U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2019, 11:58 AM

8,818 posts, read 3,861,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lchoro View Post
McDonald's is closing in on $10 for sandwich, fries, and drink. The breakfast meals are around 5-6 dollars. Five Guys charges for a burger what McDonald's charges for a combo, but they really hit you if you order fries or a drink. You can easily hit $30 for two people at Five Guys unless you share the greasy fries.
I've had 2 of the worst Big Mac meals of my life in two different McD's in Mesa AZ this year. One last night in fact. 8 dollars and change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2019, 01:39 PM

2,693 posts, read 4,628,005 times
The McDonald's near my workplace in downtown Seattle definitely has higher prices and a tiny value menu vs the ones out in the suburbs that we occasionally go to.

Old 05-15-2019, 10:48 PM

4,377 posts, read 2,516,702 times
When we were in Waikiki, we ate breakfast at a very busy Denny's. We were surprised the meals cost the same or only about $1more than at home, in a mid sized city.

I used to work at a fast food place for a while. They had signs posted by the time clock to show how waste wouod impact revenue by listing the cost of several items. A basic hamburger was $0.17 in total cost, for example. They sold for $0.79.

Distribution centers and food processors for the very large fast food chain can get costs down low. They buy all a farmers beef, for example at a predetermined cost locjed in based on market value. This distribution center distributes to all the stores and franchises in a certain zone. So if a beef patty in that $0.17 hamburger is $0.05for tye whole production lot, it is distributed to all in that zone at a cost of $0.05. So all the stores in that zone have a fixed cost and can a) set the same retail price in Podunk town as in Huge city, USA, qnd b) the only markup needed that varies is costs of things lije labor, and utilities to create said burger, so price can be the same or different depending on other associated costs.

Buying/ processing in bulk at a central center helps to keep costs down. And that fixed cost is what is charged to all stores buying the supplies. Its the variable expenses, wages, utilities, taxes that may alter the final retail price.

Same with promotions you'll note that a chain may advertise a certain price point, combo deal or the like ALWAYS followed by " available only at participating locations ".

Old 05-16-2019, 12:08 AM

2 posts, read 618 times
We were at the airport in Honolulu last week and we paid $15 for a Burgerking hamburger meal. Shocking to say the least.

Old 05-16-2019, 07:29 AM

1,592 posts, read 535,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAN2102 View Post
We were at the airport in Honolulu last week and we paid $15 for a Burgerking hamburger meal. Shocking to say the least.
All airports are awful when it comes to buying food. You're a captive audience and they know it. You just have to suspend any notion of realistic food prices and fork over your money if you want to eat.

(Sorry for the tangent but I'm a frequent traveler so this is a big complaint of mine.)

Old 05-17-2019, 03:39 PM

656 posts, read 156,014 times
Low rent and no taxes help a bunch.

Old 05-17-2019, 04:21 PM

7,245 posts, read 2,538,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMAN2102 View Post
Well, you're doubly captive there. I wonder if a Honolulu BK is all that much cheaper...

Old 05-18-2019, 12:22 PM

30,863 posts, read 19,522,984 times
They don't in Alaska and Hawaii.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs

Old Yesterday, 07:41 AM

1,259 posts, read 671,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodHombre View Post
I'm not exactly sure whether Chick fil A/McDonald's charge exactly the same price in the high cost of living areas like Manhattan or SoCal, but at least they seem to charge similar prices?

Does that mean their profits in the high cost of living areas lower?
GoodHombre, no it does not. There are also some advantages and often greater competition within higher cost of living areas.

Among all distributors, costs of the same specific product FOB from those products' production locations are somewhat similar. They begin to differ more in their last legs of their delivery process, and their prices may significantly differ for services necessary to deliver the product to consumers within higher cost of living locations.

Respectfully, Supposn

I believe these following responses are particularly in agreement with my opinion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quietude View Post
Most chains have a wide range of pricing, from competitive suburban to gate side airport. Most people don't really notice.

And, it tells you something about their unit profits.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
Manhattan McDonald’s tend to drop out of a lot of special offers and don’t take part
and MathJak's #8 response.

Old Today, 10:48 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, originally from SF Bay Area
29,325 posts, read 53,660,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
The McDonald's near my workplace in downtown Seattle definitely has higher prices and a tiny value menu vs the ones out in the suburbs that we occasionally go to.
Everything is higher in Seattle than on the eastside, gas is another good example.

The two McD in Issaquah were recently remodeled to accommodate the new self-service kiosks, and now the one near us in Sammamish is closed except for the drive-up while being remodeled. Fewer cashiers helps them maintain prices in higher COL areas.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...61GlW_yRcGA2eK
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or