U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 05:03 PM

8,818 posts, read 3,853,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke944 View Post
The meltdown of 2008 has been "fixed" with quantitative easing - adding new fiat out of thin air and adding it to the deficit to delay the inevitable REAL meltdown to come. This was 1 year before bitcoin was created, which owes 100% of its current value to the fear of said meltdown that is coming. 2008 was a wake up call, and anyone who thinks it was something in the past that we "got through" is dreaming.
QE was only part of the Feds recovery programs.

Many other $T's were created short term to help alleviate the crisis world wide.

$29,000,000,000,000: A Detailed Look at the Fed?s Bailout by Funding Facility and Recipient | Levy Economics Institute

The Fed created money out of thin air to buy Treasuries with QE, and the bulk of the related interest was/is swept back to the Treasury, almost as if the Treasuries were never created in the first place. So the purchase adds to the national debt number, but not the total federal interest payments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 07:20 PM

1,762 posts, read 488,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoonose View Post
QE was only part of the Feds recovery programs.

Many other $T's were created short term to help alleviate the crisis world wide.

$29,000,000,000,000: A Detailed Look at the Fed?s Bailout by Funding Facility and Recipient | Levy Economics Institute

The Fed created money out of thin air to buy Treasuries with QE, and the bulk of the related interest was/is swept back to the Treasury, almost as if the Treasuries were never created in the first place. So the purchase adds to the national debt number, but not the total federal interest payments.
The system got fooked the minute Nixon took us off the gold standard. Reagan popped the cork, and now it's completely off the rails.
The people voted in an actor, and this is what it's led to. Fake money, fake economy, fake everything. God help us.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:27 PM

Quote:
The system got fooked the minute Nixon took us off the gold standard. Reagan popped the cork, and now it's completely off the rails.
Studying modern money IMO it was inevitable. As such we forever remain resource constrained, but not money constrained. No modern and successful nation relies on gold or uses it as currency. Gold is simply not flexible enough to accommodate modern economies.

Old 05-12-2019, 08:19 PM

1,762 posts, read 488,707 times
Blah blah blah. There is no way to color what Reagan started and the now trillion of fake money added to the deficit every year anything other that theft and scam.
The lame economy under Carter was honest, the history after that is all a fake house of cards ready to fall anytime.

Old 05-12-2019, 09:47 PM

6,675 posts, read 1,666,108 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heart84 View Post
I love how all of these documentaries are always hindsight 20/20. You don't see these types of documentaries questioning or warning about present policy. Nothing has substantively changed since 2008-2009. Central banks have created a smokescreen by injecting trillions in artificial liquidity while manipulating interest rates to record low levels in human history.

This type of "experiment" has never been tried before. But what is important to note is it did nothing to address any root causes of 2008-2009. All it did was encourage more reckless debts to be placed on the books with ZIRP because the cost to service debt was/is so cheap. When the reckoning day hits it is going to be one hell of a crash, and I think that reckoning day starts to be seen before the 2020 election. And then what are the central banks going to do with interest rates still near historic lows?

Buckle up! And just to note, I was long equities basically all the way up until the yield curve inverting. Now aside from just a few beaten down stocks I picked up recently, I am in UUP/cash.

I was heavily into real estate investing until about mid 2006. Prices were too out of whack where I was (Arizona) and I knew people who were flipping undeveloped lots as well as the liar loans that were going on. I got out a little early but I know many who did not at all and got squashed.

I expected a big price drop in housing prices but had no idea it would lead to the economic crash.

That being said this whole experiment in near zero interest rates and all the liquidity out there is bound to come back to haunt us. We have nothing in the bag of tricks to stop the next recession besides more debt. That is really what worries me.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:17 AM

2,788 posts, read 1,343,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SWFL_Native View Post
We are “fine” as our entire lifestyle has been funded and extended by the use of debt. Add up all public (National, state, municipal) and private (student, auto, home, cc) debt and the numbers become staggering. They will have no tools to get out of the next one as more debt begets more debt and eventually there will be no more buyers.

At that point the dollar will crash your homes and retirement plans become worthless and we will see stagflation in the likes we have never seen before in this country. Good luck
!
you do realize that some one has been predicting this for the last oh 50 years that I can remember. If I remember correctly when President Obama was elected was the latest that we were supposed to implode.

just sayin.

now don't get me wrong, yes we will have a recession. absolutely, just like we've always had.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliza61nyc View Post
you do realize that some one has been predicting this for the last oh 50 years that I can remember. If I remember correctly when President Obama was elected was the latest that we were supposed to implode.

just sayin
https://mythfighter.com/2009/11/24/f...ing-time-bomb/

Old 05-13-2019, 08:20 AM

1,568 posts, read 350,310 times
Quote:
The system got fooked the minute Nixon took us off the gold standard.
LOL! No mainstream economist believes in tying the quantity of money to a shiny metal you dig out of the ground.

Old 05-13-2019, 08:28 AM

2,788 posts, read 1,343,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoonose View Post
:d

Old 05-13-2019, 09:00 AM
Status: "Any Russian written here is for the benefit of trolls" (set 12 days ago)

4,645 posts, read 1,913,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J746NEW View Post
I recommend "The Warning" which foretold of the coming crisis.
https://www.pbs.org/video/frontline-the-warning/

Brooksley Born was completey ignored and was told to take a hike and they smeared her name in newspapers across the nation.

Most people on both sides at least have come to an agreement that the wealthy control the government and are responsible for many of the boondoggles that happen in the government. Politicians only answer to the deep pockets that buy them off.

I did watch that. She gave her warning in the late nineties and was ahead of her time. She was the Chairman of whatever government agency oversees commodities. The powers that be Greenspan, Bernanke, and others saw that so many were making so much money that she was ostracized and ultimately stripped of her power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or