Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2019, 06:02 PM

5,907 posts, read 4,429,920 times

Advertisements

Howard Beale is not pleased.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2019, 06:16 PM

34,041 posts, read 17,056,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post

Oh, fa chrissakes. Nothing about this kind of situation assumes they have a couple of mil in their pocket to drop in a company's tin cup. With perfectly standard financial practices they could have pumped a billion into the paper in a matter of days, had it been necessary.
That would not be prudent, nor their obligation.

Old 05-07-2019, 06:33 PM

5,477 posts, read 6,300,839 times
Unemployed reports? Sounds like a good start to me!

Old 05-07-2019, 06:39 PM

5,869 posts, read 4,208,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjames68 View Post
“The Newhouse family has a net worth of over $12 billion, but they were not willing to use some of that fortune to save a major daily newspaper.”
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo View Post
Just because the ad market dried up doesn't mean the need for journalism dried up.

Their purpose for investing in the paper was not to bail it out when it failed. It was to increase the family fortune.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:56 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Of course the worse thing about newspapers is that are inevitably late with much of the news. While they are telling us about who is to be in the horse race, we know the race has already ended and we're wanting to know who won. Then the next day, if the newspaper didn't like the particular horse who won, we may have to go buy another paper to find out. Manipulated algorithms have simply replaced biased editors but nothing has replaced the things we called owners.

However, as I continue to see in the automobile and music forums, the "new" is always supposed to better than the "old." At any rate, the "new" is certainly faster but only time and honest history will tell if it that is true or not.

Old 05-07-2019, 08:04 PM

11,025 posts, read 7,836,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by High_Plains_Retired View Post
Of course the worse thing about newspapers is that are inevitably late with much of the news. While they are telling us about who is to be in the horse race, we know the race has already ended and we're wanting to know who won. Then the next day, if the newspaper didn't like the particular horse who won, we may have to go buy another paper to find out. Manipulated algorithms have simply replaced biased editors but nothing has replaced the things we called owners.

However, as I continue to see in the automobile and music forums, the "new" is always supposed to better than the "old." At any rate, the "new" is certainly faster but only time and honest history will tell if it that is true or not.
Sounds like something coming from someone who is satisfied with a minimal amount of information. I prefer to get much more detail, a few days of follow up and possible point of view essays by columnists. I rarely see a piece on television or a capsule online that does not provoke more questions. And I never need to go buy another paper - there's one in my driveway every morning.

Old 05-08-2019, 07:46 AM

10,501 posts, read 7,034,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cebuan View Post
Their purpose for investing in the paper was not to bail it out when it failed. It was to increase the family fortune.

People don't get that. I mean, companies should take care of their employees. But eventually, you have to cut your losses. Newhouse lacks the vision or wherwithal to completely overhaul the family biz into a cutting-edge media juggernaut. Asking them to throw good money after bad is just, well, naive.

Two or three generations from now, the Newhouse fortune will likely have evaporated into dissolute living, petty family squabbles, and malinvestment in fly-by-night schemes by family scions who are in love with their big ideas but lack the worth ethic or brains to actually pull it off.

Old 05-08-2019, 08:30 AM

13,262 posts, read 8,022,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNJ1960 View Post
Its a tiny minority in an industry now full of bias.

Serious question...what metropolitan newspaper ISN'T biased? I live in the St. Louis metro area, and the St. Louis Post Dispatch definitely leans left.

And...IMO, it's pretty much irrelevant. We all have access to 24 hr. news.

Old 05-08-2019, 03:30 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kokonutty View Post
Sounds like something coming from someone who is satisfied with a minimal amount of information. I prefer to get much more detail, a few days of follow up and possible point of view essays by columnists. I rarely see a piece on television or a capsule online that does not provoke more questions. And I never need to go buy another paper - there's one in my driveway every morning.
If your newspaper were to print the amount of news I peruse everyday on the internet, it would be so encyclopedic and you'd need a forklift to bring it back to your living room and a NYC landfill to dispose of a week's subscription. Newspapers are as archaic to the internet as stone tablets were to newspapers.

Reminds me of my grandpa who loved Studebakers into the 1960s simply because he remembered them being hot cars in the 1920s.

Old 05-08-2019, 04:23 PM

8,712 posts, read 6,758,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassybluesy View Post
And...IMO, it's pretty much irrelevant. We all have access to 24 hr. news.
Which has substituted quality, depth and integrity for "the maximum amount of crap we can repeat the most quickly."

Newspapers - traditional journalism - always had two arms, fast reporting of daily events, and long-term investigation of serious issues and complex situations. The latter has all but vanished on our continuous rating- and click-driven news cycle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics