U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-13-2019, 08:04 PM

7,098 posts, read 2,465,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matthew_MI View Post
Why do we even need to trade with China at all? It's been one sided, and they can't play fair. Rip the bandaide off and cut ties with China. Most of what they ship to the U.S. is low quality junk, and it's not as cheap anymore. U.S. farmers can grow crops to feed consumers in the U.S. Less hog farms is a good thing, the factory hog farms destroy the environment, and make those living around them miserably sick. The GMO soybeans, Roundup ready crops also destroy the environment, there's already a decline in bees to pollinate, less butterflies, etc. Let China produce their own food.
Even better, let's just learn to live without foods or any produced goods. That'll fix things.

Old 05-13-2019, 10:58 PM

8,816 posts, read 3,849,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
The problem is they really canít ....they hold so much that we are joined at the hip .... anything that hurts our treasuries hurts them too..... it would be like the bank you owe a load of money to trying to sabotage your business for spite .
They simply have quit exchanging USD's for Treasuries. What China is doing, is limiting their Treasury debt holdings at around $1.1-1.2T, and they are using their newly accumulated USD's to help expand their Global Influence via the Belt and Road programs. USD's still reign supreme in the world, vs Yuan not always so welcome or useful.

https://ticdata.treasury.gov/Publish/mfh.txt

https://www.strategic-culture.org/ne...-already-over/

Old Yesterday, 07:39 AM

4,995 posts, read 2,164,742 times
I do not pretend to be even close to an expert here, but I do feel something had to be done about chinas unfair trade practices. In the long run won't this hurt them more because US companies/importers will simply take their manufacturing to other countries?
https://www.ndtv.com/opinion/how-ind...de-war-1829191

Old Yesterday, 07:42 AM

69,991 posts, read 70,534,675 times
the problem with fixing what we call unfair trade imbalances , is they usually help one group but hurt another ... things may not be better , just different .... we have to be very careful about calling different better many times .

Old Yesterday, 07:50 AM

2,646 posts, read 2,315,270 times
If it's one step back to take two steps forward, I can get behind that.

But Trump does have to deliver something on this front or he will lose a lot of support from his educated base who look past his personal issues and held their nose to vote for him because they thought he would be better for the economy than a liberal alternative.

Old Yesterday, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I do not pretend to be even close to an expert here, but I do feel something had to be done about chinas unfair trade practices. In the long run won't this hurt them more because US companies/importers will simply take their manufacturing to other countries?
https://www.ndtv.com/opinion/how-ind...de-war-1829191
The simple answer is not to trade with China. IMO a very stupid thing for the USA to do. The reason we trade with China is because it saves all our consumers money.

I would ask what business does the USA have in the Westernizing of China?

What is happening right now, is that the current preferred group of displaced blue collar workers are leading the charge. IMO we should work from inside the USA with our own systems to improve their lot, not tax and raise so many prices of goods on all our people. Or create some unnecessary conflict with China.

Old Yesterday, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
the problem with fixing what we call unfair trade imbalances , is they usually help one group but hurt another ... things may not be better , just different .... we have to be very careful about calling different better many times .
How does one 'balance' trade between 2 nations with different lifestyles, wages, expectations, currencies, national economic cycles and national economic goals? Most of which are moving targets.

What I find is that most people have yet to realize that China has already been steering and redirecting their economy from massive industrial/infrastructure/export and towards its people as consumers. Has to be if they are to be first world. IMO they will be within a generation.

Old Yesterday, 08:25 AM

279 posts, read 86,799 times
Offshoring manufacturing to China doesn't save money anymore. China has matured, wages have gone up, and younger people don't want to work in factories. Plus with automation, where something is made is less of an issue. China is a nation of consumers now. The younger workers get labeled as lazy/entitled, but I don't blame them for not wanting to work in those factories. All day on your feet, sleeping, eating, living in the factory, with almost no life or personal time. Life is too short to waste it like that.

Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM

1,030 posts, read 455,085 times
Higher prices = More jobs in America

That equation actually is economically false. There is no demand. Artificially inflated higher prices actually reduces economic activities.

Worst, no one in the world besides China can manufacture that much with that much variety. American consumer economy has a dependency on China. Decades ago, American manufacturing lost to China due to low labor cost in China. Things evolved since then. Itís not that simple anymore.

Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM

7,098 posts, read 2,465,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffdoorgunner View Post
I do not pretend to be even close to an expert here, but I do feel something had to be done about chinas unfair trade practices.
Can you list these unfair trade practices, or is this another Humpty-Dumpty phrase where everyone just knows what it means?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Economics