U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 12:21 PM

5,167 posts, read 2,132,068 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
IMO, the quality of traditional journalism has been going down hill for the last several years. Misspellings, bad grammar, leaving out important information (who, what, when, where) etc. Of course, I only know about our local paper.

That's because they got rid of the copy desk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 12:24 PM

6,857 posts, read 2,396,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
That's because they got rid of the copy desk.
Kind of yes and no. Experienced editors and reporters didn't need their spelling and grammar fixed, just proofed.

The general lowering of literacy and the shortening of the editorial chain (down to direct entry online like a blog) both contribute to the lousy writing in most smaller and not a few larger papers.

Old Today, 12:41 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,109,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MinivanDriver View Post
To be truthful, my involvement with them felt like something out of Waiting For Godot. Just three long years of bad decisions and great ideas torpedoed by know-nothings. These were people who shouldn't have been entrusted with a box of kitchen matches, let alone the operation of any large media conglomerate. When it came time to potentially renew my contract, I named an exorbitant price with the full expectation that they would throw up, thereby ending the relationship voluntarily. Life's too short.

I cannot tell you how many times I heard the phrase, "Well, that's how we always have done it." And when I would point out that how they've always done it was hemorrhaging readers, you'd have thought I said something distasteful.

Newspapers do have some smart people working for them, but those were the exceptions. Instead from the editors to the circulation department to advertising sales to the publisher up in his parquet-lined office, the personnel was mostly a bunch of cyphers with a few sad misfits of decent ability who could think beyond their daily to-do list. So if you have a building filled to the rafters with tactical thinkers who can't look ahead further than the Sunday edition, you really aren't going to be up to facing the strategic challenges of a changing media landscape.
I was one of the ad sales rank and file and I have to say that most of us were frustrated on a daily basis with the "that's how we've always done it" attitude. We tried and tried to get management to modernize procedures and it was like talking to a brick wall. They were all in lockstep with the leadership from the top down. Every one of them would quake in their boots and Kowtow to the Newhouse brothers on their regular visits. No one in management would dare to admit to the formidable threat that was the internet and carried on as normal. By the time they woke up, they were forced to offer buyouts, cut salaries and benefits and make sure the Newhouses stayed filthy rich.

We underlings had a joke amongst us that there should be a sign hanging over the front entrance stating "Abandon Logic, All Ye Who Enter Here". Eleven years after leaving, I still have nightmares about the incredibly inept leadership. One highlight was the bright new savior, the Ad Director, who thought the way to motivate a roomful of adults was that we'd be rewarded by him riding around the office on a tricycle if we made a certain sales goal. That was the beginning of the end for me. I was so insulted to be treated like a 4th grader.

Old Today, 04:27 PM

4,581 posts, read 2,458,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaraC View Post
This is interesting. My grandmother was a newspaper reporter her whole life, with the highest of journalistic ethics.

When she died fairly recently the executor of her will had some discretion as to some of the charity money. The executor suggested establishing a scholarship for students going into journalism who can continue the tradition of respectable journalist.

The rest of us said no, there's no market for that. We'd be sending a student down a path where there are no jobs.

We put that charity money into animal rescue instead.

There's no market at all currently for respectful, unbiased journalism. At all.
What did your grandmother specify in her will? It was her money. As an intelligent woman with a journalism background, surely she told people what she wanted, either in her will or during her lifetime.

Old Today, 04:42 PM

3,421 posts, read 5,109,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
What did your grandmother specify in her will? It was her money. As an intelligent woman with a journalism background, surely she told people what she wanted, either in her will or during her lifetime.
She could not have known what would happen to her beloved profession. Were it me, I might have given the money to the ACLU instead. Still, her heirs made the best decision they could. Totally support them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics