jobs, someone please tell me how it was ultimately a big surprise. If you worked at a newspaper over the past 15 years and weren't constantly updating your resumes, connecting with the outside community, and developing skills far beyond your beat assignment, then you are going to suffer when the axe finally falls.

Last edited by MinivanDriver; Yesterday at 11:03 AM..

Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM

6,832 posts, read 2,384,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
ďThe Newhouse family has a net worth of over $12 billion, but they were not willing to use some of that fortune to save a major daily newspaper.Ē

I fail to see how their net worth factors into the need to bail out a failing newspaper.
Goodness, no. It's unthinkable that billionaires should put any of their hard-earned money back into a structure that earned it for them, especially when it might benefit other people.

Old Yesterday, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Goodness, no. It's unthinkable that billionaires should put any of their hard-earned money back into a structure that earned it for them, especially when it might benefit other people.

The Newhouses aren't the brightest bulbs in the chandelier. By the time they actually recognized how deep their hole was, it was pointless to throw good money after bad. I mean, all you have to do is look at their digital properties to realize how inept they are at business.

What's more, that $12 billion isn't lying around in stacks of cash in their living rooms like a Richie Rich comic book. More likely it's in assets such as stocks, other corporate entities, and real estate.

Old Yesterday, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
The Newhouses aren't the brightest bulbs in the chandelier. By the time they actually recognized how deep their hole was, it was pointless to throw good money after bad.
So does that mitigate or compound their failure as... citizens?

Quote:
What's more, that $12 billion isn't lying around in stacks of cash in their living rooms like a Richie Rich comic book. More likely it's in assets such as stocks, other corporate entities, and real estate.
Oh, fa chrissakes. Nothing about this kind of situation assumes they have a couple of mil in their pocket to drop in a company's tin cup. With perfectly standard financial practices they could have pumped a billion into the paper in a matter of days, had it been necessary.

Old Yesterday, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Oh, fa chrissakes. Nothing about this kind of situation assumes they have a couple of mil in their pocket to drop in a company's tin cup. With perfectly standard financial practices they could have pumped a billion into the paper in a matter of days, had it been necessary.

Why? It's the media equivalent of a buggy whip factory.

Old Yesterday, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
Why? It's the media equivalent of a buggy whip factory.
Other papers have evolved into effective multimedia news platforms without turning into clickbait blogs living and dying by their ad revenue.

Old Yesterday, 12:27 PM

13,641 posts, read 9,709,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
There's no market at all currently for respectful, unbiased journalism. At all.
You may disagree, but I doubt that there was ever a time in American history that the press was respectful and unbiased journalism.

Worse, they've been minions of the propaganda ministry for centuries.

Easy to prove. Ask ten Americans:
1) What's the difference between a dollar bill (federal reserve note) and a dollar (silver coin, stamped pursuant to the Coinage Act of 1792)?
2) When the Emergency was declared in 1933, what was the cause?
3) What's the difference between a democracy, a republic and a republican form of government?
4) What's the difference between an inhabitant with a domicile, versus a resident residing at a residence?
5) What law compels participation in Social Security / FICA?
- - - -

1) One's a worthless IOU and the other is worth $1. (See Coinage Act of 1792, et seq)
2) U.S. went bankrupt, repudiated redeeming their notes with lawful money (HJR 192, June 1933; Gold Reserve Act of 1934)
3) In a democracy, a majority can legally persecute a minority. In a republic, all citizens can participate in government. In a republican form, all people have inherent rights that government was instituted to secure, and can only govern by consent of the governed.
4) A domicile is a permanent, legal home. A residence is less than a domicile.
5) No law compels participation, lest it violate the 13th amendment. It's 100% voluntary.

In all my years, I have never, ever seen one newspaper report address these points of fact and law.

Old Yesterday, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Other papers have evolved into effective multimedia news platforms without turning into clickbait blogs living and dying by their ad revenue.

Yes, but that would require imagination, something that's in short supply at Newhouse. Their online component is dreadful and hasn't changed appreciably in 15 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics