U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2019, 06:41 AM

6,628 posts, read 1,658,719 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I'm not exactly sure whether Chick fil A/McDonald's charge exactly the same price in the high cost of living areas like Manhattan or SoCal, but at least they seem to charge similar prices?

Does that mean their profits in the high cost of living areas lower?

When I had an office in San Francisco the McDonald's next to me had much higher prices than the ones in Arizona I was used to. However there was a Little Caesars that sold $5 pizza near my house in the Bay Area and I have no idea how they survived with those prices.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2019, 06:43 AM

69,988 posts, read 70,534,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oklazona Bound View Post
When I had an office in San Francisco the McDonald's next to me had much higher prices than the ones in Arizona I was used to. However there was a Little Caesars that sold $5 pizza near my house in the Bay Area and I have no idea how they survived with those prices.
as you see with mcdonalds company owned stores can have different prices then franchised stores and franchised stores need to vary from each other

Old 05-12-2019, 06:44 AM

6,628 posts, read 1,658,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I worked at a Long Term Care/Rehab facility and our facility was the biggest money maker of the other 9 facilities in Las Vegas. Our facility helped to subsidize the other facilities that weren't making as much money or were money losers.

Isn't that a similar system to fast food chains?

I doubt that with McDonald's since most are local or regional franchises.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:02 AM

5,745 posts, read 2,780,024 times
It gets more complex abroad because it's also more related to supply chain issues.
- In Guadalajara, Mexico our usual order at McDonalds is about $6 (total for two people)
- In Bangkok, Thailand the exact same meal at McDonalds costs about $10

Obviously they are both relatively low cost of living places and it's possible to eat for cheaper, especially in Thailand where we can both eat a good lunch for $3. I assume the difference is that beef is fairly common and even an major export product in Mexico, whereas beef isn't nearly as common on menus in Thailand and definitely not a local commodity like chicken/pork/shrimp. Cheese is also probably a factor. There is even a Taco Bell in Bangkok with no beef or beans on the menu since it's just not possible for the margins they need.

Last edited by lieqiang; 05-12-2019 at 07:16 AM..

Old 05-12-2019, 07:40 AM

10,995 posts, read 7,467,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I'm not exactly sure whether Chick fil A/McDonald's charge exactly the same price in the high cost of living areas like Manhattan or SoCal, but at least they seem to charge similar prices?

Does that mean their profits in the high cost of living areas lower?
Their prices are often higher there. A long time ago in Atlantic City their prices for a McD on the boardwalk was 20% higher than elsewhere.

But in expensive areas like Manhattan they can also make the money by selling more.

I see that McD has raised prices on many things. Now a McDouble that was on the dollar menu many years is $1.69 to $1.89 in non expensive areas, this while many food prices such as meats have come down quite a bit. I think McD is raising prices while they wait for $15 an hour to be implemented in more places.

Old 05-12-2019, 07:45 AM

5,216 posts, read 2,154,958 times
It's a volume model. Ever been to the McDonald's in Times Square?

Old 05-12-2019, 07:46 AM

69,988 posts, read 70,534,675 times
yep , its huge

Old 05-12-2019, 01:58 PM

1,545 posts, read 516,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lieqiang View Post
It gets more complex abroad because it's also more related to supply chain issues.
- In Guadalajara, Mexico our usual order at McDonalds is about $6 (total for two people)
- In Bangkok, Thailand the exact same meal at McDonalds costs about $10
Have you ever read about the Big Mac Index? It's an indication of the purchasing power of various currencies, calculated every year by comparing the price of a Big Mac in that country (converted to $US at current exchange rates) to an average price for a Big Mac in the US. Typically, the Japanese yen and some of the Scandinavian currencies have the least buying power.

Old 05-12-2019, 03:34 PM

4,683 posts, read 2,562,416 times
In many cases they can make it up on volume. The hourly wage + material costs are relatively low for fast food even in high COL markets. As long as they have predictable demand curves/times they can staff accordingly and be highly profitable due to scale.

My BIL is a district manager for Taco Bell in a relatively high COL market and he’s shared his P&L with me. Breakfast is terrible by anything from lunch to the midnight drunk munchies crowd and they are making bank.

Old 05-13-2019, 05:23 AM

3,568 posts, read 3,462,414 times
Fast Food places in Student areas or in town-center with pedestrian traffic do advertise lot of Discount offers to attract customers. Those places are generally devoid of car parking.

Fast Food places with more space for parking, closer to Residential areas will not offer Discount combos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or